Contributors to this thread:
Zim1 03-May-18
LBshooter 13-May-18
1boonr 14-May-18
Zim1 14-May-18
Tooth 14-May-18
Zim1 14-May-18
03-May-18
Anyone know the date of the proficiency test this year? Due to my marriage situation I’d like to get back in after several years out. Thanks.

13-May-18
First fri/sat of June.

14-May-18
What does Marriage have to do with it?

14-May-18
I quit hunting JTA for years in favor of public far more distant from Chicago. But got married and wife will move here in July. So she will be here this hunting season and may not like my usual hunt travel habits. Not used to this. But just for one year. After this she will stay at her condo in China every fall ~3 months. Just wanted to post for my friends who know why I quit JTA previously. Will likely return to Midewin some as well this year.

14-May-18
I haven't bow hunted public land in IL yet, was just at midewin for the bison fest 2 weekends ago. Saw some info about hunting, then went to look at the state regs & couldn't figure it out very easily. Do you have to apply for a site specific permit through the state to bow hunt midewin similar to the spring turkey permits? I only found gun permit apps for special hunt areas. Thanks for help in advance.

14-May-18
No. Bow hunting at Midewin is OTC and no proficiency test like JTA. You just go pick up a permit at the visitor center any time. In a way I miss it. Had some good memories, but ultimately way too much company for me. JTA is better managed for our populated area, but quality not much better. They have two archery proficiency tests. Kind of fun participating in those. Some real clowns provide good entertainment especially if it's very windy!

• Sitka Gear