Belchertown Bowman 05-Jun-18
RatherBLucky 05-Jun-18
xi 05-Jun-18
jdrdeerslayer 05-Jun-18
04-Jun-18
Need some help here,.

I have been unsuccessful in my online research into when clover dies back in the fall? Is it first frost, after a few frosts,.. or a heavy freeze,.. anyone have typical dates and include where you live in mass if you throw out a date? Anyone seen green clover in snow? Up until this year I have never paid attention!!! :(

The clover type is that Landino white mix from Whitetail institute.

Thanks

04-Jun-18
Finally found it:

But clover has a downside. First it doesn’t last as many years as alfalfa. Three years is pretty typical for a clover plot before it is overtaken by grass. Second, clover isn’t as viable as alfalfa from a commercial standpoint because it yields less and isn’t as marketable. Also, clover flattens and loses its attractiveness for deer (not to mention its food value) after the weather turns cold. In fact, the first killing frost puts clover into a dormant stage when much of the nutritional value is gone. So clover is not a great late fall and winter planting in areas that typically experience hard frosts by the end of October. However, because it is simple for hobby farmers to establish and maintain clover remains a strong consideration.

04-Jun-18
BB, don't over think this, fair warning. Your fine for just starting out. Do you have access to a tractor, if so what size.

04-Jun-18
Uses my many years of computer skills,.. I would identify the tractor as a medium sized one LOLOL

Its a JDeer you can estimate the size on the Building my First Food plot thread. Technically the land owner uses the tractor for me. So far he is not letting drive around on it,.. Yet,..

I am just trying to figure out if I am going to put a line/swath of brassicas around the edge of the clover plot to extend the attractant season past typical late October early November frosts which will make my clover toast apparently,..

As always Xi,.. thanks for the advice to a Food Plot Noob!

04-Jun-18
sucky thing about clover is i find it is king as far as draw april -october. then right about time our season opens it goes to crap give or take a week depwnding on weather. thats why i try to brewak up my plot into different sections/ types. one great thing ive found is raddish, its the 1st brassica type plant they will hit (grows easy) and will come in late season for them as well

04-Jun-18
Thank you,..

04-Jun-18
JD,..

Radish,.. from my gardening memory are like 35 to 45 days till harvest , cold loving. When do you plant them for max hunt after clover,. with bow into gun window? The cold on those last 10 days may mean a lot on a planting date,.. ??

So when do you dump those super fast growing radish seeds in the fall and what town you located in? Location will help me figure a drop date for my town,..

04-Jun-18
im not far from you....warwick. usually around last week of july till 2nd week of august. ...if you plot is big enough idealy you could plant some each week for different growth stages.....also weather is number one factor( next to soil test).....plant right before rain

04-Jun-18
BB is falling down the rabbit hole big time! Haha. I've been doing the same thing the last few years, this is the first year I've really let up on the throttle. Just went in last month with a few bags of lime, the whitetail institute clover, and another grass blend. I usually go with a no till, but I've tried a bunch of stuff, all of it working fairly well. The best is the clover, but as we've all observed and noted, it's done by October. This year and last I've taken to smaller micro plots within the same area, staggering clover in one spot, next to it grass, next to that chicory blend, etc. This is all done with hand tools and sweat. I did a couple of micro clover plots along the creek this year and I'm curios to see how they do. Mostly I just have fun with it, and try to provide an extra food source. My hope in going with smaller plots is that once the clover dies back something else is still green a few feet away. Now your really going to get yourself in trouble when you start in on the minerals next! Lol. What I noticed with the mineral even more so than the hope that it will help with antler growth, is that it draws doe and fawns. Once the doe and her young become regulars at your mineral sites the bucks start checking the area, scrapes and rubs appear, and they continue to check the area through the rut, long after the mineral is gone. Now that I've figured all this out, if I can just find a way to take of more than half a dozen days this year, and not stumble through the woods like an idiot, I might actually get a shot at a decent buck! Here's to crossed fingers and double lung shots!

05-Jun-18
Ya sucked in Bad! It is a great hobby though,..

So the 3 of us visited the plot on Sunday to do basic maintenance, and cut back trees from edge,.. we wove them into the wood line creating pretty much only 2 points of entry to the clover.

Funny you would say that Eastie,.. I dumped a mineral pile in the middle of the plot and a 30 lb pressed deer food block. (more Cha Ching :( ). We saw deer tracks all over the plot and maybe they will stop chomping on the baby clover and hit the block instead?

Ya I've pretty much completely lost it!

05-Jun-18
Are mineral sites baiting? In other words, do you have to pull those out whatever it is (10?) days before the season starts so you are not potentially baiting? Or could you set one, and just not hunt it, use it as a "nice" thing for deer in the area and avoid it?

05-Jun-18
By September it will be gone washed away,.. same with the food block. But ya I do not think you can put our mineral salts right before hunting season. I also noticed last year the mineral sites did not get hit after august, it went dead on our cams? Maybe there was another reason but it seemed like it just got turned off in August. We went from hundreds of pics to zero after august,.. no pawing on the ground nothing,..

05-Jun-18
What are you using for mineral. I've tried three different kinds this year, and the deer just walk right by.

05-Jun-18

Belchertown Bowman's Link
Maximizer,..

I researched em a bit and this chart sums up why I picked Max

It is true many products are just mostly salts but Max is a lot more.

PS maybe other folks have them all over the place so they are not needing it?

05-Jun-18
Trophy rocks, 16.00 at tractor supply. Break it in half or cut it . Your getting deeper BB, only a matter of time before your on Craigslist for used equipment.

05-Jun-18

Belchertown Bowman's Link
Pretty good and quick video on over seeding a clover plot with late season annuals,..

Pretty much sums up my plan,..

05-Jun-18
pretty soon you will be like me.....i started my plot 13 years ago logged it, and started working it with a 4wheeler and drag harrow......now i have 40 hp tractor , 3 harrows, york rake, timber grappler , box blate .....its slippery slope your about fall down lmao....but it is a good hobbie

• Sitka Gear