Paul@thefort 18-May-18
Glunt@work 18-May-18
Treeline 18-May-18
JohnMC 18-May-18
Glunt@work 04-Jun-18
Grasshopper 04-Jun-18
Glunt@work 04-Jun-18
07-May-18
Thinking by tomorrow we should see results coming by in? Anyone have intel on that?

07-May-18
I believe the draw is some time between 6/4 - 6/8. I would love to see it happen sooner.

07-May-18
I don't think the tag numbers will be set until 05/10?

07-May-18
Ahh. I thought tag numbers for moose/sheep/goat was a couple months ago. Guess that was just sheep/goat.

07-May-18
All tag numbers were set at the May commission meeting.

07-May-18
From what I understand in the sheep / goat draw, your pref points go to zero a couple days before results are released.

So, keep checking your PPs....

07-May-18
This will be my 20th year of applying for a moose tag. It's about my turn.

07-May-18
20th? You're way behind

07-May-18
Well, I didn't draw sheep or goat, so I guess that means I'll definitely be drawing moose!

08-May-18
Ah the meeting was last week not this week.

08-May-18
30 + years since the first moose tag(s) were available in Colorado. It is a little cloudy on how it all went... started out as lottery, then went to points similar to elk or deer, then they converted that to the weighted point system. I cant remember if they purged the points or grandfathered those who had at least 3 already. Either way it has been over 30 years...

08-May-18
Results will be going out June 4-8th for the rest of the species

08-May-18
That would be a first for moose to be so late MM. Unless you truly have dependable inside info I still expect moose this week or next at latest. Can’t believe what is posted on website for draw and publication dates IMO...since the results always seem to come our sooner than the initially posted dates.

08-May-18
Hasn’t the moose draw been around the same time they do deer and elk last few years?

So I’d imagine they would do it around the same time again this year.

08-May-18
I really feel lucky this year!

08-May-18
Last year we heard about 575 codes on May 12th.

I think this year we have the planned dates for credit card charges already set. I think they will stick to those dates so successful cards don't get hit with big charges people aren't expecting.

Sandbrew

08-May-18
Sandbrew, I had the same thought.. however, as long as they stick to the date of June 20th to make payment as a fall back for declined cards, etc. I think the draws could happen sooner and they may not do the initial charge until June 4th and give guys until June 20th to complete payment if necessary.. just my two cents.. only because they have all the info they need at this point to start drawing

09-May-18
In the past moose happened a couple weeks prior to elk, deer, pronghorn. Then those three are separated from each other by about a week. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw something this week or next.

09-May-18
The draws typically happen on a Friday

09-May-18
Yeah, on Friday. That way everyone can go home and leave the fallout for Monday.

At least that's the way I'd do it. :)

09-May-18
They seem to be pretty good about sticking to what they post on their website, or updating it to be later in the case this year with Sheep and Goat-

11-May-18
maybe results with the hour?

11-May-18
9:45am - no pending charges - no loss of PPs

11-May-18
9:57 3 more minutes to wait, LOL

11-May-18
Mine is posted. I drew my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice all bull tags!!

11-May-18
Nice one John MC.

Wife drew.

11-May-18
KHunter, Where exactly are you looking? I have looked at my preference point page and have seen no change.

11-May-18
COHOYT I pretty sure his calendar is stuck on the wrong day and he thinks it is April 1st.

11-May-18
I put in for a Cow tag again but hope I don't pull a tag.

11-May-18

KHunter's embedded Photo
Moose Draw date listed on Calendar
KHunter's embedded Photo
Moose Draw date listed on Calendar
Moose draw posting date on the calendar

14-May-18
Open,,,Open,,,Open,,, :>)

15-May-18
Did you see your points move?

15-May-18
Mine haven't changed

15-May-18
30th year for me this year.

Stoneman, They didn't purge those with 3 points just started adding weighted points.

15-May-18
Probably close to 30 here as well. Moose started as totally random then was like sheep and goat where they cut off at 3 preference points as max with everyone at 3 in the random pool. Then they started the weighted point thing.

16-May-18
About 22,000 resident 1st choice apps last year. Any guesses on how many this year?

I will guess 45,000

16-May-18
at least

16-May-18
I know we went from one to two people in our house putting in for moose!

16-May-18
I'm betting 29,800 Glunt

16-May-18
It will be double what it was last year I bet

16-May-18
at least double and I wouldn't be surprised if its triple

16-May-18
Last year there were 25,723 Apps.

I think this year will be in the 33,000 area.

16-May-18
Sheep apps more than doubled. Moose is a far more ‘attainable/accessible’ dream hunt for most basic deer/elk hunting folks who dont usually strtch beyond those species to wrap their mind around. There were over 100,000 deer applicants last year which is perhawps as good a measure as any of the potential applicant pool that could jump in? The increase will be more than double the moose applicants last year and a higher percent increase will be seen than for sheep or goat for that reason. My ‘educated’ guess.

16-May-18
I am bet 50,000+. Sheep jump form 18k to 41k. I think moose will be quite a bit higher than that.

16-May-18
You will have the biggest jump in NR applications for moose, especially since they now dont have to do the paper app and no upfront costs

16-May-18
I just wish they'd do the draws already...

16-May-18
I wish they would delay the draw. That way I can have hope a little longer. I am pretty sure all my applications are rejected as soon as I hit submit.

16-May-18
I'm also betting 50,000 or so as well. I can wait to see this debacle.

16-May-18
57k!!!

16-May-18
54037... odds of winning this guessing game....better then the moose draw.

16-May-18
54037... odds of winning this guessing game....better then the moose draw.

16-May-18
Even though the increase is exponential and likely will continue in that trend, we have a couple of more years before the real impact becomes apparent, meaning those of us in the draw now still have hope for 3 more years...

16-May-18
This was my first year to apply for moose. I hope you guys who are guessing 50k plus are wrong but I'm afraid you are right. :(

16-May-18
75k total

16-May-18
Longcruise - out of curiosity, was the up front money the reason behind not applying in the past? Or was starting this year just a coincidence? The moose doesn't bother me as I was "that guy" last year but concerned about the other 2 that we just saw skyrocket.

DB

16-May-18
It was the up front money. My friends that are the one long weekend a year deer/elk hunters could never get their !@#$ together enough to put up the license cost and wait 6-8 weeks for a refund. It just wasn't that important to them. Every one of those friends put in for moose this year.

I'll be applying for my cow tag every year and not just doing points as I have previously done. I was one of "those" guys that drew bull moose with 3+2.

I'm betting 62,127 moose applicants this year.

16-May-18
Danny, that was a part of it but a very small part. I have never been very motivated to hunt moose. In many of our September hunting camps moose have been almost a camp pest. One year a Bullwinkle came through camp and pee'd on my chair. All in all they have not been that intriguing to me as an animal that I wanted to pursue. But, this year my grandson is done with college and we decided to apply together thinking that sometime in the future we will be able to make a hunt together. Doesn't look like that is going to happen!

This situation is going to have a huge impact across the board for all game species. The leftover draw may become history if there is nothing left over!

16-May-18
Longcruise I kind of agree with a lot of your last post, at least in Colorado, but I'd love to fill my freezer with one!

16-May-18
I guess its a good thing im gunna draw my moose tag this year and be done with it!

16-May-18
I don't know way you guy want to hunt a moose

17-May-18
Well, there's that freezer full of meat!

17-May-18
From: Mathewshootrphone 16-May-18Private Reply I don't know way you guy want to hunt a moose

Says the guy trying to draw a second moose tag

17-May-18
I think you guys are all way short of the mark.

There were over 198,000 1st choice applications for deer and over 205,000 for elk last year. The number of moose applications will likely be in that range.

Moose is in the same regulation book with deer and elk. Sheep and goat come out separate and a lot of people don’t or haven’t paid as much attention to those draws in the past.

I’m going to say 210,000 moose applications this year. And I am probably low.

17-May-18
??

17-May-18
There heavy to carry tastes pretty good why?

17-May-18
Shoot em close to the road then BP

17-May-18
Also betting that CPW and the Wildlife Commission will be so happy with all this new, free revenue coming into their coffers that they will not want to let go of it.

They will likely start looking for ways to generate even more! $$$ for points, required purchase of a hunting license by all applicants, etc.

Their BS reasons for raising resident hunting license fees will have been totally erased after this year’s drawing cycle.

How much ya wanna bet that they still raise all our hunting license fees as well?

17-May-18
I would pay more for the big 4

17-May-18
moose, goat, sheep = 3, who is #4

17-May-18
Moose, Mtn Goat, Desert and Rocky Mtn Bighorn Sheep

17-May-18
Me too....if you really want it, you find a way!!

17-May-18
Using cost to limit demand isn't just about being serious. Along with willingness to pay is the ability to pay. I do not want access to hunting to be overly limited by ability to pay. $1000 for a tag is nothing to some guys and everything to others. Sheep belong to the 23 year old guy with a family working at Home Depot just as much as they do to the 50 year old attorney who is at the peak of his career. That 23 year old might be 10x more "serious" about hunting sheep.

17-May-18

Longcruise's embedded Photo
Longcruise's embedded Photo
"Shoot em close to the road then BP"

Yeah, that's where they seem to hang out! :)

17-May-18
Glunt, couldn't agree more. Also, who defines serious?

17-May-18
I foresee many more tags showing up on the re-issue list this year for all species. Between guys getting drawn that didn't expect to draw and some unable to complete payment, I bet, especially with deer, elk and antelope, there will be some good options available for re-issue..

17-May-18
Sheep ,goat hunters are a different breed most are in shape and love to be in the high country and not weekend hunters

17-May-18
Just think of all the hunters out there who see moose while deer or elk hunting. They will be applying now that it costs less than a Starbucks coffee. My league partner is a prime example. Has money for new bows, dirt bike, atv etc but wouldn't front tag money. Now he's applying.

17-May-18

Mathewshootrphone's embedded Photo
Mathewshootrphone's embedded Photo

17-May-18
Good points COHOYTHUNTER and Glunt. By the way my guess is 5 million, one for each person in Colorado.

17-May-18
Hey, that's the one that pee'd on my chair!!!

17-May-18
Just imagine how hard it will be to get a moose tag when they start becoming wolf food.

17-May-18
Im thinking moose draw will be tomorrow. Elk/deer/antelope next week.

Thats based off the timing of posted release/payment dates early June.

Good luck everyone!

18-May-18

MathewsMan's embedded Photo
MathewsMan's embedded Photo

18-May-18
No changes to points yet

18-May-18
June 4-8

18-May-18
It has been 20 years ago I first put in for a bull moose PP and 6 years prior to that applied for a bull moose license as PP were not needed. So 26 years of applications! I have NO reason to believe I will draw a moose license this year or next, or next, or next, or next, ect. my best, Paul

18-May-18
Nobody does

18-May-18
Funny people getting "pumped up" for the moose draw. Reminds me of condom use

If you use condoms perfectly every single time you have sex, they’re 98% effective at preventing pregnancy. But people aren’t perfect, so in real life condoms are about 85% effective — that means about 15 out of 100 people who use condoms as their only birth control method will get pregnant each year.

The better you are about using condoms correctly every time you have sex, the better they’ll work. But there’s a small chance that you will get pregnant even if you always use them the right way.

If you apply for a Colorado Bull Moose tag perfectly every single year using the new DOW portal it has been proven that it’s 98% effective at preventing a successful application notice. But people aren’t perfect, so in real life using the new DOW portal/customer pages are about 85% effective — that means about 15 out of 100 people who use the DOW portal as their only application method will submit a successful application each year.

The better you are about applying and sending nonrefundable money via the DOW portal/customer page every time you have twisted thoughts that you will draw, the better they’ll work. But there’s a small chance that you will get drawn even if you always use them the right way.

18-May-18
I use the pull and pray method.... How does that apply to the draw ?

18-May-18
Technically no one that uses a condom will get pregnant. However they could impregnate someone. Assuming of course they are heterosexual. Which I like to thing most applying for tags are ;)

18-May-18
there is no such thing as" almost pregnant", as is, " I almost drew a moose tag." Condom or no condom. Just saying.

18-May-18
Caz is right. The two are almost identical. Whether you applied for moose or used a condom, you end up screwed.

18-May-18
Gotta be some correlation between prophylactic application and decreasing hunter numbers that can be calculated to determine the issuance of successful notices for moose.

I am sure CPW has PHD mathematicians working round the clock (on our nickel, of course!) to develop a Nobel Prize winning alogorithim as we post!!!

Basically, as Glunt so aptly put, we are most likely all SCREWED!

Good luck to all of you in the moose draw! Hopefully somebody worthy will draw...

18-May-18
Glunt there is one big difference though. One is enjoyable. Unless of course you are part that 2-15% Caz was referring to.

04-Jun-18
I guessed 45,000 first choice resident applicants for moose (up from 23,000 in 2017). Actual number is 45,758. What do I win aside from having my chances of drawing a moose tag cut in 1/2? :^)

04-Jun-18
you win improved odds for a cow tag with all those points you have!

04-Jun-18
Maybe too late for that too. Resident applicants for cow moose in the unit I apply for went up by 65%.

• Sitka Gear