Pi 26-May-18
Will 26-May-18
xi 27-May-18
Will 28-May-18
Belchertown Bowman 29-May-18
Will 29-May-18
TT-Pi 29-May-18
14-May-18
Since some of us are nerds... share your interesting science articles here for fun and discussion...

15-May-18

Will's Link
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/rna-injected-one-sea-slug-another-may-transfer-memories?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=latest-newsletter-v2

The epigenetics of memory, inherent knowledge if you will, is so dang cool to me. Things like the studies done on the Danish famine post Nazi occupation during WWII help show this building in certain ways within people https://www.journalofpsychiatricresearch.com/article/S0022-3956(10)00346-8/fulltext

But man, some of the conferences I've been to lately have showed some pretty amazing "knowledge" sharing at rudimentary levels from generation to generation. Seems obvious this would occur - how do fawn's know to sit still or to bleat for mom, or where to search for milk or what not... That cant be taught in the first 5' of life, yet the know...

Similar things are seen in people and emerging research there is really cool.

Sea slugs are not people, but seeing this was, interesting... So figured it would be a neat post for fellow nerds here.

15-May-18
Hi Will, Just to be clear, I think you're probably are using the term "to know" loosely but it could mislead further thinking on the amazing survival process, inherent in species.

I don't think they " Know" in the real sense of the word. ( to be conscious of aware of, through observation, inquiry or by information learned) They do behave in ways that are conducive to survival but not from an intention to do so. The successful traits persist and the unsuccessful (if relevant to survival) get killed off.

What is interesting to me is the persistence of abnormalities that occasionally pay off. (Two heads are not one of them) That is, within the framework of a complex genetic code that provides the framework of existence at all. Such depth of information in the DNA is awesome and mysterious. How that came to be and why it continued is one of those mysteries/miracles...

15-May-18
Correct on my usage Pi...

15-May-18
All can think of when they mention sea slugs is Bioshock.

16-May-18
Thought Bioshock was some kind of fishing lure, but it’s a video game. I read a study that said video games have been steadily increasing in awesomeness over the years. Don’t personally know because I don’t have a television. Television can lead to dancing.

16-May-18
Jeb - TV only leads to dancing, if it's with the stars (Jebediah, 2018)... Ba dum dump... Ill be here all week :)

Reference: J. Jebediah. (2018). The impact of audiovisual musical stimulation on large scale impulsive motor pattern selection and implementation in large mammals. The Journal of Dance. 3(5), 256-269.

16-May-18
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00198-018-4534-5

In case a PETA member ever try's to tell you that eating protein, especially a lot, leads to bone loss... Yet another paper telling them to go pound sand, and eat a cow ;)...

17-May-18
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/05/180515092931.htm

The human gut microbiome is some pretty amazing, and emerging inquiry. Wild stuff. This is an interesting review of some info from one major research project, which is done in a fairly novel way.

One particularly interesting thing to me, was a notation that post antibiotic use the gut microbiome was reduced (as expected since antibiotics kill bacteria - of various types pending the medication), but, was more diverse. Diversity is good, and while that certainly would not be a reason to take antibiotics... since you can get a more diverse gut microbiome via eating more variety of plants... But it was interesting that taking antibiotics does not decimate the gut microbiome.

18-May-18

Belchertown Bowman's Link
Hey Will,.. figured I would contribute to your Science thread.

I was reading about the longest (60 years long and still going) Predetor-Prey study ever done,.. on Island Royale in Canada,.. interesting read about Wolves and Moose.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/05/180517102304.htm

18-May-18
BB - that's really interesting. So the moose may be shrinking due to increasing numbers and lack of food... Wolves are going to disappear due to inbreeding, at least in part thanks to the lack of good winter ice bridges. How far into the lake is isle royale? you would think that wolves could swim across if they wanted, and set up shop... Certainly amazing to see how those species have interacted over 60 years.

18-May-18
Isle royale is 25 miles from coast. Doable for a wolf but not exactly a stones throw either, on the other hand, Minnesota wolf population is booming due to increasing deer herd. Thanks for the link BB.

19-May-18
Mboudreau, so true about MN. Even 20 years ago, going to my wives family's camp on Gull Lake (15 or so miles north west of Brainerd) no one spoke of wolves in the current. They were animals from the past... now, it's not uncommon to see one or get one on a game cam.

24-May-18

Belchertown Bowman's Link
For you ocean fisherman here is a good article for you,..

I had always thought corals were the nurseries for fish,.. this article indicates sea grasses,.. as quite important too,.. Maybe particularly up north were we do not have typical coral reefs?

Enjoy the article,..

24-May-18
Interesting info on seagrass in the above post. I am enjoying it indeed.

Climate change and all that nasty CO2 and "acidification" itself is apparently not the maker of trouble for this valuable ecosystem. As with coral reefs: see below from the same source. Thanks, BB , glad you found the real culprit.

"When the corals were exposed to climate change and ocean acidification, like in previous research, the researchers saw that they remained extraordinarily resilient. However, when nitrate and phosphate were added, the coral thermal resilience was compromised while algal growth benefited from excess CO2 and nutrients. Algal dominance over corals in the reef means losing all of the beauty and biodiversity of the coral reefs."

"We added concentrations of nutrients that are ecologically relevant and we noticed that the physiological performance of the corals was compromised. Their resistance to thermal stress was much lower. Their ability to withstand global factors was lower. And we found that the entire microbial community on the coral surface changed," said Dr. Emily Hall, the lead author of the study from the Mote Marine Laboratory

Yu Get it ?

24-May-18
And again the scientist have overlooked a major player until now ???

However, realizing the "true" potential of seagrass meadows requires international cooperation, he said. The research is published in Frontiers in Marine Science.

Seagrass meadows are able to store large amounts of carbon but historically they have been virtually ignored in global carbon budgets.

And apparently, they are not adversely affected by CO2 or changes to the alkalinity. They are a CO2 munching machine. So if people would stop flushing the oceans with real pollutants, we should be fine and dandy... Go figure ...

24-May-18
Yes very interesting but ............. can we use the seagrass as a food source for deer??? Because if we can I am gonna have a sh*^ load of deer in some of the areas I hunt

24-May-18
I wouldn't chance it DFA, The environ"mental " extremists would Soylent Green your ass.

24-May-18
Hahaha. Very true

25-May-18
Ffosay noay hetay imatecay hangecay uffsay ipsay! :)

PSA: Very cool link. I've followed this guy, because, um... scientists have groupies too (ha ha ha) for a while. And this message is important for anyone interested in fitness. Not that you would need it to improve fitness, but as a "mythbuster"... Ultimately it's important from a training perspective if one was to go that far...

Lactate is not bad. Doesnt create soreness and is actually a fuel. That's the very cliff note version of things... but it's a cool read: https://phys.org/news/2018-05-lactate-poison.amp?__twitter_impression=true

I actually emailed some work from the same guy to a Boston based "Sports Medicine Physician" who actually says on his radio commercial during a faux interview with a former patriots tight end that lactic acid causes muscle soreness... Apparently his skipped biochem, and human physiology in med school... (sorry, pet peeve)... I never heard back :) ha ha ha!

25-May-18
Aaron Hernandez?

Interesting discovery and it does seem to be a reasonable explanation. So now we must accept that the former experts were quite wrong. "What looks to be" is not always what it is.

However, this analogy by Brooks is inaccurate. "After injury, adrenaline will activate the sympathetic nervous system and that will give rise to lactate production," Brooks said. "It is like gassing up the car before a race."

It is more " like adding a maintenance repair or fuel boost, during a race. "

25-May-18
Christian Fauria.

The catch, Pi... Is that this knowledge is not new. While Brook's has elevated it... This has been COMMON KNOWLEDGE to physiologists of any focus (relative to humans) since the mid to late 70's at least. The mythology has lasted. Sort of like "you can shoot under the spine and miss the lungs". A myth that seems destined to last, despite the idea being entirely wrong.

That's what kills me on this one... You have some professionals or athletes suggesting lactate creates muscle soreness etc... and it perpetuates the myth.

26-May-18
Got yu. I wonder how many other things are out there that are just like that.

26-May-18
But will , you can shoot under the spine and miss the lungs. Shoot for the dirt... Kidding, I got your point.

26-May-18
Pi - Probably lots of things... Good point, you go under the spine and miss the lungs, if you miss the deer :)

27-May-18
Its 0500 hrs on Sunday morning, I'm enjoying a coffee on the back deck, listening to nature wake up. Im reading this thread and I go from laughing to suffering a migraine trying to comprehend some of this stuff. You guys are great.

28-May-18

Will's Link
I loved Ryan Holidays book "Ego is the Enemy". Great read. This article shares much of the same concepts, but is more from the root science. Also, a great read. https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/beautiful-minds/the-pressing-need-for-everyone-to-quiet-their-egos/

29-May-18
Interesting Will,.. and most likely true!

29-May-18
Observationally, I'd say so BB. Personally it seems to help. It's never constant, we fluctuate...

29-May-18
Although the article overlooks a few other paths to the process of a balanced ( functioning for the best, Ego) it is a clear focus on the problems of a deviant Ego at work and the advantages of the opposite.

The article could be boiled down for the common consumer. Maybe, make a poster with cartoon characters ... Good read.

• Sitka Gear