Babysaph 29-Jun-18
WV Mountaineer 02-Jul-18
Babysaph 02-Jul-18
23-May-18
https://www.facebook.com/groups/WVBetterBucks/permalink/2553650741527041/

23-May-18

gobbler's Link

23-May-18
Sportspeople, we need to take this serious and call the Governor and nip this anti hunting attack in the bud. If they win on this one then next year other Park will be under attack. Everybody thinks it can’t happen in WV, but here we are under attack. If they win what if they decide they don’t want their Logan county elk hunted? We need to wake up and call the Governor and voice your support for the Chief Logan Park hunt.

23-May-18
Well who decides if hunters can hunt there now?

23-May-18
There hasn’t been a hunt at that one before. At last Commission meeting the Commission approved hunts at several additional parks when the Superintendent along with DNR biologists determine Deer population hunts are required. This group just doesn’t want hunters doing the herd reduction

24-May-18
Sorry about their luck. If the DNR wants it then it will happen. I'm of the opinion you just have to ignore these people and do it.

26-May-18

gobbler's Link

26-May-18

gobbler's Link

30-May-18
Dr.Seigle does a weekly show on a local radio station in logan......I forget the name of the station, only one around that area...............Maybe call in to it and ask the hard questions.. Name of his 30 min weekly show is, ask the Vet.

30-May-18
Cameron Stover was on the radio show and did a great job asking him some hard questions and laid out facts that contradicted the emotions.

30-May-18
What was his response? anything logical?

30-May-18
He did admit that people should quit feeding potato chips and crackers to the Deer .

30-May-18
How about corn?

30-May-18
It’s illegal to feed anything to wild animals in a State Park

31-May-18
Here is what i don't understand. We all know the hunt will take place. The same thing happens here where I live at Harpers Ferry National Park and Gettysburg. The hunt to reduce the deer herds always takes place. They do what you said and get "paid professionals" to reduce the herd. Are the flower sniffers against the reduction of the deer or having it be bow only and have hunters involved? From what I have seen in these parks having hunters do the reduction was not even an option so I think the anti's will win that part of it. As for the reduction of the deer I think that will happen. We will see I guess.

31-May-18
First, they don’t think the herd needs reduction, and if it does they think it should be done by paid professionals rather than by bowhunters. In my opinion, that tells the whole story right there.

31-May-18
I have contacted National QDMA and Sportsmens Alliance and after review have both sent in letters of support of the population control hunt at Chief Logan.

31-May-18
Yea that is how they are here gobbler. I would say that the herd will be reduced but I doubt bowhunters will be allied to do it. At least that is how it is here.

31-May-18
We’ll see how it plays out

31-May-18
Babsaph, I sent you a PM

01-Jun-18
I replied Turk. Let me know you got it. Sometimes my PM's don't work right

02-Jun-18

02-Jun-18
I wonder if the Wvba supports the hunt at Chief Logan ? We need all the support we can get .

02-Jun-18
I have checked their site and Facebook page a few times and have not seen anything. You would think this is something everybody could get behind.

02-Jun-18
Babysaph, Got it, Thanks!

02-Jun-18
Especially a fight that concerns bowhunting . I do hope they are fighting the anti hunters on this .

02-Jun-18
I thought part of the mission statements was to protect bow hunting rights in WV. I would hope it would be a given since it’s an anti-hunter issue. 10 State Park hunts were approved at Commission meeting but this is the one the anti-hunters have focused on. There is no doubt that the other state park groups are watching like a hawk to see what happens.

02-Jun-18
I hope they fight it better than the crossbow hunt.

02-Jun-18
Crossbows were a statewide issue for years and years and for better or worse depending on viewpoint at the minimum it increased hunting opportunities. I know a lot of Bowhunters didn’t agree with it, and for the record I still shoot a bow even though I’ve got torn rotator cuffs in both shoulders that I have to get cortisone shots in 4 times a year to be able to shoot my bow. Plus it was a legislative issue that finally got lost. But this is a small anti-hunting group in 1 county that is trying to bully the DNR that will result in a loss of bowhunter opportunity.

It’s just my opinion but if the WVBA isn’t fighting for bowhunting rights on an issue that the DNR proposed and was approved unanimously by the DNR Commission then I fear it will lose credibility among a lot of Bowhunters. Even though I’m not a member anymore I hate to see any pro hunting organization continue to lose members. While each group may differ in priorities, each group should be fighting anti-hunting groups and be trying to increase membership. I hope it’s making the right decision but I don’t know. I wish someone would clarify it.

03-Jun-18
With all due respect, commissioner, YOU were in attendance at the Canaan commission meeting when I stood up and went toe-to-toe with these people. I defended the DNR and the proposed hunts. I called Dr Siegel’s credibility into question directly. YOU were there, sir. Have you forgotten? I was the ONLY person to stand and defend the hunts. The WVBA was the ONLY group there that day to carry water for the sportsmen. I was outnumbered 20-1 but I gave better than I got. I made enemies that day.

You are being deliberately obtuse here, and for reasons I don’t fully understand. What other agenda or reason do you have to slander the reputation of the WVBA when you know the truth?!

I am NOT impressed.

03-Jun-18
Justin, I know you got up and talked and I appreciate that. It was brought up above and someone said they hadn’t seen anything on WVBA FB posts about this. I had 3 calls Or messages Friday after the second press release came out asking me if WVBA was helping. I had sent you at least 2 messages thru messenger about this issue with no response from you. I’m simply asking what the WVBA is doing, are calls being made by members? I talked to a member yesterday and was told he hasnt received or heard anything about it from WVBA leadership. I never stated the WVBA wasn’t doing anything about it, I didn’t slander the WVBA, but after receiving several questions about it, sending You 2-3 unanswered messages regarding the issue , seeing the questions above, talking to a member that hadn’t heard anything from leadership about it, I was simply wondering what was being done to fight this group. Stating the WVBA wasn’t doing anything when it was would be slander. Asking what the WVBA is doing after the press release went out Friday is not slander. No offense intended Justin, and I do honestly appreciate your speech at the Commission meeting but that’s not what is going to win this fight. Telephone calls to the Governor is what is going to win or lose this battle.

I truly do think that loss of an archery hunt by a group of anti-hunters will hurt WVBA, all WV Bowhunters, and all hunters in WV in general in the long run. Also, as noted above I hoped all hunting groups increased membership to fight these attacks.

Again, no offense intended, but it’s one thing to stand up at a Commission meeting and voice support but it’s another to mobilize an organization to put up an actual fight against a small group of anti-hunters.

I’ve been equally or probably more critical on the BBM site about getting people to call in.

My fight is not with WVBA, my fight is against anti-hunters that have been releasing fawns in the park illegally , feeding deer in the park illegally, and trying to stop a DNR and Commission approved controlled hunt.

Since I kept getting asked and seeing questions about what WVBA was doing(and I did tell the people that asked me that you spoke out against it at Commission meeting) , but you didn’t respond to the articles I sent you, and saying something is one thing, but getting something done is another I asked for a clarification about what actions were being undertaken?

03-Jun-18
Justin,I questioned involvement because I have seen nothing about the Wvba fighting this anti hunting movement on this board,the Wvba site or any other site. I could have missed it but I have seen the Wvba really vocal on many issues but even looking for info about this topic I have found nothing . So before you go off on those who question the wvba stance you should at least show where we can find your information on it .I am not impressed either for the lack of the voice for bowhunters

03-Jun-18
I do not generally post or monitor this board. I was sent a link this morning while on a plane so I responded.

I also shared the governors phone number on the WVBA Facebook this am. Again. From a plane.

I’m pleased that y’all that aren't members anymore are so concerned with what WVBA is or isn’t doing on this issue. It proves that the WVBA still swings the big stick in this state.

03-Jun-18
Its a fight against the protesters .We need everyone . Its not a fight against the Wvba. It your help we need not your silence. Thanks for you posting on the wvba site today . I hope its not to late

03-Jun-18
Mike, I’ve got my asshairs up on this deal because we were on the front lines of this deal a month ago. We were fighting for sportsmen on this issue before anybody else. I personally have been swamped at work and home the last couple weeks and haven’t been keeping up on social media to the degree I usually do.

Just because there wasn’t (until today) a Facebook post doesn’t mean we weren’t doing anything.

As the commissioner is well aware.

03-Jun-18

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
I am not the only one concerned about this. This is from the nations premire organization that sees and recognizes threats to attacks on sportsmen nationwide and fights them everyday. Trust me, they see it for what it is. They don’t release action alerts at the drop of the hat. They see and understand the future implications if the anti-hunters are able to stop this because they fight it everyday in states throughout the nation.

Justin I am fully aware of what you said at Commission meeting, again which I appreciate. However, I wasn’t aware of any other action. And when people started asking then I asked also.

03-Jun-18
I guess you are right. Once it becomes a legislative issue it really is out the hands of the bowhunters. And once those guns that shoot arrows become a legislative issue they will be passed also. They will give hunters more hunting opportunities also

03-Jun-18
How can they bully the DNR? If they want a hunt just have it.

03-Jun-18
Didn’t someone say that there were hunts like this in other parts of the state? I know of two here in our county. They have them every year. Just because some flower sniffers don’t want it doesn’t mean they should not take place. Just arrest them for obstructing and be done with it. Like I said earlier I don’t think bowhunted will be allowed to hunt them. They just want dead deer

03-Jun-18
Yes JR, controlled park hunts have been going on for 18 years throughout the state. Bullying occurs when they go to politicians and get them to put pressure on the Governor. Which is why a much larger show of support is needed by sportsmen

03-Jun-18
As a member of both organizations I am disappointed with the amount of tension between the WV Bowhunters Association and the QDMA. These organization should be working together when the need arises. Each organization has there own agendas but as highly visible groups the need to work together should take precedence when such issues arise. Maybe a face to face meetings can be arranged with the leaders to figure out what issues both organizations can agree to work together on to create a stronger voice. Just my thoughts Kenny Sanders

03-Jun-18
Justin, thank you for posting the message on WVBA FB page. It is most appreciated! Again, my fight is not with WVBA it’s with the anti-hunters. Despite different goals from different hunting groups these are the kind of events that should unite all into one voice.

03-Jun-18
How can a bunch of anti hunters stop a DNR and commission sponsored hunt with all due respect? If it is a legal hund let them demonstrate peacefully and go om with the hunt. If the Governor allows them to so the hunt well that is on him. I do agree though if they are allowed to stop this hunt then the can stop all hunting just bt demonstrating. That is theroblem wit this country niw. We lee a few fruit cakes run everything. If I went to the Governors mansion and protested that I didn't like the way they did their landscaping they would lock me up. Just ignore them and hunt

03-Jun-18
How can a bunch of anti hunters stop a DNR and commission sponsored hunt with all due respect? If it is a legal hund let them demonstrate peacefully and go om with the hunt. If the Governor allows them to so the hunt well that is on him. I do agree though if they are allowed to stop this hunt then the can stop all hunting just bt demonstrating. That is theroblem wit this country niw. We lee a few fruit cakes run everything. If I went to the Governors mansion and protested that I didn't like the way they did their landscaping they would lock me up. Just ignore them and hunt

03-Jun-18
I have a couple questions. Are there hunts on other state parks to reduce the deer hunt that are now conducted by bowhunters? And is this a hunt in Logan county that has taken place before that the want to stop or a new hunt that is being implemented? And it looks like the Sportsmen alliance swings the big stick .

03-Jun-18
I agree that we have to let the legislators and the Governor know we want this hunt. If they can stop this hunt they can stop all hunting in the state.

03-Jun-18
JR, there have been controlled hunts on state parks for 18 years. Both Archery and gun hunts. Chief Logan is one of the new ones proposed and because it’s in an Archery county it has to be Archery only.

03-Jun-18
Oh ok. I get that. Then if hunters are doing this in other counties with rifles then why can't logan county do it with bows? I just can't imagine the "sharpshooters" reducing the deer herd walking around the park with bows. And I agree. Let the bowhunters do it. We have a hunt here in Shepherdstown on federal property and they reduce the deer herd by using hunters and they have a lottery and the hunters hunt the deer with the weapon of the season. Not really hard to do

03-Jun-18
I don’t think there is a big disconnect between QDMA and WVBA. I personally agree with much of what QDMA advocates. There are some personalities in the two groups that don’t get along and there is butthurt among a minority on both sides that is counterproductive. The fact that some folks resigned WVBA over deer management and related issues is unfortunate. My perception is that all of the above has colored peoples’ perception of what the WVBA is or isn’t doing.

Between a major research proposal deadline, an ill-timed vacation and business travel I have been less on the ball over the past 3-4 weeks than usual, especially with regards to formal communication via WVBA channels (eg facebook), and I’ll own that.

Regardless, I try to have productive collaborative relationships even when I disagree with folks on an isssue.

I think the fact that this has been taken out of the DNR’s hands and is now the realm of politics is a losing proposition for us all. The optics of this issue are bad. It is now being tried in the court of public opinion and that is BAD.

03-Jun-18
Justin, I consider you a friend even if we disagree occasionally. People can disagree and still be friends. Even national pro sportsmens orginizations like Sportsmens Alliance has picked up on this issue as an action alert to its members. If the Governor wanted to stop this he would have, but he postponed his decision for 30 days to gather more information. I think if Sportsmen cave on this it will set a precedent that can be used in other parks as well as urban and homeowner association hunts. We know there was opposition to a number of urban hunts but biology and science won out as it should.

To me this has nothing to do with buck limits and EVERYTHING to do with caving to one small group that freely admits to releasing Deer into the park and feeding Deer in the park, both of which are illegal, that don’t want scientifically based wildlife management in “their” park. But has stated they are ok with having “paid snipers” kill the deer. I think the last sentence of the press report where people are asked to contact the Governor with their opinion is the most important sentence in the press release. The court of public opinion usually means whoever calls or e-mails the most wins. State parks are owned by every citizen in the state not just the citizens where that park resides. Do we really want a few citizens of one county to dictate what happens or doesn’t happen on state land that is owened by citizens from all 55 counties? The judge in this will be Governor Justice and he will determine what happens.

I would suggest that anyone that has a doubt or concerned with the optics to contact the Sportsmens Allience and ask what happens and usually follows when anti-hunters win in a situation like this . They deal with these issues on a daily basis on National, State, and local levels. JMHO, but when anti-hunters is causing wildlife management to be taken out of the DNR control and instead tried in the court of public opinion then that is the time for Sportsmen and pro hunting groups to stand up and unite, not sit down. In their last memo I saw they said they had 37-47 people fighting this and wanted to grow it with a protest next weekend. We have over a quarter million deer hunters in WV. If Deer hunters can’t or won’t step up to an anti-hunting issue then shame on us.

03-Jun-18
I agree Yecas Aggies but if the legislators don't stand behind their own DNR then hunting is in trouble

04-Jun-18
Well then the Governor is to blame. He should just tell them to get lost.

04-Jun-18
I think he wanted a 30 day period to hear from people and have DNR look at Park again

28-Jun-18
Well, the opponents of the Chief Logan hunt won. Emotions seem to have prevailed over scientific management of game populations. What will be next?

28-Jun-18
Nobody's fault but the govenor's as they said it was his decision to make. He already knew the scientific evidence. He is no real hunter.

28-Jun-18
I wonder how the anti-hunters of Logan county will feel when their elk population reaches a point when they can be hunted? Will the millions of dollars the sportsmen of WV put into the reintroduction of elk into WV be taken into consideration considering that they were financed by and belong to all citizens of WV ( as is the case with Chief Logan Park as well) or will the concern be how hunting will effect the tourism the elk bring to Logan county and take precedent over sound management and hunting opportunities?

It’s amazing and surprising that of the 10 State Park hunts that were recommended and approved by the DNR the one in Logan county was the only one That caused a problem as there are a lot of good hard core bowhunters in Logan county.

29-Jun-18
Well did they have a vote on it or did the Gubner say he didn't want the hunt? It's my understanding it was his decision. I'd say the people of Logan County want the elk and tourism dollars.

02-Jul-18
Unbelievable. Absolutely unbelievable.

02-Jul-18
Doesn't look like the gubner wants the tourism dollars. Man this burns me up. Gobbler you are so right. I would have never thought the anti-hunters would have stopped hunts in the great state of WV. I do believe you are right. Wonder what will be next. But when our own governor is not with us we are doomed. Glad I am 62 and have my own place to hunt. Someday I may not be able to even hunt my own land. I still can't believe this happened.

• Sitka Gear