Ace 15-Jun-18
Notme 15-Jun-18
spike78 16-Jun-18
Passthrough 13-Aug-18
SmoothieJonez 13-Aug-18
Passthrough 14-Aug-18
N8tureBoy 15-Aug-18
10-May-18
Anyone know if the expanded Sunday Bowhunting Bill to include all zones made it into the budget the legislature agreed to yesterday??

10-May-18

Ace's Link
It appears that it was never called for a vote.

Stand by, this may have gone through after all ... as part of a package. I'll check on it and get back with the details.

11-May-18
Yup, it's true! Statewide Sunday bow hunting on private land.

11-May-18
Did it pass??

11-May-18
Wow - maybe I should knock on a door or two in my happy little NE corner areas...

11-May-18
That's awesome! Good time to click on the vote tally to see how your representative voted and send them an email thanking them for their support or asking why they opposed it.

11-May-18
Yes Dave it did. Senator Miner deserves our thanks. He also got some revisions to the Bowfishing Regs that improves the screwup they made with the passing of the Trophy Carp Regs.

12-May-18
So you are saying now that Sunday hunting is open to Zones 2, 3,& 4A? Those zones were the only ones not open to sunday hunting last couple years but are now? Hmmmm.

12-May-18
the only sunday hunting allowed currently is archery deer hunting on private land except 2,3,4a. does this change apply to all species or just deer?

13-May-18
Sec. 505. Section 26-73 of the general statutes is repealed and the following is substituted in lieu thereof (Effective October 1, 2018):

Sunday shall be a closed season except for hunting deer with bow and arrow on private property and for the purpose of trapping under the provisions of this chapter. The possession in the open air on Sunday of any implement for hunting, except for bow and arrow, shall be prima facie evidence of hunting in violation of the provisions of this section. No provision of this section shall be construed so as to affect any provision of section 26-31, 26-48, 26-52 or 27-35. Artificially propagated birds designated by the commissioner may be shot on Sundays on licensed private shooting preserves subject to such regulations of the commissioner as may apply to such private shooting preserves, provided permission so to shoot has been obtained from the town or towns within which such licensed private shooting preserves are located. Any person who hunts deer on Sunday with bow and arrow on private property pursuant to this section shall: (1) [Conduct such hunting only in deer management zones determined by the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection to be overpopulated and only in accordance with and pursuant to the wildlife management principles and practices established by the Commissioner of Energy and Environmental Protection, (2) have] Have the written permission of the private property owner where such hunting is conducted, and [(3)] (2) carry such written permission upon his or her person during the hunting. No person shall hunt with bow and arrow on Sunday on private property pursuant to this section within forty yards of a blazed hiking trail.

13-May-18
Yehaaa!!!

Senator Miner is a good dude!!!

13-May-18
Note - it doesn't go into effect until October 1st, so the first 2 weeks of the season are different.

Ace - It also states that this only applies to zones with which the DEEP considers deer to to be "overpopulated". I thought that was already the case. I don't see how this is much different than the existing law except maybe for the addition of trapping. Did I miss something?

13-May-18
What's the change?

13-May-18
The lines in Brackets is what’s deleted.

[ Conduct such hunting only in deer management zones determined by the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection to be overpopulated and only in accordance with and pursuant to the wildlife management principles and practices established by the Commissioner of Energy and Environmental Protection, (2) have]

13-May-18
Thanks. That makes more sense!

14-May-18
This is fantastic news!

14-May-18
ACE - this is great news.. I'd love to update my club - where do I get a link that shows the verbiage you posted that says it will be implemented in Oct ?

14-May-18

Ace's Link
Here you go Wayne.

14-May-18

Ace's Link
Sorry, double post.

14-May-18
Thank you Ace!

14-May-18

Toonces's Link
Great news.

HSUS is working hard to stop it from happening.

14-May-18
Does the umm, ahh, umm, unmm, ahhh, least popular governor in the union have to sign it?

15-May-18

Blatch's Link
It wouldn't hurt to call/email Malloy's office in support of Sunday bowhunting bill given last minure efforts by anti hunting folks urging veto.

15-May-18
** When I called, his aide assumed i was calling to urge the Governor to Veto the bill. That suggests to me that he is getting a bunch of calls expressing that opinion. I think that Malloy needs to hear from Sportsmen, telling him we want him to sign the bill. I reminded him that Dannel's brother is a hunter, and that Sportsmen brought in $6.4 million/year in license and permit sales to the state in 2017. Plus PR and DJ funds generated by an excise tax on Hunting and Fishing gear:

(from DOI): Connecticut- The state will receive $3,494,429 through the Sport Fish Restoration Fund and $5,702,335 through the Wildlife Restoration Fund, giving the state a total amount of $9,196,764. in 2017

The Bill (HB 5360) passed the last day of the session (36 -0 in the Senate, 109-41 in the House). If it had been immediately transferred to him he would have 5 days to sign or veto it. Since it didn't, he has 15 days from the day it passed (excluding Sundays).

Call Governor Malloy's office at (860) 566-4840, urge him to sign HB 5360. (It includes Sunday Bow Hunting, Lifetime Licenses and the Carp Bow Fishing revisions)

15-May-18
Called and was told that my message would be passed along. Keep calling bug the hell out of them. I shared this on many of my other online hunting sites as well. Guys are stepping up. Let’s go guys it’s about time that we hunters the real Outdoors people get a win!!

15-May-18
Just called they said nothing yet but he will pass my interest along to the governor . keep calling .

15-May-18
Call made

15-May-18
I called and the guy I spoke to was a stick in the mud. Tried to engage him and he was having none of it.

16-May-18
HB5360 - as I’m looking further into this is an act concerning grass clippings?? HB5366 is regarding Sunday bowhunting. Was this posted wrong and we are calling in the wrong bill or was Sunday hunting piggybacked on 5360?

16-May-18
https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgabillstatus/cgabillstatus.asp?selBillType=Bill&bill_num=HB05366&which_year=2018

DEER HUNTING ON SUNDAY

16-May-18
Thank you

16-May-18
Silverado - I think you were referring to the bill that would permit grass cutting... on private lands.... on Sundays.... with push mowers or more traditional methods such as grazing goats and sheep... in parts of the state where the DEEP considers grass to be too plentiful. This bill never made it out of committee... again.... (sigh)

21-May-18
Just trying to figure out how many pieces of private property have Blazed Trails on them.

21-May-18
The ones along hiking trails say state land

22-May-18
I have hunted a couple of pieces of private land that have blazed trails close by or running through it. They are out there.

22-May-18
Any word on this... can't find any additional updates.

He has until June 1 to sign or veto?

22-May-18
I believe the governor has until 6/8 to veto, if he takes no action by 6/8, it becomes law. I could be wrong but that is the way I understand it.

22-May-18
I was told he has 15 days (not including Sundays) “from the day it is brought to his desk”.

I can’t get anyone to tell me what day it got to him, or if it even did yet.

31-May-18
Yesterday something happened to HB5360 and it became public act 18-181, does that mean it is now law?? Does anyone know??

https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgabillstatus/cgabillstatus.asp?selBillType=Bill&bill_num=HB-5360

31-May-18

>>---CTCrow--->'s embedded Photo
>>---CTCrow--->'s embedded Photo
Yes, it's the law. Sunday hunting with bow and arrow on private property is now statewide starting 10/1

31-May-18
Great job to all who called!!!

31-May-18
Awesome news guys!! Thanks for calling

31-May-18
I finally joined this site to let you guys know I just called the governor’s office urging him to support the bill.

01-Jun-18
That's great. For someone who usually can only hunt on the weekends, I'm excited! Um um huh da um da da da, thank you all.

02-Jun-18

N8tureBoy's Link
It will double the season for many of us! Of note, page 4 authorizes the state to offer lifetime hunting/fishing licenses. Nothing about any of this on the DEEP website yet though

02-Jun-18
N8t, none of these go into effect until 10/1. Its gonna take'm a little time to put it up.

15-Jun-18

Ace's embedded Photo
Ace's embedded Photo
Dan Malloy Signed it today.

15-Jun-18
It still doesnt make him a good guy!!!

16-Jun-18
Notme that is because he is also getting ready to sign the Sunday hunting privelage tax!

13-Aug-18

Passthrough's embedded Photo
Passthrough's embedded Photo
Are they waiting u til oct 1st to update this?!?

13-Aug-18
No, it does not go into law til Oct 1st, 2018

14-Aug-18
Yea I get that. Thats pretty obvious.. but you would think it would say somewhere on the abstracts or website.

15-Aug-18
Passthrough - I agree. The only thing I can think of is that the DEEP is understaffed and updating the website is low priority.

• Sitka Gear