Fdales Finest 09-May-18
elkman52 09-May-18
Shug 13-Jun-18
Ursman 20-Jun-18
Teeton 28-Jun-18
Fdales Finest 06-Jul-18
Fdales Finest 06-Jul-18
09-May-18
My son and I are planning on doing a Back Country Backpacking Archery Hunt in Colorado. It was originally going to be for after he graduated college in 3 years but my wife said to go this year. So I have a lot to learn about what we need in gear, where to go, and also get in better shape for the hunt. I think we are going to be in GMU 47. Based upon what I have read it has one of the largest herds of elk as well as a higher success rate than most units as well as being an OTC unit so we can buy the license at any sporting goods store and go vs. a lottery. Looking to hunt likely in the Leadville area of the Hunter-Frying Pan Wilderness or Mount Massive Wilderness.

So far I bought a Mystery Ranch Pack for myself, a new sleeping bag rated for 15 degrees, a sleep pad and a Mountainsmith Shelter. I need a GPS and a backpacking stove also a pack and sleeping system for my son. It makes it tough since he is 6'5 and 260 lbs.

If anyone has done a trip like this I would appreciate any guidance you can provide since my time frame for research and getting everything together has been condensed? Is their anything I am forgetting? If you've hunted this area or can give me advise on a better area it would be much appreciated!

09-May-18
Your on the wrong site,go to the elk forum or the colorado forum.Plenty of info there,they can answer all your questions.I hunted colorado the last 25yrs in a row......but I can't answer your questions. good luck.

13-Jun-18
Good luck Rick!!

As you said ... get in shape for no other reason so it’s more enjoyable. If ya want I have some books and DVDs you’re welcome to. If for no other reason than motivational

20-Jun-18
.You can get the best equipment available, but if you don’t allow time for adjustment to the altitude, you could be disappointed. Rule of thumb is three days at altitude before exertion.

28-Jun-18
Fdales Finest, you got a pm

06-Jul-18
Teeton I PM'd you back

06-Jul-18
" Good luck Rick!! As you said ... get in shape for no other reason so it’s more enjoyable. If ya want I have some books and DVDs you’re welcome to. If for no other reason than motivational" Thanks Mark! I would love to get my hands o any books that may help with my elk education! Send me a PM and we will get together

• Sitka Gear