Mathews Inc.
A Bear shows up at the Baseball Game ...
Connecticut
Contributors to this thread:
Ace 02-May-18
N8tureBoy 04-May-18
soapdish 04-May-18
nehunter 04-May-18
soapdish 04-May-18
Rackem 19-May-18
N8tureBoy 20-May-18
02-May-18

Ace's embedded Photo
Ace's embedded Photo
Ace's embedded Photo
Ace's embedded Photo

Ace's Link

The appearance of a furry fourth outfielder sent players scurrying for the dugouts at a high school baseball game in Simsbury Tuesday.

As the final out of the third or fourth inning of a JV contest between Simsbury and Plainville was being recorded, players, coaches and spectators spotted a black bear beyond the unguarded outfield grass, prompting the enaction of “emergency action plan” measures, according to Simsbury High Athletic Director Jeff Pinney. Simsbury Black Bear Sighting Simsbury High JV players were in the process of recording the final out of an inning when the black bear was sighted. (Courtesy of Scott Kerr)

Pinney said the situation was handled in accordance with how the school would react to the appearance of a wild animal on campus, which would result in a lockdown and an evacuation to the “safest close location.”

In this case the players were sheltered in the dugouts while an on-site trainer rode a golf cart through the area where the bear had been seen. It moved along quickly and the game was resumed, Pinney said.

“It happens,” he said, citing the heavily wooded area surrounding the school’s athletic fields. “It’s certainly a little bit outside the realm of typical athletic department activity, but we’re always making sure kids are safe.”

04-May-18
Looks like he was playing center field

04-May-18
Can you imagine the outfielders conversation, "it's your ball, bs it's yours, I'm not getting it"

04-May-18
Kinda looks photoshopped.

04-May-18
Most likely a cell phone pic. My wife took some pics of one of our boys the other day and had the same look

19-May-18
It is real. I was at the the field next to the baseball field. I was told it came back to the field all the way to the pitchers mound.

20-May-18
Thats what I hate about baseball. Its such a slow moving game. Every other pitch the catcher, short stop and bears decide to have a conference at the pitchers mound....

• Sitka Gear