Dakota 10-May-18
leftee 10-May-18
DR 10-May-18
grizzly 10-May-18
ground hunter 22-May-18
grizzly 22-May-18
dakotaduner 24-May-18
10-May-18
I have concern over the proposal to remove the Bowhunters Education requirements and possibility of an archery deer opener as early as September 1. Bowhunting is so different than rifle hunting. Our wounding rate on elk several years ago was very high and spurred the requirement to even apply for those elk permits. If someone isn't required to take the time and course, I highly doubt anyone will. I was concerned hearing some of the commissioners asking about it like "the information is still available to anyone that wants it".

I wouldn't be opposed to a September 15th or 3rd Saturday opener but any earlier than that I oppose. Deer are on easily scouted feed patterns in bachelor groups. States that offer this also don't have unlimited statewide tags. We already have NR issues on large public tracts. What do you think those numbers will look like if we open September 1, vs. the 4th Saturday. East River is more like Iowa or Minnesota with large crops everywhere. Whitetails are also on feed patterns and in bachelor groups on their summer range. It would concern me that these opener changes would not only increase pressure from NRs and put more stress on the herd as a whole, but would further open opportunities for more leasing and outfitting operations by more combination archery deer/ antelope hunts.

What are your thoughts? SDBI is looking into lobbying against both now.

10-May-18
Opposed to both. The 4th Saturday start is fine and the bow Hunter education should stay the same as it has been.

10-May-18
I 100% support the earlier season opening date and 100% oppose removing the bowhunting education requirements.

There is no biological evidence to support the stance that an earlier opener would be detrimental to our herd in any way. ND, NE, and WY all open on 9/1 along with many other western states, some even open in August. The NR issue is totally separate from season dates and we should not use that as an excuse to limit additional opportunity for SD archers. This is another one of those areas where I have concerns with SDBI's support and advocacy of SD's archery hunters. We should be advocating for MORE opportunity and access to tags for archers, not advocating for keeping opportunity stagnant, especially when not supported by the biological evidence. The same can be said for archery elk tags. Where is SDBI on lobbying the commission for additional resident elk tags for bowhunters? What we get now is a pittance in comparison to what we should be allocated for archery elk tags. A minimum of 50% of the rifle quota should be allocated to archery. The current commission seems to have a stance that is contrarian to the concerns of bowhunters as evidenced by their continued kicking of the can down the road on non-resident tags, etc. We have to step aside to the vocal majority of rifle hunters in limiting access to those tags and the rifle hunters will squeal again about an earlier open date. At some point we need to stand up for archers in SD and take our seat at the table instead of feeding on the scraps the commission kicks us.

10-May-18
I'll honestly say for selfish reasons I would like to see the September 1 archery deer opener. Being in a wheelchair it would give me more warmer weather to hunt. Hunting from a brush blind would be the cats meow compared to a portable blind with heaters and blankets.

Sitting on a dam where both deer and antelope water and having both licenses would just be a bonus as well.

On the other you can never have too much education.

10-May-18
I'm with Brotksy.

10-May-18
I hear ya Brotsky. There are many bowhunters that have advocated and would like to see a September 1 opener or at least a little earlier than what we have now. You are of course correct about the biological data but I'd offer those aren't necessarily fair comparisons as most of the states that open that early don't offer statewide unlimited archery hunting...for residents or NRs. Colorado, Wyoming and Montana to my knowledge all limit to less than 1/2 the state on general archery permits. Bowhunters have to draw a LE permit to hunt the better areas. Another perspective we keep hearing within SDBI and at GFP meetings are the rifle hunters that complain about the length of archery season, some landowners as well. By not pushing for much more in the way of the seasons, the thought process is to keep those complaints muted. I agree on the archery elk permits, particularly given the harvest success. Hell, we should have double the permits not 1/2. The board is still discussing and fleshing out the position on the season proposal but I'm fairly certain we will oppose the removal of the NBEF certification. Bottom line is we need a significant increase in SDBI membership #'s to help make the case via lobbying when it comes to any bowhunting related issues. More to come.

10-May-18
Lets not loose the education requirement. It is essential. I'm flexible with the start date. Lets compromise and go for the 15th or leave it as is. I think we will get pushback with any lengthening of the season. The people who get too busy hunting ducks and pheasants would spend more time early season deer hunting. Could have unintended consequences.

22-May-18
I do not get the NBEF certification............I have it, so I can hunt several states, but what did it give me, that I already did not know? Just another hoop to jump thru I guess,,,, I don't know, I could be wrong, it does not hurt, but what is the real benefit to it.......

What they need is a don't litter certification from all the junk I always pick up, from so many slobs, in several states

22-May-18
How did we know that you already knew? It is just a basic educational step to insure that you have been informed of many things that relate to our sport and its image. One of the first fellow bowhunters I came across in the woods was carrying his three extra bear razor tipped arrows in the back pocket of his jeans. The other arrow was nocked on his string. Does he really need to be educated on this ? They are either dull or he's looking for Darwin. Thanks for picking up the trash. Sad people leave it there. I have been in some areas where you might think you were the first but the trash always tells you otherwise.

24-May-18
Thanks for bringing me up to speed on this. I will try to pay more attention. I would hate to see Bow hunter education changed at all, and would like to see it even better. We have a incredible resource of elk and deer in our state. I believe we bow hunters are getting short changed on the elk side of tags.

• Sitka Gear