HDE 07-Nov-18
smarba 07-Nov-18
HDE 07-Nov-18
mrelite 07-Nov-18
Outdoorsdude 08-Nov-18
HDE 08-Nov-18
plough 11-Dec-18
02-Jun-18
Munos battled for us (NM residents) and got us more tags. Experience in politics. NM resident hunters need to remind them selves.

I have talked to him personally. He wants to open all state lands and prosecute.

03-Jun-18
Munoz maybe? Details on why? Is he a politician at heart?

Marty H. is a hunter and public land advocate but I wish he were not in office...

03-Jun-18
I thought Garrett because he's promised to get access/camping on State Land, but seeing his commercials on TV I'm beginning to wonder. Then in Alibi Garrett says he'll stop hunting contests on State Land...

04-Jun-18
Munoz ran the bill that got residents more tags in the legislature. He fought the war despite LO's opposition. He also want's to make sure that state lands are open and free to use.

04-Jun-18
Here's a story. About a year ago my dad had a trip planed for the Amazon. One of the excursions was a day of peacock bass fishing. There was a guide, but he needed to bring his your own gear.

Someone referred my dad to Garrett. He met with him, gave $100 for his campaign. Garrett promised the rods, reels and tackle to borrow.

One week before his trip, Garrett doesn't answer phone calls. Left messages and nothing. He's a POS. Took my dads money and didn't return the favor.

I had to spend a day and a little money to get my dad stocked up on new rods, baits and braided line

05-Jun-18
HDE .. Yeah hes a politician, but he's a good guy our politicians in NM are not paid. Means well and fought for us, I remember the battle he had in the floor Senate over tags. Send me a PM and I will give you his number. He'd gladly like to speak with you.

05-Jun-18
Yeah Garret is just another liberal.......screw him

05-Jun-18
I'd feel better about him if he had an (I) after his name instead of a (D). But, a "D" is about the only way to win elections in NM at a state and fed level...

05-Jun-18
Very true HDE, especially when he lives in Gallup

05-Jun-18
Seems like all I hear is fight Trump and stop the NRA from killing kids.

Makes me throw up a little in my mouth every time I hear it.

05-Jun-18
A good (or bad) land commissioner is least of our worries. Heaven help us if Lujan Grisham gets the govr's ticket...

05-Jun-18
Might as well get ready HDE that likely will happen.

06-Jun-18
It did, and will. Won't be good and will be a long 6 years...

06-Jun-18
So now what?! We have Stephanie Garcia Richard who from the little bit I've read online is a lib against hunting/trapping, proponent of "wild" (FERAL) horses. Or we have Pat Lyons.

Lose-lose...pick your poison

06-Jun-18
Might be a good time to think about relocating...

06-Jun-18
Smarba, that's what I read as well, I also didn't read anywhere that she even had any qualifications to be somewhat competent in the job. It is also scary that she was able to get that many votes with virtually no campaigning, I would be surprised if even one hunter voted for her and it was super unfortunate that we had 2 candidates that split hunter votes and now look at what we face, someday maybe hunters will not be fractured but the way things are going we will eventually fall to the anti's

I do agree that Munoz is a good guy and would have been an acceptable SLC, he was also instrumental in getting SB 196 passed but he got into the campaign late with no hope for actually winning, I felt his campaign commercials were kind of lacking conviction and substance, he also chose to attack the only other hunter friendly candidate and didn't say one negative thing about SGR, she was the one that Munoz and Garrett should have been tearing down so now we have to choose from a proven scoundrel and a extreme far left wacko. Garrett might have been on the left side of things but he was 100% solid in the hunters corner, we would have instantly been camping and scouting on state land from day one and there wouldn't have ever been a back room deal to sell or trade our lands, too bad for us hunters, we did it to ourselves again!!

06-Jun-18
Hell Pat Lions wasn't that bad, was he?

06-Jun-18
Pat Lions is not the public hunters friend, I believe he was instrumental in the Whites Peak land swap, I also don't recall anything positive for public hunters coming from his tenure but if someone knows of something he did that was good they should post it up because now we have to choose one of the two.

06-Jun-18
Yeah it was going to be an uphill battle for George from the start. But he helped us out, and shot me a text. So I did what I could.

There were other shady land swaps Lions did or tried to do. Whites peak was the big one deemed unconstitutional by the State Supreme Court and was halted, twice. There was some other stuff while at he was at PRC regarding inappropriate use of government vehicles, which of course he defended.

06-Jun-18
I don't think any of it was communicated very well to the point I would venture to say that this is the first time many hunters heard or saw their names.

06-Jun-18
Agreed and I don't understand why. Are forums like this, MonserMuleys, Waterfowler.com, etc.etc. which could be a free and easy medium to target users of State Lands and introduce yourself.

06-Jun-18
Guess it depends on who is running and what they stand for. If anti - hunting, then twitter and facebook are the places to "campaign".

I'd wager that 85% of the voters out there don't even savvy what a Land Comish does or is for - they just mark the first box and move on.

I think Munoz needs to try again in the generals and register as an Independent...

06-Jun-18
Might be an idea. Also find a campaign manger worth a crap. Nothing on his website highlights his accomplishments or his endorsements.

06-Jun-18
Wonder if the (D) steers alot of voters away...

07-Jun-18
I think Munos/Garrett divided the vote for Steph to win. The next problem would be if Munos (or Garrett) were to jump in as (I) would that divide the next vote so we end up with the worst of the worst (at this point I'm not 100% certain which that is), or would either of them have a real chance?

07-Jun-18
If Munoz is better than Garret and Steph both, then Garret needs to sit down and shutup and let the general go between Munoz as an (I) and the other as the (D).

Then you'd see the split for what it really is. Munoz needs to project to the outside world he is for all recreational use of public land while the other is not. Who's platform is better for the schools...?

08-Jun-18
Vote for the guy or girl that will put all the private land tags back in the draw, make elk hunters choose between archery, muzzle, or rifle, give residents unlimited archery tags ( restrict number of tags for Q/HD units.) increase non resident tags and put them all in the same pool ( no outfitter preference) oh and the archery season should run from Sept 1st to the 25th in all units. In other words, put it back to the way it used to be.

10-Jun-18
Apparently Ned is unaware of the growing archery population

10-Jun-18
I do agree with making us choose one weapon on apps. That would open some slots in the draw for archery guys ,but that's it. NR tags in the resident pool? No thanks. Unlimited archery tags? No way! I'd say no to the 25 day archery elk season also. I would love to see the Gila archery seasons go back to 3 season.

11-Jun-18
The RESIDENT tags use to be unlimited, but they restricted some unit allocations to keep hunter numbers down, like in the Gila. IF you didn't draw your first two choices you were guaranteed the third, because there were several units that remained unlimited. Not sure how they allocated the NR tags back then, but it was probably a percentage like today, only there was no outfitter preference. They also made you choose a weapon, you couldn't put in for an archery and muzz or rifle , that also cut down on archery entries. I use to put 2 Gila units, then unit 34 for my third choice, a sleeper unit back then and unlimited. So it would be resident tags unlimited archery( choose weapon) Non resident archery say 60 tags for example per unit, season runs from sept 1 to 25 all units. Im sure it would never happen, just wish it would.

11-Jun-18
HDE, no need wonder about that. When Democrat = liberal, you know the answer ;)

12-Jun-18
I'm all for a 25 day elk archery season and unlimited tags as long as it only applies to me : ^ )

04-Oct-18
Well, it looks like in a few weeks we'll have to chose between Pat Lyons (per post above- he is not the hunters friend) and Stehanie Richards (per post above, has no qualifications for the job and has almost nothing to say about what she is for or against). When I read where Pat is "for ranching" I take that if he needs to chose between making a rancher happy or a hunter happy, it won't be the hunter that is happy. I recalled a post put out by Backcountry Hunters and Anglers awhile back where both candidates answered some questions. Pat was "evading the question" for the most part. Stehanie did an ok job of answering the questions. Anyone want to chime in on who might be the best option for NM hunters? Here is Backcountry's questions and answers for your reading-- https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/backcountryhunters/pages/4943/attachments/original/1525799533/Land_Commissioner_candidates.pdf?1525799533

05-Oct-18
Are we choosing bad or worst? I'm all ears for anyone with insight.

05-Oct-18
LOL I am not sure which is bad or which is worse, with Lyons we get more of the same, Scummy backroom dealings with prime state lands, extortion of the G&F, buddies of the LO cartel and of course the group he represents hates the public hunters, would like nothing more than to promote privatization of certain lands, the public hunters lose.

With Richards we get a super left wing progressive who hates the oil industry of which has been NM's life line for many years, vows to end all trapping on state lands which is very very disturbing!! who the hell is she to dictate how to manage the wildlife in NM? what next, no hunting deer or elk? that is the job of the G&F biologists. She may just open the door for the Anti hunting groups to come rushing in cloaked in the name of Ecotourism. Wind farms all over the place! of which there is no hunting around them and boy howdy they sure are beautiful!! nothing like seeing them on the landscape......... beautiful blinking red lights while you are looking at the stars.

All righty, anyone else have any thoughts??

05-Oct-18
IF your a hunter buy a 55 gallon drum of lube because we are going to be bent over until the next election.

06-Oct-18
Maybe it's a good time to a new state...

10-Oct-18
Garrett doesn't seem so bad now, eh? The vitriol against him had led to having two horrible choices. Garrett may not have been perfect in every way, but dang at least he ACTUALLY HUNTS and publicly vowed to help hunter access to State land.

10-Oct-18
^^^write in...

10-Oct-18
1997 the law that restricts the number of NR hunters was put into place and the guide outfitter clause was attached to prevent those businesses from going under due to a monopoly of a few large outfitters in the state. Prior to this there was no NR limit and some units had draw rates as high as 50%. Going back to a 25 day season is a waste. Most hunters, even in prime units like the 16s, would not use a fraction of that time regardless of their success. Work, family obligations, finances all limit most hunters in the amount of time they can dedicate to a hunt. I had no issues with the 3 hunt system except that last hunt was only 5 days and should have been a couple days longer. It gives more opportunity for more hunters to draw tags. But i say absolutely no to raising the percentage of NR tags regardless of how many more tags are added to the pool. And yes we need to revamp this LO tag system. As for this election Richard is a liberal who has a record of backing liberal bills in this state including strict gun control. That in itself should stop any hunter from casting that vote.

10-Oct-18
Write in will never get enough votes to make one whit of difference.

So I "think" I'm in agreement with Weekend Warrior. But dang...it hurts to consider voting for Lyons.

10-Oct-18
The trapping issue is really bothering me, she obviously has a complete disregard for our G&F department, it's biologists and all of the NM hunters that support trapping.

I am also very concerned about Richards and Grisham winning at the same time, our state would go so far to the progressive left that we may never recover.

I'd like to hear someone make a solid case in favor of either candidate, it's easy to see all of their bad because it seems that's all there is.

10-Oct-18
They kept the same amount of tags but put them in two hunts. Instead of 50/50/25 for three hunts they now have 75/50. I wish they would put it back to the three hunt option instead of 2 hunts. It definitely hurt draw odds to have two hunts. That has to do with the game commission which we need to work on changing the make up of.

I can't see benefits in either candidate for SLO to vote for either. It will definitely be a lesser of two evils choice.

07-Nov-18
"So now what?! We have Stephanie Garcia Richard who from the little bit I've read online is a lib against hunting/trapping, proponent of "wild" (FERAL) horses" ~ smarba, June

Good question, because that's who won and with Mitch appointing game commission members, good luck NM for hunting/trapping opportunities in the future...

Nebraska is looking pretty good right now, or Idaho...

07-Nov-18
Methinks we ended up with the worst of 2 bad options...

07-Nov-18
Yep.

07-Nov-18
Nothing worse than the foul oder of progressive estrogen

08-Nov-18
welcome to mini-cali..... how long before hunting and trapping eliminations are on the ballot? --in a way they already are voted on, and "sportsmen" did it themselves!

08-Nov-18
Once the tourism industry is implemented in full, you can count on it...

11-Dec-18
I know pat lyons...the election is over so this moot...pat is a hunter/rancher...he knows both sides of the story...you cant please both sides everytime...the job of the state land commish is to manage state land for revenue which supports the schools...he made some unpopular decisions but he would talk to anybody at length about what he was doing....he had to balance the wants/needs of hunters, ranchers, and schools

• Sitka Gear