Cheesehead Mike 21-May-18
jstephens61 21-May-18
ohiohunter 22-May-18
jstephens61 22-May-18
fubar racin 22-May-18
ohiohunter 22-May-18
altitude sick 24-May-18
12-May-18
Looking for some feedback on packs. I think I have already made up my mind. I'm wondering why I should spend money on an expensive meat pack; Kifaru, Exo, Kuiu, Sitka, etc. Background; I shot my first mule deer with the bow in 1976. Anyway I do the math, I am getting older. Last season I packed out a bear and a bull elk. Bear ~1.5 mi one way, three trips. Bull elk ~3 mi one way, three trips with lots of deadfall and brush. For my meat pack, I have a trash can strapped to a old frame pack. Seems to work. Will an expensive pack really make it alot easier? Mitigating factor; I am cheap. Comments? D. PS. I think I am sticking with the trash can pack and saving my money for post haul out beers and Advil.

12-May-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
you personally will not know until you try a meat pack. May or not not be better. I use the same back pack for going to camp, hunting, and meat packing. 3 in 1.

12-May-18
I use an older internal frame Mountainsmith pack. A rear quarter with bone just slides in. Boned out you can put in more than you want to carry. Its more comfortable than my Freighter frame but not as advanced as a Kifaru, EXO, etc..

Nice packs allow athletic guys to carry more weight and regular guys to carry normal weight more comfortably. I have trashed my back over the years of work and play. Considering a better pack to try and make my back last as long as I do. They are a personal thing and hard to judge without loading them up and spending a day with one on.

12-May-18
I have an exo and it works great. I packed my cow out in two trips in Wyoming last year and my Colorado bull in three

12-May-18

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
I had an Alaskan II frame pack for many years. Hauled many elk, caribou and moose with it. It finally just wore out

I then got a Kelty Cache Hauler. And then I bought another one. They are tough and not real expensive. Hauled a few elk with them. They arent my 'daypacks' but stay at the truck/camp for the 2nd trip in to get meat. Big comfy waist belt and good load lifters.

12-May-18

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
My Badlands Superday just wasnt doing what I needed for a daypack so last fall I bought a Kuiu 1800 Icon Pro for my dayback.

What a blessing! When you fold away the bag from frame, you can can about 60lbs of meat. As I did out in Nebraska with my WT doe in one trip

12-May-18
Put that trash can on a high end frame that's properly adjusted and you'll realize the difference quickly! And for me, my high end frame/pack combo that rides more comfortably with heavier weight than any day pack I've owned and I had good day packs, I'm not having to come back empty to get a different pack to haul out meat! I've got a dry sack with me which is the equivalent of a flexible trash can and I'm coming out heavy first trip and I'm not carrying the weight of a trash can! Like Paul said, till you try one you won't get it, I'm cheap too, but sometimes spending money is worth it! I'm more worried about somebody stealing my pack than my truck, pack and it's content is worth more than my truck is probably worth unless I find a sucker! Did get a new to me rig to drive this year so now my worries will shift;-)

13-May-18
For me, it's about weight, proper fit, versatilty, and comfort. I want a pack that fits well, weighs little, and does it all. None of this going back and getting my meat hauler business. With just day gear in it, you hardly know the Kuiu 3200 i use is there, the torso fit is great and it carries an elk quarter well. It's not perfect, but much more comfortable than all the cheap packs I've used, and modified to try to make fit better. I've carried entire quartered deer in my old kelty multiple times, and those were rough pack-outs, not only because I was trying to carry too much weight, but also because the pack was crap for that kind of chore.

13-May-18
If a standard cheap Alaskan Frame Pack was made with a better waist belt and a foam pad under the frame in back to keep it from digging into your flesh, I believe it would work just about as well as any high-end internal frame pack. I have one that I've modified myself that works pretty well. But then again I also have a couple of good Kifaru packs that I very much prefer in most cases. Based on the length of service I expect to get out of the Kifaru packs, the annual cost to own them is insignificant.

13-May-18
I use a Coleman Peak I frame. It is narrow, light, comfortable. I have a fanny pack attached and wear the system full time while hunting. I can easily navigate the thickest of lodgepole and shoot from virtually any position. Once the critter is down and quartered, my first trip out usually includes both front quarters. I did haul half of a spike bull one year and had no problem!

13-May-18

bad karma's Link
If all you ever drove or saw was a 65 Chevy pickup, you'd think it was fine. But a 2018 Tundra would be a much better option. Same for packs. All my packs have a rhino on them, Kifaru. I've packed out 2 elk quarters, bone-in, 3x, for short distances (less than 1.5 miles) and quarters out to 3 miles. Until you've used one of these packs, you just have no idea why they are worth the $$.

13-May-18
I 've hauled alot of elk meat over the years between my original Dwight Schuh pack....and a Badlands 4500. After surpassing the 50 year mark, those trips were getting noticeably more difficult on the body. Most of my hunts are solo, so a few years ago, I decided to try a Kifaru (Mountain Warrior) in hopes of extending what I love to do. After hauling elk up and down the mountains and caribou across the tundra using the Kifaru, the only regret I have is not buying one sooner.

13-May-18
Our most comfortable "meat pack" is an old internal frame mountaineering pack. It has also has a patch on it - "Annapurna Himalayan Expedition, Nepal 1988 ;).

13-May-18
Thanks folks. Useful comments. Maybe I will take a longer look at the Kelty Hauler and the Kifaru Packs. Take care, David.

14-May-18

altitude sick's embedded Photo
Call George in Oregon 503-367-9705 Customed army pack frame meat hauler $150 Better and lighter than my $300-$500 packs

14-May-18
Guiding we use the "Bull Pacs" for meat hauling.

14-May-18
I love my Kelty Cache Hauler. It's so adjustable for different body types that it is essentially a custom pack frame. Just bought an Alps pack bag for loose meat and am retrofitting it to the Kelty frame.

14-May-18
Ya, I had a Dwight Schue (sp) pack with the composite frame and did an elk with it. Brutal. Then bought a Kuiu Icon and did two bulls with it -- I snapped their "bad a$$ carbon space technology" frame like it was a pretzel on mile 1 which they kindly replaced (after I'd suffered for two more days). Then bought a kifaru pack in 2017 (hunter frame). Packed three bulls with it and I don't know why I didn't do it earlier. I could haul more weight, more comfortably. Not to mention, I had a ruptured disk and a bulging disk from the year previously and I didn't notice it at all.

14-May-18
Kifaru frames are exceptional in their ability to effectively transfer the load to your hips. If you can find it in your budget you will not regret a kifaru frame.

14-May-18
I am cheap also, bought an old North Face pack from a second hand sports store in Boulder for $50. Take the good stuff out (tenders and backstraps) with the first load in my Badlands 2100 then go back with the bigger pack. Has worked great on several elk.

14-May-18
If you haven’t worn a Kifaru with weight you really don’t know what you’re missing. I take bulls out solo in 2 trips with mine. That’s just not possible with most frames. You’ll never regret buying a great pack.

15-May-18

Another look at the customized army frame. Cheapest, heavy hauler I have used. And as comfy as my $500 frames.

15-May-18
Sagging after very heavy entire moose quarters loads. Not in proper adjustment for heavy meat hauling. But just fine for the antlers. ??

15-May-18
I use the Kuiu like cnelk does. It is a comfortable daypack until I shoot something and then it expands to haul meat. Using this method, I can get an entire boned-out deer or more than a 1/4 boned out elk back to camp in my first load. I then switch to an internal frame EMS pack for subsequent loads.

I presume you don't carry the garbage can with you during the day? That would be the only difference between us.

15-May-18
Altitude sick, what specific packs has your modified Molle outperformed?

15-May-18
Listen, if you're not into the expensive packs, that's totally OK. You don't "need" a Kifaru or a SG or Exo to hunt and get an elk out of the woods. But, packing out an elk with any of those packs is infinitely more comfortable -- just like looking through a Swaro is not the same a looking through a Vortex or a Maven. You measure your pain tolerance, and buy accordingly.

15-May-18
I do not want to get into a brand war discussion. I love the features of my high end name brand pack systems and freighters. Just saying, for the original post. This set up is the best meat hauler “for the money” note the meat attachment is a heavy duty version of many companies quick cinch method no tying para cord for :5 then having the load shifting all over.

15-May-18
I second the Kifaru packs. I run a Nomad 1 on a hunter frame. It allows you to do more. As far as price Ya can check out the Kifaru insiders page on facebook. Alot of used deals on there.

15-May-18
I have a idea you can not apply for sheep or goats unless you have a $700 meat pack. That will show who is serious about hunting them. ;0-

15-May-18
Kifaru hands down, I really don't understand the guys saying "this is just as good as____________" then posting pics of all the weight on their shoulders?

That said you can make it out once with just about anything. Just the second third animal of the week make it not as fun, running something cheaper.

15-May-18
Then there is the Bowsite factor saying "I use a Kifaru"...."Nothing else matters peasants"

15-May-18
You certainly don’t have to use one of the “big 3” or (4) pack companies but there most certainly is a difference in durability and weight hauling capability. For some the difference is not great enough to warrant the added cost, while others may notice the difference and feel differently about the value the pack provides despite the added cost.

One thing is for sure, snide comments about what people use or don’t use is not helpful to anyone...

15-May-18

geriggs's embedded Photo
geriggs's embedded Photo
Kifaru. Alaska Yukon moose quarter. They just work.

15-May-18
Cnelk, I agree lol stone glacier, exo, any mystery ranch with the load lifters are all pretty good. I would put stone glacier and Kifaru pretty neck and neck

15-May-18
I think this is one of those rare occasions where its less of being a pack snob and more about cost directly = quality and functionality, which for most things in hunting isn't always the case. My kif is more than a hauler, it’s my day pack too. If I had to I could pack out my whole girlfriend or half a bowsiter. Dollar for dollar I put a frame not far behind boots.

Its funny b/c lots of guys here have $1000s tied up in boots, most of which cost $3-400/pair, yet mention top of the line packs and someone throws their mashed potatoes at you! "my sportsmans warehouse special $69 pack is every bit as good them high dollar canvas contraptions!"

16-May-18
Please read the subject title again. It didn’t ask what is the “best”, which of course is as subjective as boots, or bows or women.

16-May-18
I don't think the word "best" was mentioned anywhere on this thread. "Expensive" is just as subjective as boots, bows and women..... or dare I say broadheads! haha

17-May-18

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo

Cheesehead Mike's Link
Another option if you're looking for a very capable pack that won't break the bank is to go on eBay and buy a USMC surplus ILBE pack.

Or adapt an ILBE pack to a Kifaru frame. That way you get the great Kifaru suspension and save a few bucks at the cost of an additional pound or two... Still better than a garbage can...

17-May-18
I have an EXO 5500 and never once have I regretted a penny of the purchase. These high-end packs are that way for a reason. I will always have a high end pack because they are worth it.

17-May-18
Guess who isn't offended if someone brings up the fact that having a Kifaru or Stone Glacier pack, Yeti cooler, KUIU outfit, or Oakley sunglasses is SOMETIMES about image almost as much as performance?

Those companies. They already know that and spend a lot of time and energy on branding and building their lifestyle marketing presence. Doesn't mean the products aren't great, but branding and image is huge a thing for those companies.

17-May-18
"PS. I think I am sticking with the trash can pack and saving my money for post haul out beers and Advil."

Well, then why are we even having the discussion...again...ad nauseam?

17-May-18
For those that have 'high end' packs, do you also have 'high end' trucks to get you to your hunting areas?

High end trucks have the same qualifiers as high end packs yes?

18-May-18
Stock 94 Toyota Pickup with 212K miles and lots of cancer that I paid cash for, just bought a 12 year old Toyota 4Runner that I paid cash for, it's a lot nicer than the pickup but has a few more miles on it. I work a lot of OT to pay for my toys! But knowing what I know now, I would of figured out a way to get my high end pack when I worked at my old job and didn't make as much, but probably wouldn't have bought new and wouldn't own two of them for myself and one for the wife! I kind of think from the people I know, the ones with the big nice new trucks don't have the high end packs or at least not as high end. They can't afford them, but they got nice rides!

18-May-18
Basically stock 88 F250. Bed is a different color than cab. Dont have no fancy wheel bow. But I have a high end pack. Not about an image, bout a product that works good for me. I am a far cry from a gear junkie. FYI family dollar has those big wiffle ball bat ya can make a bugle tube from!!!

18-May-18
2002 Toyota Tundra and I can fit several trash cans in the bed.

I compared Kifaru, Stone Glacier, and EXO.  I went with the EXO 5500 (expands to 6800 or compresses to day pack) as it stood out above the rest on the features I wanted. 1. *pack design, accessories, and ease of use 2. frame and shoulder harness system 3. load shelf - packing out meat 4. weight

The customer service from Steve Spec was hard to beat.

18-May-18
So I have always used one of those cheap wal mart special type packs until this spring. I recently picked up a horn hunter for almost nothing. That step up has blown my mind 130#s feels like 60 in my old packs. When I asked about the horn hunter i kept hearing how much better off id be with an exo or kifaru so I started watching classifieds and bought a old used kifaru CHEAP if it really is the step up from horn hunter that people say it is i should be able to stuff a whole bull in it and stroll back to camp with him lol.

18-May-18
If you get one of the new models, it will carry the bull out, for you! I have a Gen 2 Duplex and the newer Hunter Frame and there was a big step up just with that.

18-May-18

jordanathome's Link
Love my Kelty Cache Hauler. Even have the pack that goes with.

But I've evolved to appreciate another more modern frame pack. From my homestate of Missouri. Alps OutdoorZ Commander X. $200 and if you want the coordinating pack its another $169 Tons cheaper than some of the popular trendy high end brands....although I'd love a Kifaru simply because I respect Aron and his work.

18-May-18
Bone it out on the spot it does not take a lot of time and WHY pack out the bone. ?? you can get a lot more meat in your pack.

18-May-18
I'm not sure what frame it is on the kifaru im getting but I'm told its a mmr bag so probably pretty old.

19-May-18
Has anyone else ever heard that leaving the (hams) meat to age "on the bone" makes it more tender? Our local butcher told us that decades ago - "de-boning allows the muscle to contract, & become (relatively) "tougher" than meat left to age on the bone for a week or so" (still delicious...!). Maybe it was a myth?

19-May-18
The state of Alaska has done studies that show leaving the bone in helps cool the meat quite a bit faster than equal amount of boned meat. It’s easier to hang also. So hang it to cool, bone in, then if legal, bone it before packing out.

19-May-18

Better pics of a $50 Molle 2 army pack frame.

19-May-18

19-May-18

19-May-18
Weighs 4lbs 10oz actual weight, not “advertised” weight.

19-May-18
I'm not getting any younger so the ease of hauling hefty loads more comfortably is top priority. It's a no brainer for me to use a pack designed specifically for hefty loads. If it were me I would seriously consider Kifaru or Stone Glacier. If $ is an issue pick up a nearly new one on Rokslide forum classified adds, Craigslist, Ebay, etc. It will definitely be worth the investment for a lifetime of comfortable packing! Once you try one you will likely think back to how crazy you were hauling with your trashcan pack!

21-May-18

Works well for packing treestands too...
Works well for packing treestands too...
Or attach the shoulder straps and hip belt directly to your stand...
Or attach the shoulder straps and hip belt directly to your stand...
The MOLLE frame is not exactly a secret. I've had one for several years (that I paid $15 for) and I added a meat shelf from an old frame pack and it works great. Although it's not as good as the new Kifaru Hunter frame, it's a good option for somebody who wants a very capable frame at a fraction of the cost.

BTW Jay, your hip belt is on upside down...

21-May-18
I’ve got a Janssens Hardcore pack that uses the MOLLE frame and a cloth meat shelf. It’s a good pack but not in the same league as my K3500. BTW, I have 2 F250s, 3 Yetis and a pair of Kenetreks. Does that make me a yuppie?

22-May-18
Total yuppie! But I’m not sure if that validates or invalidates your opinion? To be bowsite hardcore you have to hunt in all Walmart cotton, drive an 84’ yota, chew wolf, and drink pbr from a can. Anything better is excessive.

22-May-18
Crap, I also have some Sitka! I’m doomed! Need to run out and hug a tree.

22-May-18
Well my kifaru made it yesterday i gotta say i get it now its a dang nice pack. Biggest diffrence between it and my horn hunter right now is i can physically carry more than my horn hunter will comfortably my kifaru im not sure at what point it would get uncomfortable but I know its enough to hurt yourself.

22-May-18
... and knowing is half the battle

24-May-18
Yeah my upside down hip belt just seems to feel better with the curve down. Don’t know why.

• Sitka Gear