spike78 08-Jun-18
HolePuncher 08-Jun-18
N8tureBoy 09-Jun-18
05-Jun-18
Poor poor soul....either or depends on location

06-Jun-18
tree stand !

06-Jun-18
Really not that simple, many things go into it, the set-up. How agile you are, some people do not want to or cannot go up into a tree. I prefer tree stands when possible. Blinds might help contain scent, but there are usually blindspots.

06-Jun-18
Tree stands, it help eliminate some of the hard to see brush and better vision

06-Jun-18
Now everyone here already knows what I'm gonna say... ground blind for sure.. easy access in and out. Don't have to worry about safety straps and harnesses. And the best part about it when the deer come in it is much more exciting being so close to them.. also I feel it is more of a challenge taking one from the ground rather than in a tree. But you gotta work with what you got. Sometimes the area may call for hanging a stand or vise versa.

06-Jun-18
rawdog - welcome to CT hunting, but sorry to say CT is one of the worst governed states there is. Get ready to open your wallet, over and over in this state.

I'll bet 98% of the guys use a treestand for bow hunting, and some of the guys on this site have several, like 30 of them, set up on their private land spots. I hunt state land in the NW corner and carry my stand in and out each day, but also like to still hunt early in the season to do a bit of scouting in my usual places and new places as well.

Good luck!!

06-Jun-18

Wild Bill's embedded Photo
Wild Bill's embedded Photo
I prefer a climbing tree stand. The visibility, more often than not, allows you to see/hear the deer, before they see/hear you. Where to hang the stand is vital, and reading sign and the woods is a learning process. I prefer a climber because it allows me to move if needed and it comes home with me after every hunt, rather than get stolen. Also, I shoot a recurve and being close to the target is critical for me to make a clean kill shot.

06-Jun-18
WB - that deer you're holding is way under sized. I would let the young ones walk and wait for the mature deer:)

06-Jun-18
I like to use my climber, nice to be high and above the ground cover. It also helps you see further around your hunting area. Stephen.

06-Jun-18
Bob 50 or 60 LOL

06-Jun-18
I tried bow hunting out of an enclosed blind once for turkey and hated it. I think it was being outside but still felt like I was inside. To claustrophobic.

I always gun hunt from the ground but never in a blind.

06-Jun-18
Historically, I'm a lot like Toonces description. I mostly bowhunt from a stand (climber only in CT, occasional fixed position stands and mostly climber here in MA) and when I gun hunt it's almost always on the ground. I just like the simplicity of it.

That said, I'm not a fan of heights, and as time goes on, I feel myself testing the waters more with hunting from the ground.

06-Jun-18
At the moment I have 2 ladders, 5 lock-on style and two ground blinds set up. I have more to hang and a few ground spots that I like. My summit climber sees less time now-a-days, but still gets used also. Depends on weather, wind direction and mood. Early season is better concealment with ghillie on the ground. But visibility is less too. I get more fidgety on the ground though. If a stand is comfy, I can sit for 3-4 hrs. All day in my climber.

07-Jun-18
" I would let the young ones walk and wait for the mature deer"

Bob, Just so you know, they mature in considerably less than sixteen years.

07-Jun-18
Drop the mic Bill. Drop the mic! Hysterical! (Bob, I'm sorry... This ongoing 16 year theme has become to funny. I suspect you know it's in good humor, but I want to be sure. That said, please dont shoot a buck for a while, if it came down to 3-4 i think everyone here would be both happy for your success and sad for the loss of the 16 year thing :))

07-Jun-18
Depends on many things. If I had my choice I would go climber Everytime. But.. you need extra 40 min to set up and take down. Need physical health to use climber. Makes noise setup. So for early morning sucks waking up 30 min earlier then other options. Ladder or hang on , better but lacks options if busted prior or wind bad. Ground blind, lacks options bit super quick to get to and set up. Limited visibility relative to ladder climber. All have their place. I have all and use each. Have to decide based on setting and situation.

07-Jun-18
I like both all depends on what the situation dictates.

07-Jun-18
Treestands, way more visibility.

08-Jun-18
So since I'm Polish I decided to put my tree stand on the ground and stand on top of it so I could hunt both ways at the same time. It's not easy being this smart. Not me, thanks for the tip:)

08-Jun-18
You laugh bud but ive done that..being freakishly tall for a Paisano ,in my blinds where buckets and milk crates are pretty uncomfortable, some one gave me an old hang on that i cut in half..VIOLA!! Just mind the first step off..

08-Jun-18
BBB, I've also put my stand at the bottom of a tree, just off the ground. Gets me off the ground just enough to shoot over a wall or scrub bush. Like being in a blind, but not sitting on the ground or stool/chair. In the right spot it works pretty good. No ladder or pegs needed.

08-Jun-18
Hold up here. You just moved from a liberal state loaded with deer to a liberal state with less deer. I think your going backwards. But I guess CT will at least let you put 10 rounds in a mag. I prefer stand but like Will hate heights and like the ground as well but less confident there. I prefer no blind cuz their is a lot of animals I would not have seen if I was surrounded by walls.

08-Jun-18
no blind or treestand is best. just sit at the base of a tree and dont move.

09-Jun-18
Much safer if you doze off while on the ground...

• Sitka Gear