Trapper 03-May-18
smokey 03-May-18
casekiska 03-May-18
Tweed 03-May-18
GVS 03-May-18
29-Apr-18

casekiska's embedded Photo
casekiska's embedded Photo
I am aware that archery/bowhunting history does not interest many bowhunters on this forum, none-the-less I thought this might prove interesting to some.

Top Photo - Racine, WI, Spring 1937, Roy I. Case with his son Quentin. Each is holding a Turkish style recurved composite bow made by Roy. These two bows were Roy's attempt to copy the bows made during the time of the Ottoman Empire. They were made using natural sinew, wood (probably maple), animal glue, and Asiatic water buffalo horn ordered from Turkey (most likely in 1935).

Middle Photo - The two bows in the photo. Note the longer of the two bows has "curled" quite a bit more in response to the years.

Bottom Photo - Close-up view of the handle sections of the bows & the picture.

29-Apr-18
Very cool pics Case, one of these days I would love to visit the museum.

30-Apr-18
Hey Case, did you take the pics? I know you are pretty old. I remember seeing a dinosaur mount at your house. Did you see the e mail where I said we were invited back to Dane?

30-Apr-18
Albino - Yep, two of the three pics anyways. Yep, that was my trophy T-Rex. Yep, looking forward to it - good time last year!

03-May-18
Case, you are just too easy. It was a good time with good people.

03-May-18
Thanks for sharing Case. I wonder what the brace height is on those?

03-May-18
Nice post. I am always interested in this type of information. Keep 'em coming.

03-May-18
I do not recall ever seeing an actual photograph of a Turkish bow that is strung, but I have seen plenty of sketches of them in the strung position. They always seem to have a pretty high brace height...guessing it to be 10 - 14" or maybe even somewhat higher. Further, I understand that to string one of these bows the archer needed to be sitting on his duff on the ground, and somehow one of the bow limbs was braced against his lower leg or ankle and the other limb was bent backwards by hand. I've heard tell too that a cord/rope was sometimes used to assist in the process. Frankly, I can't imagine how the heck it was done. It's probably one of those things where when you see it you think, "Of course, why didn't I think of that."

A bit more info about the bows & photos above...the top pic is over 80 years old and was taken by ??? The other two photos were taken just a few days ago by this bowhunter. The bows are at present NOT in the WI Bowhunting Museum in Clintonville. They are in private hands and I have been told they will be loaned to the museum for display at a future date. The museum does have plenty of Roy Case tackle on display at this time. It's all authentic and certainly an important & integral part of WI bowhunting history.

If you are at all interested in bowhunting history I suggest a visit to the WI Bowhunting Museum in Clintonville. The museum is normally open five days a week during normal business hours and admission is free. Please call ahead to be certain the museum will be open on the day you want to visit: (715) 823-4670. Family friendly and no charge.

03-May-18
Amazing. Can you imagine trying to string those?

03-May-18
I think those are the bows that I saw about 23 years ago at the D&T Expo. Caleb had a display there.

• Sitka Gear