Arizona
Contributors to this thread:
CATK 29-Apr-18
wapiti1 09-May-18
CATK 11-May-18
wapiti1 21-May-18
creed 21-May-18
29-Apr-18
After six years of trying, have finally drawn a cow tag for 5BS this coming season. Unfortunately, my hunting partner won't be able to make the hunt with me 14-20 Sept, since he had the good fortune of being drawn for an Archery Mule Deer Tag in New Mexico during the same timeframe. In addition to having him accompany me during my hunt, the other key part in having him along was to help pack out elk meat if I was fortunate enough to drop a cow. With that, was just curious if anyone knows of a pack-out service that might be available anywhere from where I'm staying at Happy Jack the whole way up to Flagstaff. Didn't want to pursue a full-on guide operation. I know how to read a map, scout an area, develop a hunting plan, and quarter an elk if I kill one. At 62, having just undergone back surgery a month ago, I wanted to see if there were any nearby services that I could obtain / coordinate for. If anyone has any suggestions, please don't hesitate to PM me. Many thanks - John

09-May-18
I'm headed to 5BSouth next week to help out with fire related business. I'll check it out for you and PM you when I get back if no one else replies. I drew a bull tag for the same season (5BS).

11-May-18
Richard, Congratulations to you on your draw. Sounds good, and thanks much for the PM. Am planning to make a trip up that way around the 4th of July timeframe to at least walk a few areas that I've done a map recon of. Have also located a pack horse outfit that I need to contact to see if can contract their services in the event I drop something. Thanks again!! -John

21-May-18
I just returned from 5B South and the NFS is really worried about fire in that area. They shut down some new areas to vehicle travel today. Nothing in the Unit, but all around it. The area south of Hwy 87 on the Rim is closed even though the current fire in the area is under control. West of Mormon Lake is also closed. There is a packer near Clints well that rents horses and will find a packer. Mogollan Rim???? Sorry I lost my note. But they run a sizable horse ride operation right there by Clints where the road goes south to the rim. I took some time to scout in 5B South and I'm optimistic about everything except the fire closures. I may have to use my point guard. Good luck

21-May-18
I hunted 5BS 3-4 years ago when they had the fire in the Turkey Mt. area. As soon as it quit burning elk were back in the area. It didn't bother them at all. In fact I think the opposite happened. The monsoon stimulated lots of new growth in the burn area.

• Sitka Gear