JayD 11-May-18
hoppies56 11-May-18
JayD 12-May-18
Babysaph 12-May-18
Babysaph 12-May-18
hookman 12-May-18
Babysaph 12-May-18
07-May-18
I saw in the Sunday Woods and Waters section of the paper that state wild life officials have voted to create a new season Jan. 10-13 for primitive weapons only--longbows, recurves, and flint lock and percussion lock muzzle loaders only. No compounds, cross bows, or in-lines. They're calling it Mountaineer Heritage season. Looks like a lot of changes in regs in the coming season.

07-May-18
Cool. Will be there with my recurve

07-May-18
so I can't use my airgun?

07-May-18
Nope LOL Just one of those old inefficient traditional bows.

07-May-18
Interesting news!

07-May-18
I have a season like that now.

07-May-18
Me too hookman.

08-May-18
Steel broadheads, fancy arrows etc! No such thing as traditional.

08-May-18
I suspect steel broadheads were in use before either you or I were born...and I'm almost 75. :o) My dictionary still has a definition of "traditional" so it must still exist.

08-May-18

Jim Casto Jr's embedded Photo
Jim Casto Jr's embedded Photo
No such thing? Oh my. Saxton Pope and Art Young both shot steel broadheads. Metal arrowheads have been around since medieval times.

08-May-18
I don't use anything but fancy wood arrows.

08-May-18
I agree that traditional may not be for everyone but the ones that do it understand.

09-May-18
yep Hookman. It is not for everyone. But I would like to see a season where we can use the airgun. Not fair to let those guys out.

09-May-18
I mean leave those guys out. They need a special season too

09-May-18
Babysaph - pull your tongue out of your cheek and bite it. LOL. :-)

09-May-18
Who has made and shot broadheads made from rock?

09-May-18
Who has made and shot broadheads made from rock?

09-May-18
Don't laugh Lil Bear. Its a comin

10-May-18
Well actually a lot of bowhunters still knap their own heads out of flint, obsidian, chert and other materials. Hookman makes some of the most beautiful cane arrows tipped with knapped heads that you will ever see. There is so much interest in such traditional archery pursuits that Traditional Bowhunter Magazine devotes a column in every issue to those skills.

10-May-18
I agree. I have seen some of Hookman's arrows. They are a work of art. I don't pay much attention to the guys that say you have to wear a loin cloth to truly be traditional. I shoot what I like and don't care what someone else shoots. I just don't like all of that easier equipment in a bow season but that is not my call. I don't allow it in my bow season on my land.

10-May-18
There’s Plenty Of Season Now !! What’s the Point ?? I can hunt that way from the get go if I choose ! Why no something that’s actually Beneficial ??

10-May-18
I can't remember if this question has been answered . If you tag out in the 2018 season will you be able to hunt in the new season on January ? I assume so and I also assume that if you kill a deer during the January season it will be one of the tags for the following season in the fall. I hate to assume lol

10-May-18
Good question MP. and you are right Ron I hunt that way from start to finish. But just another way to sell a tag and have dead deer. I am wondering if you will have to buy a separate tag. LOL

10-May-18
JR, according to the latest issue of the Voice, license sales have not only not increased but have decreased by 14,179 between 2012 and 2016. Crossbows became legal for everybody in 2015, so they have not drawn more hunters into the ranks. That decrease in license sales is significant in terms of lost revenue for DNR. However, some of that apparent loss of license sales may be due to guys ageing out of the need to buy a license.

10-May-18
Mike, as it was explained to me by Gary Foster, the DNR calendar runs June to June. So any deer killed in January will apply to the previous years bag limit.

10-May-18
When do you buy a license? Is the new year Jan or June for licenses? If it is Jan then you would be checking a deer killed in jan on the previous years license. Will there be an extra tag to hunt the primitive season? If not then I'm not sure why they introduced the season.

11-May-18
Dnr calendar may rule June to June but license , run Jan to Jan , you would need a 2019 license so how could you check a deer on 2018 license, seem rather confusing .

11-May-18
2019 license, 2018 bag limit. May seem confusing but it ain't.

11-May-18
It is sort of like Spring Gobbler season - even though you may buy a licenses the first of a new year the Spring season is still part of 2017 - 2018 season.

I like the new season even though I don’t think it is going to make a big impact on revenue or in the harvest Numbers (season is not long enough and how many people will rush out to buy a primitive weapon for a few added days to the season?) I do like that it will allow for a few more days of hunting though.

11-May-18
So if i kill a doe with flintlock muzzleloader Jan 10 2019. Does it go toward my total doe kill for 2019? Is this correct ?

11-May-18
My understanding is it will count towards the 2018 - 2019 season and not the 2019 -2020 season.

11-May-18
So what your saying is if want to hunt 2019 Heritage season , you have to save a 2018 tag to use in 2019 correct ?

12-May-18
I would say yes that it would fall under the tags for the 2018 - 2019 season. Should know more when the new regs come out.

12-May-18
Well in smart enough to figure it out but once again makes no sense. Why not just have everyone jan to jan or June to june, oh wait. That would be too easy. I bet the reason is money?

12-May-18
No it goes toward 2018 limit. No one answered. Is there a fee for the tag? Yea most people will be done hunting by then but it will give them a few extra days to hunt and make a lil money for thr D N R. Might be a good time to kill a nice buck that is left behind from the year before. I was done hunting in early December last year and put out a trail camera and got 3 nice bucks on it in Jan.

12-May-18
It's all good, having the privilege to hunt at any time is such a great thing. Thank God for such a great place to live.

12-May-18
I agree Hookman. Just lucky to be able to hunt in a state with liberal seasons.

• Sitka Gear