>>>--arrow1--> 06-May-18
Jeff in MN 06-May-18
>>>--arrow1--> 06-May-18
>>>--arrow1--> 06-May-18
skookumjt 10-May-18
Jeff in MN 11-May-18
>>>--arrow1--> 14-May-18
05-May-18
Recently The Cdac committee of Ashland and Price Co. recommended NO doe tags for 2018. We had one of the worst springs on recorded with record snow falls. The deer that are left are in really bad shape. The wdnr has over ruled the cdac recommendations and are going to issue doe tags. Residents in both Co. are starting an email campaign to the NRB objecting to the wdnr's issuing and doe tags. I received a call yesterday from a member of the NRB that wants to hear more from the people. If you have any interest now or in the future of the status of our deer herd please email the the NRB and object to the doe tags. Send your email to [email protected] She will forward it to the NRB. Thanx for you help.

05-May-18
There probably are some farming areas that may still need some doe taken out but that can easily be done with crop damage tags that focus the reduction and limits the number killed in small areas where it is needed. Might be good to mention this in your letters.

05-May-18
Email sent thanks for the heads up. I would suggest that everyone should send a message. This sort of thing should not get a pass by anyone.

05-May-18
This situation just reinforces why people think entities like cdac, spring hearings, etc are a joke. If the state isn't going to listen, why bother? I don't hunt in that area, but I'll send an email if you actually believe it will do some good.

05-May-18
Can you post what the winterkill was vs average? Was the browse supply diminished. You could be right but I am curious about the rational using on the ground observations. I would be willing to email just need to be informed. Nice to see you are not taking this without pushback.

05-May-18
What are the numbers they are presenting? What are the counties goals? Increase, maintain, or decrease? Looking at the WSI map both areas appear to be in the Moderate range. Much like Lincoln County we had subzero temps and snow but the days that we had both at the same time were minimal keeping the numbers down.

Be glad to help but want to be informed to know what to write.

05-May-18
No single idea will please everyone.

05-May-18
Been saying it since the CWD debacle in my area...just because you have them, doesn't mean you've got to fill them.

However...human nature being what it is.............

06-May-18
Ashland Co. was to increase the herd. The wsi was severe, the deer population from the NE to the SW has very low numbers, A state forester also reported very low numbers in the logging jobs. A private and county forester reported there is no browse problem. The wdnr has want doe tags since cdac started. Mature bucks are all but gone. Over overwhelmingly the online survey and attendance at the (meeting/100%) wanted no doe tags. Our biologist made two comments that really supersized the attendance 1. antlers mean nothing to him. 2. when asked,,, he admits he doesn't get out of the office to survey areas, "logging jobs, Farmers-fields, etc. There are tools the Wdnr has to address over populated areas without affecting the the whole county. But they won't use them.

Thanx for your help.

06-May-18
Contrast what arrow1 said with what I heard at a Sawyer county meeting 2 or 3 years ago. They were discussing proposed antlerless tag numbers and proposed no doe tags. The DNR person that works with farmers regarding crop damage tags said straight out that he would easily handle the farm crop damage issues using crop damage tags without any doe tags being issued.

06-May-18
What is the name of that DNR person ? I'll call him to why its not being done in Ashland Co.

06-May-18
Jeff in mn I'm waiting for an answer please I will call.

10-May-18
Ashland WSI was moderate for the whole county essentially and there are higher deer numbers in parts of the county. Having a quota of 400 on private land seems to be a non issue to me.

11-May-18
I don't know the name of the guy but he was whomever was in charge of distributing crop damage tags in Sawyer county. Not sure if he is a member of the board or just at the meeting for his input. Could have been a DNR employee but I don't remember if he was wearing a uniform. He was more than just a normal attendee.

14-May-18
Skookumjt. With all due respect,,,,,,,, The Noaa wsi map that the wdnr showed at the cdac showed the dark blue bulge from the NE to the SW part of the county that was getting into the high numbers. TTHHAATT was before the heavy snow fall we had in april. I was in the timber this weekend as most and still found snow. When is the last time you visited a logging job in Ashland Co. in the winter ? When was the last time you even spent some time surveying the deer population in the part of the Co. I'm talking about ? I invite you to come up here and see for yourself. You live in an area with a high dpsm and you want to judge our problem hundreds of miles away with out coming here and surveying our part of the county. The wdnr has the tools to address other parts of the county if they feel the population is to high without sacrificing the rest of the Co. but refuse to use those tools. Your own words show your not to certain of what you are talking about. " Having a quota of 400 on private land (SEEMS) to be a non issue to me." The quota tags number is aprox. 1200 also. Of course you are part of the lame WCC. SOOOO no matter what the wdnr does you'll support. Remember we wouldn't have the cdac if the wdnr did their jobs in the first place. The over turning of the cdac recommendation by the wdnr just shows what a smoking mirror the cdac is. WASTE OF MONEY......

• Sitka Gear