Hoot 04-May-18
Drop Tine 04-May-18
Tweed 04-May-18
happygolucky 04-May-18
Jeff in MN 04-May-18
RutnStrut 05-May-18
Hoot 05-May-18
29-Apr-18
The ground around Hayward is virtually finally snow free. Still some stuff on north facing slopes and where there was drifting. These warm days and sunshine have saved some of the deer. I hear they are reducing the doe tags in some of the counties around here. One doe that I reported had a broken or locked up rear leg quite a while ago was recently spotted by our neighbor across the street. If she made it this long she will probably do just fine thru summer, hopefully even have a fawn.

This morning I went out to put a few apples out for the deer. When I broke the first one in half two deer virtually ran to me. This is the first time they actually came while I was outside. The larger one (doe) came within 5' of me several times while I was talking to her she was chomping down apple chunks. The smaller one (small even for a yearling) was the cautious one. Kept watching, never got closer than 20 yards, and did not eat the chunks that I threw her direction. Smokey told me that some are bedding right up against his house foundation. I am speculating that they know they are warmer, and safer by our homes where the yote and wolf are more likely to avoid. I see a fox frequently but never a yote even tho I hear the yote frequently in the evening not all that far away. Maybe half mile.

29-Apr-18
Yesterday (4-28) my wife and I drove from northern Dane County to Marshfield. From what I'd been hearing I expected to start seeing snow covered ground about the level of Montello...Nope!...the ground was pretty well clear of snow up to and into the Marshfield area. Glad to see it...relief for the woodland critters!

Disturbingly though, we saw way too many road kills on I-90 & 94 & 39 and then Hwy .10 to Marshfield.....way, way too many...deer, turkeys, raccoon, and even a coyote. Not a good sight, hate to see it! Folks need to slow down!

29-Apr-18
Good to hear. I'm headed up Thursday.

29-Apr-18
Should have mentioned for you fishermen. The bay we are on usually opens about 5 days to a week earlier than the main lake. The top layer of ice on the bay finally turned grey yesterday with streaks of white. I think the streaks of white are mostly snow drifts. The main lake is still pretty much white. I am totally sure the main lake will be ice a while past opener. The bay might open up right around opener but there probably is still close to 12 inches of ice under that top grey crust. Gonna be tough for marinas and other contractors to get all the docks in by Memorial day. If you are among those that contract for your dock to be put in you might want to consider the possibility that you might be doing it yourself if you want it in 'early'. Just don't be in such a hurry that you put it in while ice is still floating around the lake, you you could loose it with the wrong wind.

29-Apr-18
Hey Jeff - Same here. Snow just on the north slopes. Found a deer kill while hiking a couple of days ago. Hard to tell, but I'm betting wolves as there was absolutely nothing left but hair all over the place and a little red stained snow. Looks like ice will be on for the opener. I've heard May 15th for ice out on most lakes.

29-Apr-18
Same here... snow mostly gone small ponds opening up, but still ice on lakes.

29-Apr-18
May 15 is certainly possible on some lakes. I think our bay will be open before that. Maybe the 8th. I did notice a shallow dark water pond just down the road totally opened up in the last day or two.

29-Apr-18
The snow is 99.9% gone here in Rusk County. I was on two fires today and there were tons of others in surrounding counties. On the way home at dusk there were deer everywhere. In the fields. In the roads. In yards. I had several in my field and three in my yard when I got home. I'm seeing lots of critters everywhere I go. Grouse, turkey, geese, ducks, raccoons. I think winter ended just in time.

30-Apr-18
I was in Rice Lake this morning and the north end is open. Looked at some of the larger lakes on the way home and more water showing along shore. If we get this wind and rain they're predicting it will speed things up.

03-May-18
Its been two months since my foot surgery, finally was about to get out in the woods here in Northern Bayfield County. Ticks are out, not as heavy as I would have thought but I am sure with this warmer weather it will explode. Only snow here is in the Barrens and that is only about 10%, every place else the snow is gone. Wolves got a few deer in the area. I did find a nice rub line from the buck I was chasing last year, was hoping to find his sheds or even one of them but no luck so far, I know he made it through the Muzzle Loader season, just cross my fingers he made it threw this winter and the wolves. Going out to place some stands and bear baits with cameras tomorrow, excited to get the ball rolling. On my way to Wisconsin this morning I seen 4 dead bear, 3 deer. Deer are going crazy eating the new greens in the fields, all times of the day. Two photos attached, rub line and wolf deer kill, man they chew up those bones with ease.

03-May-18

MF's embedded Photo
MF's embedded Photo

03-May-18

MF's embedded Photo
MF's embedded Photo

03-May-18
Darn nice rub there Mike, hope you get him next year! I noticed a smaller rub in the background also, part of the same rub line I assume? You mentioned dead animals you saw, road kills I assume. I saw about the same last weekend on I-39 & 90 & 94 (no bear though), far too many to be comfortable with.

03-May-18
Speaking of roadkill bear. I have seen 4 on 53 south between Bloomer and Chippewa falls in the last 2 months. I have heard of 3 others in that stretch and 3 I know of between Bloomer and Chetek. Does that seem like a lot of roadkill bears in one small area? I have not seen or heard of that many in a short time since I moved to Bloomer in 2009.

04-May-18
Rut - For what ever reason there is always a lot of bear roadkills in those areas. I see them often too. I can understand why so many in that stretch. A friend got his bear on the last weekend of bear season a few years back on Hwy 53 by Chetek.

04-May-18
The same thing on Hwy. 51 and S by Tomahawk. Year after year there are always a lot of road killed Bear there.

04-May-18
Pretty sure that's the stretch RC hit one on his way back from his bear hunt. Until that time I've never heard of bears getting hit.

Think its because of greater density?

04-May-18
Still some snow at our place in Three Lakes in Oneida county. The shoreline by our place is now open to around 30' or so out but plenty of ice overall. This late ice will save plenty of Eyes from the dreaded spears.

04-May-18
I keep wondering how much the late ice will affect Loon and Eagle nesting. I have seen way less eagles near my place in Hayward. Does that simply mean they did all their 'fishing' over the open Namekagon river? Not sure.

05-May-18
I did some scouting today and did find 2 dead fawns. No chance of car kills where these were. No visible signs of trauma either. Possibly starvation?

05-May-18
Tweed - RC hit his bear on HWY 63 near Drummond.

• Sitka Gear