xi 14-Oct-18
Steveeg 14-Oct-18
Arrownoob 14-Oct-18
22-May-18

bowandspear's embedded Photo
Dryad's Saddle x2
Dryad's Saddle x2
Alright, spring shrooms around and maybe we can keep this going through the season. All you with access to morels right now can make me extremely jealous please post up. If you find something great like that please share the trees or terrain/ conditions so us others can learn from it. *And your recipes and dinner pics! Here are two big Pheasant Back or Dryad's Saddle from today. Dead elm that also produces chicken of the woods in fall, go figure. Have a stock going on the oven right now with one of these.

22-May-18
Morels in MA? Don’t think I have ever seen one in my life.

22-May-18
i dont know why. however, i see tons of them in hemlock mulch areas on various properties on cape. always this time of the year. maybe hemlock? (tsuga)

22-May-18

xi's embedded Photo
Biggest on Sunday
xi's embedded Photo
Biggest on Sunday
xi's embedded Photo
Biggest from the original harvest
xi's embedded Photo
Biggest from the original harvest
xi's embedded Photo
1st batch ready for cutting and dehydrator
xi's embedded Photo
1st batch ready for cutting and dehydrator
Went back to N.Y. on Sun. Found maybe 3lbs of Morels. I think i caught the end of the season earlier in the week. Pheasant backs were everywhere. Didn't pick them because I read on line they are a pain to prepare. I know I was absolutely blessed to find that haul I got on the Morels.

23-May-18

hunterma's embedded Photo
Came across a bunch of oyster mushrooms on a dead oak the other morning while out turkey hunting. Unfortunately a little past prime and pretty buggy so I passed on them. Late summer/fall is their usual time but not uncommon to run across them during a wet Spring.

23-May-18
Spike, I have never found one in MA either, I'm in Swansea/Rehoboth area and hunting them hard last couple of weeks. Bigsevig you are the 3rd person who I have seen recently state the same thing about in the hemlock mulch and such on the Cape. Hmmmm . From people I know that have found them in MA they have stated under elms and in old apple tree orchards. Still nothing for me locally.

XI those are so awesome. Well done.

Pheasant backs: 2 big ones is about all i can use for a season. They are not really a pain to prepare, just not the taste and texture that can be used in a lot of dishes. I do scrape the spongy spore underside off with knife then use a portion to make a stock. Then slice others really thin and sautee separately then add to stock with other stuff to make ramen or similar type dish.

23-May-18

Ungie01201's embedded Photo
Ungie01201's embedded Photo
My buddy's finds from yesterday....

23-May-18
Ungie, that's a haul. Congrats

23-May-18
Ungie, mass or NY? Curious

23-May-18
Mass

23-May-18

mboudreau's embedded Photo
mboudreau's embedded Photo
Would you?

23-May-18
they remind me of the chicken of the woods,.. no expert here though.

23-May-18
Mboudreau yes they are chicken of the woods.

Ungie that's awesome!

23-May-18
Thanks bb and bow, looks like chicken to me, hopefully tastes like it...

23-May-18
Hey if you have done any reading on shrooms,.. they recommend this.

Lets say you harvest a bunch of them and cook em up but in the back of your mind you are still unsure,.. Just eat a small spoon full that night,.. if they are poisonous, a small spoon full will make you sick,.. you will know not to eat that again, but not kill you.

If no effect then you can gooble the pile down the next night or serve to your loved ones,..

Test it another words,..

23-May-18
The do taste like mushroom infused chicken IMO. True BB, even if something is edible species but you have never tried it before, following that rule is a good rule too. They can affect / not affect people differently.

23-May-18
There’s a saying “the dose makes the poison.” Me personally, I need Jesus Christ himself to tell me it’s edible. Or the guy at the grocery store.

01-Aug-18

Stumbled over my first Cinnabar Chanterelles today :)

01-Aug-18

Small young patch of Cinnabar Chanterelles. Left most to grow a little more
Small young patch of Cinnabar Chanterelles. Left most to grow a little more

15-Aug-18

Alright team shroom, after 3 days soaking rain here in the South Coast I could not wait to go see what had popped. Well 2 of my boys 17 & 12 yrs old took a hike and my youngest Ethan who loves to shroom spotted something I have never found more than 2 of in my area of Mass. "The King is in the House!" A big ole fresh patch of King Boletes (Porcini)! As good as it gets! Harvested a few pounds then left the others to go back for today with a bigger basket. Time to get the dehydrator out later and stock up for venison season :)

So get out there!!!!

15-Aug-18

15-Aug-18

15-Aug-18

15-Aug-18

15-Aug-18
And yes, a few sauted in the skillet with some some tips last night was incredible.

15-Aug-18
Dude, great haul! Porcinis and chanterelles are two of my favorites.

15-Aug-18
Great haul ! I wish I had more knowledge of the mushrooms. My place has huge areas of them.

15-Aug-18
I should def read up on wild edible shrooms. These all look very familiar. I believe I have those pheasant backs everywhere and the Chanterelles I've definitely seen and destroyed with my tractor ignorantly. Chicken and hen of the woods I have seen just never tried. Cool thread!

17-Aug-18

Ten minutes of picking.
Ten minutes of picking.
My wife took a neighborhood walk today and came back with three black trumpets she found along the road. Most of our property is wooded so we thought, lets take a walk around and see if we can spot any. It was loaded! Apparently now is the time to get out and check your spots.

17-Aug-18

17-Aug-18
Hunterma Score! Yes it is fir black trumpets but I have never found any in my spots. Great job. I have these Kings in the dehydrator right now.

17-Aug-18
In all our years living here I think we've found a total before today of about three. I cleared the land last year where we found these today, I think it was a combination of that and a perfect wet summer environment, uncharted waters for mushrooms through the Fall.

18-Aug-18

mrw's embedded Photo
mrw's embedded Photo
Not mushrooms, but these seem to be ripe now! Close 2 sections are Willamette, the far 2 are Cascade.

18-Aug-18

mrw's embedded Photo
mrw's embedded Photo
Here they are in the wild, or beer garden...

18-Aug-18

Mmmm MRW, let me know when it's time to test! I love Cascades! Sent you text this afternoon, I found these in your neighbor's yard, time to check yours .

18-Aug-18
I'd most likely die if I tried to pic my own shrooms... but man, they sure look tasty!!!

18-Aug-18

BruceP's embedded Photo
BruceP's embedded Photo
I'm with you Will, not about to try picking my own.

Anyone know what these are? Curious if they might be edible or if I'd wake up dead the next day. And for the record, I'm not planning on picking and eating them, even if someone tells me that I can.

19-Aug-18
I found some small chicks growing out of an oak on well visited public land, so I grabbed a chunk. Can I get that to propagate at my house?

19-Aug-18
Just curious, I was out scouting today and kept seeing these shiny purple capped mushrooms. What are they?

Never mind, I found them. I also found Indian Pipe on my hike. I thought they were mushrooms but apparently not. Very odd looking plant.

20-Aug-18

bowandspear's Link
Yah Sosso Indian pipe is very inique. BruceP don't touch those lol . Anyone looking to get into it pickup the Audobon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms (see my link) as one learning guide. I said, "one learning guide". One should never harvest anything for the first time without someone more experienced with them to give a positive ID. But you can bring this field guide with you (like I do ) when you have seen something new or to start learning about what you are seeing out there. It is the best $15 you will spend for this hobby.

yes MRW you can collect spores from the underside when they mature and propogate them in your own oaks. A new oak cut down/ or blow down could work.

05-Sep-18

Pasta with chicken mushrooms and cinnabar chanterelles
Pasta with chicken mushrooms and cinnabar chanterelles
Olive oil, garlic, oregano... That simple

05-Sep-18
Bow, that's good living right there !

05-Sep-18
Question for you Mushroom masters - what shroom is it that smells funky in the woods right now?

05-Sep-18
Skunk cabbage ! Sorry I had to

05-Sep-18

BQP's embedded Photo
BQP's embedded Photo
Came across these the other day. Never seen them before. Edible?

05-Sep-18
Xi - for real? I know in the spring it is stinky... I always thought this smell was some sort of fungi... (this time of year)...

06-Sep-18

06-Sep-18
BQP - I believe that is Sparassis, otherwise known as the Cauliflower Mushroom. If so, Yes it is edible and highly prized. But... I cannot give definitive ID without seeing it in person or better pic. If you have an experienced shroomer near you show him/her to positively ID or cut it iff at base and take a better pic and post it up here. A rare and very good find I believe.

10-Sep-18

Dthfrmabove's embedded Photo
What is this thing. Came across it stumbling through the woods today. Looks like a ufo landed in the woods. Lol

10-Sep-18
Lol give it a whack and let us know how it is

10-Sep-18
Hahahha only if I have some Jameson to wash it down with !!

! Found some others today that looked like mini lady slipper flowers. But the were only about 4” high and almost a translucent white. I really need to go pick up a book on these things

10-Sep-18
I was told a long time ago, by a dude who knows alot about shrooms, to stay away from those that grow under pine trees, as a very general rule for a biginner shroomer. I've taken his advice ever since, I'd rather not wake up dead or seeing dragons chasing me lol.

10-Sep-18
Another very general rule of thumb is that "most" of the mushrooms growing on trees are edible, it's the ones growing on the ground that you need to be extra careful about.

11-Sep-18
DFA I have no clue, but it does look menacing. Although a couple of species are edible, there are hundreds that are toxic/poisonous. In general, I do not mess with any cap mushrooms that have gills underneath. Even the edible ones ID's by better shroomers than me had little to no taste.. so why eat them. The only cap shrooms I do harvest are called Boletes (look those up) They have a solid spore surface on underside of the cap. Then there are some boletes that are dangerous too and some although considered edible, are not pallatable (taste like yuk or slimy or soft). Pick up a book and take one of the many day shrooming classes going on this time of year.

Odin said he will not let warriors into Valhalla for doing stupid sh&* like having a mushroom take you down. You must die a braver / smarter death to sit at his table and drink ale from the warrior's horn.

And DFA the slipper like ones you saw if they were growing in a group was probably Indian Pipe. Another non-edible but cool to see.

11-Sep-18

Chickens
Chickens
Well it's that time of year, and after this rain things should start popping rather nicely, the way mother nature intended. Quick 1 hr walk with my youngest today, he wanted to show me what he had foundm a downed oak decorated with ar least 50 lbs of chickens, some slightly too far aged.... But with plenty of fresh young growth at base.

11-Sep-18

Coral mushrooms
Coral mushrooms
And an area beginning to pop with crown tipped coral mushrooms. These are great in thai pad dish, soups and even deep fried. A slight peppery after taste. The next few days I should be back hitting the new growth clusters that just popped through.

11-Sep-18

11-Sep-18
And Yes, this is what is keeping me from screwing up my deer woods right now. I'm walking around pushing the deer out of public no hunt lands to you :)

11-Sep-18
Thanks for posting pics of those coral shrooms. I've been seeing them all over my bear spots, but am nervous to expand beyond the 5 or 6 I know well. I'll definitely be harvesting some of those soon.

12-Sep-18
My daughter really is interested in mushrooming. Her boyfriend just got her a mushroom growing kit. So how does one go about learning how to mushroom in the woods without dying? One tip I was told is to bring toothpicks and poke the shroom then put the toothpick on your tongue. It will react immediately if it is bad. Any truth to that one?

I have a buddy that has been doing since a child with his dad. Maybe it is time to take a walk in the woods with him. Pete

15-Sep-18

mrw's embedded Photo
mrw's embedded Photo
So I was driving to get my daughter after a sleep over and saw this wonderful fungal bouquet adorning the base of an oak tree. Pulled over and asked and the homeowner and wound up with 15 pounds or more of beautiful mushroom. I think it is chicken of the woods, well Bow&Spear says it is. He suggests vacuum seal & freezing what we don't eat. What do you guys do with them?

15-Sep-18

mrw's embedded Photo
mrw's embedded Photo
After some trimming I have wound up with this tray full.

Cooked some up with butter, Yum! Goes well with a Conga IPA from Revival Brewery.

15-Sep-18
Don’t think that is chicken Mark. I am no expert but it doesn’t have the coloration or look of it. Maybe hen of the woods which is more prized and grows at the base of oaks. B&S knows best but I would wait for him to speak out. DeanMan sent me a pic of one just like that but I could not properly confirm it either.

15-Sep-18
You might be right, I'm a bit green. I do know it's not poison. And I did text B&S when I found it to be certain.

16-Sep-18

DeanMan's embedded Photo
DeanMan's embedded Photo
Is this edible? What is it? Looks just like MRW

16-Sep-18
I'm not sure what that one or the previous one are, but I'm pretty certain they are not either chicken or hen of the woods. Glad there were no ill affects.

17-Sep-18
hey Mrw i am sorry but that pic now viewing here on my pc looks different (although the same) as what i was trying to view on my phone. Looks much lighter in color. There are actually quite a few specie/variations of chicken mushrooms some lighter, some grow slightly different shape. Without seeing that in person, I would bet that it is a variation. There is another called Bondarzewia berkeleyi, Berkeley’s Polypore that is very light colored, and although considered edible I have read they did not taste good. I thought it was slightly light colored in the pic you texted me because it was old, that's why i asked you if it was moist to the touch. The species we usually see here that are abundant right now are bright orange and yellow when fresh. I just found a 75 lb or so cluster. Always harvest from ones on oaks (trees or stump). *So if I were you, I would throw the one you have out. You will find plenty that can be 100% ID in the next couple of weeks. I will drop some off this week for you to see

19-Sep-18

Belchertown Bowman's embedded Photo
Anyone ID these? Small 1 inch heads. Even was nibbled on by a critter ,. Top mushroom

19-Sep-18

Growing out of a rotting stump

19-Sep-18
Hey BB, don't know about those mushrooms, but in some of my reading I've seen the term "LBM" (little brown mushrooms) and they are one of those categories that you'd better know what the heck you are picking before eating. Supposed to be some really nasty ones like that out there, which is why I stick to the few mushrooms that I know and that don't have any lethal lookalikes. Be interested to hear what others think or how you thought they tasted (Kidding!!!!)

19-Sep-18
Thats all i need to hear. Thanks

19-Sep-18

Arrownoob's embedded Photo
No gills it’s smooth underneath. Sure looks good anyone know what it is?
No gills it’s smooth underneath. Sure looks good anyone know what it is?
Looks like coral?
Looks like coral?

19-Sep-18
BB, I have no idea what those little ones are, but they look alot like shrooms I paid wayyyyy too much money for in my dirty hippy days, haha.

20-Sep-18
BB I don't know. Right now there are literally hundreds of different types popping up and I suck at ID'ng cap mushrooms will gills on the underside. (only a few boletes [no gills] that i know well) so I stay away. Even the crown tipped corals above that I had ID'd by a very experienced friend when i posted that I showed some to another experienced shroomer this week and he said they will never be growing from the ground. Different species. So Arrownoob, I have to pass on giving you a positive ID on those form that pic. Whiel the top pic doe slook like a variety of chickens, pass on that. Look for the bright orange and yellow type that should be popping up everywhere right now on oaks. As well as Hen of the Woods is starting to make their appearance. I will post a couple of pics later today as I have to harvest some I have seen and was waiting on. Chickens and Hen of the Woods are two easy ones for new shroomers to get started with.

20-Sep-18
This year I won’t be eating anything I collect but I have an interest. Keep up the posts if anyone is walking round the woods

20-Sep-18
Arrow some varieties are bomb proof safe, only a few. That is how I started.

21-Sep-18

Young Hen of the Woods, I left these to grow a couple more days. Good one for new guys to find these next couple of weeks.

21-Sep-18

Young Hen of the Woods, I left these to grow a couple more days. Good one for new guys to find these next couple of weeks.

21-Sep-18
Chicken Mushrooms. Bright orange and yellow. Look for clusters growing on oaks.

21-Sep-18

Chicken Mushrooms
Chicken Mushrooms

21-Sep-18

And a cool find for me yesterday after looking for a couple of seasons - Honey Mushrooms. Not an easy one, a few bad look alikes. And very short growth window so I just had to he lucky and stumble on to them.

21-Sep-18
Nice find on the honey shrooms. I've never picked them because I'm terrified of their imposters, but I've heard they are delicious.

21-Sep-18
Nice pics B&S, those hens look prime, I'd be tempted to grab them now before the bugs get to them, good patience.

21-Sep-18

Buckshot89's embedded Photo
Chicken of the woods?
Chicken of the woods?
Are these chickens? Don’t want to die! Help please!

21-Sep-18

Here’s another pic.

22-Sep-18

peterk1234's embedded Photo
Ok, I am really interested. My daughter bought a mushroom kit, so we have that going. But I found these this morning. I feel good that they are chicken of the woods but could use a verification. They are gorgeous. Right look and color and the bottoms look right...... I think. Pete

Update: Put a small amount in a skillet with butter and salt. Just ate a sliver size piece. Tasted great. So far, I have keeled over in pain. Did some reading and it appears that there are two chicken variations. And one of them tends to have a white underside. Oh, and ordered that book.

22-Sep-18
Damn. Honey mushrooms!!! Found a huge clump of those the other day but didn’t know what they were

22-Sep-18
Buckshot, although right colors your pic is blurry. Peter , the chickens I harvest have yellow underside (spore side) .

22-Sep-18

When it's on, it's on! A 30 minute hike and my son and I ran out of room in the baskets ;)

22-Sep-18

peterk1234's Link
bowandspear, I looked it up. There are two types of Chicken of the woods; laetiporus sulphureus and laetiporus cincinnatus. The first is yellow underneath, and I guess the most common. The latter is white underneath and is supposedly preferred, if you can find it. I am amazed at how it tastes, and so far no ill effects. I put up a link for the white version. I had a great article comparing the two, but now I cannot find it. I think I am going to hunt for more tomorrow. Pete

22-Sep-18

Excellent Peter. Here is a good pic of chickens for others to I'd. Top is topside, birtom us bottom (spore side)

22-Sep-18

And when life gives you shrooms, make Syrian bread pizza.

22-Sep-18
Nice!

Interesting to see the bottom of yours. It looks smooth with no pores.

So glad I read through this thread. Can't wait to take my daughter out to look for more chicken of the woods. I feel good about picking those. Maybe I will take a shot at hen of the woods next.

22-Sep-18
BandS, is that Hen of the Woods in the pic above next to the Chicken of the Woods shrooms?

22-Sep-18

Peter here is clouse up of the hens

22-Sep-18

Peter here is close up of the hens

22-Sep-18
BTW, I can't wait until I'm posting deer pics instead of these lol.

22-Sep-18
B&S.

I have a question for you. All I have read about the chickens says that if the stems are left on the tree they will grow again the next year. Well there were a couple I found last year that were last their prime so I just left them alone. Went back this year and they have not regrown. I had 5 different oaks that I had found last year and was chomping at the bit to get them early this year and nothing !!! I have been diligently checking twice a week for the past 3 weeks and there is no new growth and nothing that would lead me to believe that I missed the harvest already.

Any idea ???

23-Sep-18

Judging by the color. O would not try one of these !!!!

23-Sep-18
I plan on buying a book to correctly ID them,.. that is the best way and going to review this thread as I recall someone mentioning a good book.

23-Sep-18
DFA, why yes they will. All about timing. I have some stellar oaks that produce 150 + lbs of chickens and not a single sign yet. Usually see them the 2nd week of October. They are not on a schedule, it takes conditions (humidity, temps, etc) too be right for that particular shroom in it's particular spot. Keep checking :) .

23-Sep-18
Since I did not die overnight I decided a healthier dose of chicken of the woods was in order. Olive oil salt and pepper and then a couple of eggs scrambled. Tasted great. Next time chicken of the woods alfredo over linguine.

Thanks a lot guys, yet another hobby in the making. I guess the good thing is that it works well with scouting.

23-Sep-18
B&S. Thanks t I will keep looking. It helps that one of the spots for them is an area I have two stands so that will be easy to check !!!

Pete. Try them in a venison stew !!!

24-Sep-18
Does anybody know what critters eat chicken of the woods? I left all 10-12LBS on my deck in a big paper bag overnight. My plan was to soak, clean, trim, and freeze them on Sat morning and they were all gone. Looks like a critter brought the bag to the edge of the woods near my hammock, expelled every bit of stomach contents it had and devoured all but a few crumbs of my mushroom harvest. Looks like ill be shroom hunting again this week.

24-Sep-18

Deerdawg's embedded Photo
I think these are edible Deer seem to eat them? Anyone confirm?
I think these are edible Deer seem to eat them? Anyone confirm?

24-Sep-18

Honey mushrooms? I got to go to a schroom class
Honey mushrooms? I got to go to a schroom class

24-Sep-18

Chicken right? Sure looks it
Chicken right? Sure looks it

24-Sep-18

bowandspear's Link
Buckshot: I'm sure they are edible by animals, which one was there I don't know.

DeerDawg: Top pic - First - I have no idea. I'm no expert. I don't pay too much attention anymore to any cap type mushroom with gills. Yes, there are edible ones but many many more toxic / poisonous than good ones. A common mistake made is people think because an animal has eaten it that it is edible for humans. That is False. Other mammals have different enzymes that help them deal with certain species that may be harmful to us. Second - With a few exceptions, the colors red and blue are usually signifying harmful/poisonous in nature (plants, insects, reptiles.... even birds evolved to mimic this as a defense) . Third - there are other characteristics such as where it is growing, smell, etc... that cannot be attained from a picture to give you an ID from a picture. It would be reckless of me or someone else to ID based on that.

Middle pic - while it does appear to be honey mushroom - I would not ID based on the reasons I stated above.

Bottom pic - yes that is a chicken mushroom, maybe a little too far gone but I am not there to see it. This is one of the two beginners can start with - chickens and hen of the woods. Easy to ID and they taste good.

**** And someone mentioned bringing their kids above. Here is some important info if you do not know this already. We really shrug away from feeding almost all wild mushrooms to young children. As I stated above even with an edible variety certain people can have a reaction to certain ones different from I or you. Young children's gastro and immune systems are still in development and in the worse case scenario children have had a reaction and major liver and kidney damage. It's not worth it. With that said all 3 of my boys have grown up harvesting them and learning about them since they were knee-high to a grasshopper, as the event of being in the woods learning these things is appealing to children like mine :) . But.... I would not let any of them sample any type until they were 11-12. And after that only a couple of types. *That is my rule for me to keep mine safe*. Do your own research and make your own decision. Just a caring FYI. Although I am passionate about foraging as I am about hunting/fishing , I apply the same safety logic. "It's only a mushroom (insert fish/deer, etc...) It is not worth anyones health / life. "

Here is the link to a great book resource, the Audobon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms.

24-Sep-18

bowandspear's Link
Link to great class you take - Southern New England Mushroom Hunting on FB. Ryan and Emily are extremely knowledgeable. If a bunch of you are interested, set up a group outing with them.

24-Sep-18

B&S. One of the logs sprouted mushrooms in my Hunting area. !!!! Young and tender

24-Sep-18
My Audubon mushroom book came. Man, that thing is legit. B&S, thank you for that recommendation ( I think it was you). Pete

24-Sep-18
You are welcome. I'm actually looking at it right now to ID one for a friend. Great source

25-Sep-18
Has anyone watched "The Magic of Mushrooms" on Netflix? Looks like a good documentary.

25-Sep-18
I had some magic mushrooms back in the day. Oh wait, slightly different topic...

27-Sep-18

Had the pleasure of meeting Tekoa for a quick scout/recon of a local spot here yesterday and had to bring my basket lol. Ding - freezer is full. So hopefully my next post here is some Maitake sauteed next to some fresh tenderloin in the cast iron skillet.

27-Sep-18

Pickled Honey Mushrooms
Pickled Honey Mushrooms

28-Sep-18

Close up.
Close up.
Did I just find Hen of the Woods?

30-Sep-18

Chicken coral cauliflower. I’m a little skeptical of the chicken any thoughts?
Chicken coral cauliflower. I’m a little skeptical of the chicken any thoughts?
Well I went got the Audubon book it’s great. I think I found chicken, sure tastes like chicken. I ate a real small piece fried up. Can you look at the pic it looks different than the other photos, Botton is sulphur yellow like the book.

30-Sep-18
Peter I believe you dud find the Hens in pics above. The others too blurry to see when I enlarge it

30-Sep-18
Thx B&S. It is for sure. Great tasting mushroom. At first I thought it may be that black staining polypore because it very light brown, but everything else said Hen based on the book. Plus it did not turn black when I cut it or squeezed it.

I sauteed it with onions and some pressure canned pork. Fantastic. Had a ton left over, like five pounds or so. I sliced them into thin strips and put them into ziplocs and froze them.

30-Sep-18

30-Sep-18

My freezer is full but my youngest loves to hike and hunt them. All but the small cluster he was cutting for last Friday night. Probably 100+ lbs of chickens there awaiting someone this week.

30-Sep-18
those sure look slightly different than the ones i got. Yours have defined rings, a more yellow border. I tried some today and they did taste like chicken. I'll try a larger portion next before I pig out on em.

30-Sep-18
Holy sh*^. That is a jackpot of chickens. I need to start getting out in different woods never saw anything like that where I look !!!

07-Oct-18
I just rolled chicken of the woods in an egg wash then a batter made of flour, salt, garlic powder, pepper flakes and black pepper. Threw it into hot oil. Little fried mushroom sticks with a side of bourbon to wash them down. That was a winner.

08-Oct-18

Steveeg's embedded Photo
Steveeg's embedded Photo
I have no shroom knowledge. But just found these. They look cool.

08-Oct-18
There like 30 different russulas in my woods

08-Oct-18

Murphy31's embedded Photo
Some from this year.

08-Oct-18

08-Oct-18

Catch22's embedded Photo
Catch22's embedded Photo
Score!!! Sauteed in butter and olive oil and salt - awesome!!

08-Oct-18

Catch22's embedded Photo
Catch22's embedded Photo

08-Oct-18

Catch22's embedded Photo
Catch22's embedded Photo

08-Oct-18
You guys are killing me, man I wish I knew what I was doing with mushrooms, they are everywhere here at my place.

08-Oct-18
Xi me too. The one in my pic looks like “catch 22”What are those ones your eating bud? I just get a little nervous when it comes to eating them. I watched my buddies in high school eat some and do some not normal things. Just scared to get sick/ die or act like they did by eating them. I got the book mushrooms of the northeast and still it hasn’t raised my confidence any. Any advice on how to get started safely, is appreciated...

09-Oct-18
Steveeg, it's chicken of the woods. You can eat them.

09-Oct-18
Found my first batch of Hen of the woods after following the thread...game changer in my mind. Salt, Pepper,EVOO, and some butter at the end...paired with a steak. My wife took a picture of the mushrooms Incase I was wrong about what I was eating lol. Still standing thanks for sharing.

09-Oct-18

xi's embedded Photo
xi's embedded Photo
Someone help the slow kid please, are the chicken of the woods ? Thanks everyone !

09-Oct-18
It's been 6 hrs since I ate some, no purple tigers or clown faces chasing me and I haven't had an assplosion of diarrhea and I was able to urinate. I think I'm good !

09-Oct-18
Great stuff guys. Murph I am so jealous of the chanterelles, nice cauliflower and trumpets too! XI you are clear, those are good. The fresher the better culinary experience. Aren't the chickens good ? Taste like either mushroom infused chicken or in some cases lobster/crab. Depends on the shroom. I make many dishes where I substitute these for chicken. Especially good in pasta. Making them a regular part of your diet can have many positives. Fill the freezer if fresh.

09-Oct-18
B&S, clean, and vacuum pack, then freeze. Or clean and dehydrate? Thanks for the time and info !

10-Oct-18
Freeze

10-Oct-18
Thanks

10-Oct-18
Freezing and dehydrating are both easy options, I've also taken the dehydrated ones and run them thru a blender to make mushroom powder, good to add to stews/soup or put into hamburger for making mushroom flavored burgers.

10-Oct-18

Moons22's embedded Photo
Moons22's embedded Photo

10-Oct-18

Moons22's embedded Photo
Moons22's embedded Photo

10-Oct-18
Do any of you guys sell the mushrooms?

12-Oct-18

Boy, I thought I did good today and then I saw Monns' pics. Well, here is my batch of hens. There are mushrooms everywhere right now. I am so tempted to figure out one or two more but I swore to myself Hens and Chickens only until I know them inside and out. There was a beautiful polypore growing on a tree the was shaped and colored like a clam shell. Nice and meaty. Almost grabbed it.

12-Oct-18
Peter, that might have been an oyster mushroom, my personal favorite. Went out yesterday and brought two full bags home. Check it out online or via book, definitely worth it.

12-Oct-18

Here is a picture

12-Oct-18
It was one large clamshell looking thing. It was a polypore for sure; no gills. I should have snapped a pic. Been looking through my book but nothing looks exactly like it. Probably not something that tastes too good. Looked good though.

I guess I will have to learn about oysters :)

13-Oct-18
Yeah, oysters have gills so not that. Check them out though, they are relatively easy to find because of their color, they are on logs mostly but sometimes will be on a tree if it's kind of punky.

14-Oct-18
my brother has been shrooming for a few years and I just get so nervous because I can't identify them at sight. after seeing these pics I know I can now identify a few that I see regularly. thanks folks

14-Oct-18

xi's embedded Photo
xi's embedded Photo
Thank you to the Shroom experts, chickens and vidalias, in cast iron and butter of course !

14-Oct-18

Hard to tell from the pic but this one was about a foot in diameter. I am going with an albino Chicken of the woods.

14-Oct-18
PK, what color was the nose

14-Oct-18

Steveeg's embedded Photo
Steveeg's embedded Photo
Found 2 pairs of these today. Looks like breast of the woods?

14-Oct-18
Has anyone ever “planted” shrooms? I took some chickens and placed on various oak trees today. Maybe next year they will spread? I did the same w hens, same side of tree.

• Sitka Gear