Boris 06-May-18
Boris 06-May-18
AZBUGLER 06-May-18
dgildy 11-May-18
Boris 11-May-18
AZBUGLER 12-May-18
Dead Aim 02-Jun-18
02-May-18
Hi all, I just learned I will be transferring with my job from PA to Chandler, AZ. Good news is I’ll be back in the West (grew up in South Dakota). Bad news is I’ve got to go through another learning curve. Any advice would be appreciated. Access to good hunting areas, areas for housing with reasonable commute to Chandler but still able to get out into the countryside quickly. How far to decent elk, deer, etc? Javelina seem like they would be a blast. Archery shops and ranges? Thanks in advance, Dave G.

02-May-18
Hey Dave, Welcome! Most of Az is public land so, lots of access. Depending on where in Chandler but, Johnson Ranch and Anthem are east of Chandler and are semi rural. You would be minutes to hunting areas. Elk is a draw but they are only about an hour away in the Payson area. Mule deer and Javelina are close by.

02-May-18
Dave: Feel free to give me a call, (480)760-3868 (I live next door in Gilbert, Az.). Be happy to introduce you to things here in Ariz.

02-May-18
If this will be your first ever summer in Chandler, you're in for a shock! Haha

Make sure your vehicle has AC! :)

06-May-18
Dave,

Welcome to Arizona, I moved here from Rochester New York in 1971, not like the east, you get a license and put in for a draw, antelope is almost impossible, deer, elk, and javelin is possible, look up AZG&F, Arizona's hunting and fishing website. Look for housing in Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa, Apache Junction a Queen Creek.

Best Regards Fred Meyer 480-363-1981

06-May-18
Enjoy driving on the 10. That is a trip. (nuts-o)

06-May-18
Enjoy driving on the 10. That is a trip. (nuts-o) Were in Pa. are you from? erie, is were I am from.

06-May-18
Welcome to the AZ Dave! Bad news is that you can’t just get a license and go hunting. The good news is that IMHO you are in one of the best states in the country for trophy quality. We have lots and lots of public land to hunt in. Some great opportunities exist for deer and javelina within a few minutes of you. The desert can be awesome in the winter! After that, head 1 1/2 hours up the 87 and you’ll be in the pines and 30 degrees cooler. Lots of great camping, some great summer 3D shoots, and pretty country. Archery Headquarters has you covered as far as bow shops in your area go. Start earning bonus points right away for deer, elk, and antelope! Enjoy our great state. - Chris

11-May-18
Thanks guys. I will be calling when I get out there in June. How often can I expect to be able to draw an elk tag or deer tag as a resident? Another bonus is that I will be much closer to CO and WY than I am now (Pittsburgh), so those will be options as well. Dave

11-May-18
I will be in Pittsburgh on the 17th. At Alleng. General Hospital. Then my wife and I are heading to ikea.

12-May-18
For archery bull elk (September hunt) you’re realistically looking at 5-14 years in between tags unfortunately. The range depends on the unit you apply for. The “easiest” units to draw typically take 7 bonus points to get into the max points pool. Much easier draw odds for the November archery seasons where you could get a tag every few years. The good thing about the AZ draw is that you always have a chance to draw a tag, even with zero points.

Deer archery tags are OTC for the majority of the state. Rifle deer tags can be fairly easily drawn also, depending on the unit. The AZ strip and the Kaibab Plateau are the toughest draws.

02-Jun-18

• Sitka Gear