TT-Pi 02-Jun-18
Cougar 02-Jun-18
jdrdeerslayer 02-Jun-18
xi 03-Jun-18
TT-Pi 03-Jun-18
DanaC 17-Jun-18
01-Jun-18

Belchertown Bowman's Link
Now if you are like me, you probably live in a neighborhood or do not own land that you can farm and put up a food plot on. I am using a buddies land for my first food plot.

While cruising around the interwebs I noticed a way to make a gorilla grow clover food plot that I had never heard of. Maybe many of you have heard of this,.. but for me it was brand new.

If you could find large tracts of forest say owned by a logging company you could create a food plot on that land without bringing in a chainsaw to clear the woods. It would be pretty stealthy over all and extremely easy to do! I do not think clearing the trees you will even break a sweat,..

It is probably not legal to do this on logging land so I only recommend it as a theoretical type of thing.

01-Jun-18
hey BB, just bought a house in belchertown! I've got some sumac in my back yard if you feel like testing out the ol hack and squirt

01-Jun-18
Welcome to town,.. after you unpack first stop R&R Sports! LOL

01-Jun-18
i did today! picked up a new bag target for the back yard. built in 20 foot drop-off to shoot from. pretty nice!

01-Jun-18
Not sure what that guy has in the bottle. But if it’s roundup, I’m skeptical. Because roundup doesn’t have that kind of juice, in my experience. Plus the stuff in the bottle is green. Would love to know what it is.

02-Jun-18
Jeb, X2. Not much of squirt either. Personally would just wait till winter and selective hinge cut.

02-Jun-18

Belchertown Bowman's Link
On some reading I did on a forestry management forum,.. it is Arsenal,.. 40x stronger than roundup and kills the roots of the plant. They added dye to the herbicide. This hack and squirt is a common practice among forestry management folks. The chemical they recommended will not ship to Ma,.. but Garlon is the match for this state. It is not cheap either!

Hinge cutting is an option but once again carrying in a chainsaw to public/ private logging land might be ,.. not a good ideal and could attract unwanted attention. A hand saw is another option but if you have ever tried to take out a 1 foot oak with a hand saw you can understand. And I have done sort of cutting when younger ,.. it is not for us 50+ year duffers

Being able to clear out a 1/4 acre section of woods with little effort ,.. is astonishingly powerful. Combine that with clovers ability to grow in partial shade and you really have some ability,..

02-Jun-18
Cougar, Keep the sumac, its a late fall and winter food with one of the highest fat contents of any native plant.

02-Jun-18
Come on , Hack, and Squirt ... sounds like a kinky slasher movie.

It does look like a good method especially for larger trees but one can also girdle a tree without using the juice. I don't know if there is a tool that makes it quick, like a pipe cutter. When clearing I just hack through the smalls and would strip a 2 " ring of bark from the medium ones. I was told that copper nails will kill a tree.

02-Jun-18
makes me itch! lol

02-Jun-18
you can buy 41% gly concentrated at tractor supply....then mix heavy if you really need to wipe stuff out. i mowed my clover today, tomorrow im spraying it with 24db and cleth

03-Jun-18
PI, out in Western Mass we call those tools to girdle a tree a chain saw !

Sorry but I had too !

03-Jun-18
I done heard of them, Xi. You western boys have all the new fandangled gadgets. I'll bet you ain't pushin' a plow by hand any mo neitha'. Lordy just gimme a big sharp rock and I'm happy 'nuff.

17-Jun-18
Hope to see you Belchertown archers at Swift River on July 1st. 3D archery, registration from 7-12, all Reinhart targets, challenging shots.

• Sitka Gear