jdrdeerslayer 06-Jun-18
xi 07-Jun-18
mboudreau 07-Jun-18
Belchertown Bowman 07-Jun-18
Will 07-Jun-18
06-Jun-18

mboudreau's embedded Photo
mboudreau's embedded Photo
So the plot is seeded,limed, and fertilized, just keeping my fingers crossed the deer dont decimate it by the end of june.... this is a trial run with the polywire fence, anyone have opinion on effectiveness against summer overbrowse?

06-Jun-18
Have you had prior attempts get decimated?

Good luck and keep us posted.

06-Jun-18
MB, check the ground on wrapping around a tree. Make sure it is entirely grounded. JRdeerslayer has experience with a fence, just talked about it today. Hopefully he will explain.

06-Jun-18
XI, I should have mentioned I just strung the wire before Pic was taken and I had wire temp tied to trunk to keep tight. Wire is only contacting insulators... 5000 volts hopefully keeps them honest till early september when I take it down. How are you keeping them out of your beans?

06-Jun-18
i have not done well with micro plots or fences. micro seem to be once they get a taste for it they mow it to nothing in a few days. as far as fences they work ....to well. 2 years ago i did 2 acres of soy beans. 2 row fence around it . it kept them out....i pulled the fence down 1st week of september . they wouldnt go near it till febuary. kind of like the invisable dog fence idea....after they get zapped afew times they learned to avoid the area. just planted another 2 acres of beans last week....no fence maybe if we had a very high deer population where they had to compete or look hard for food it would end up different. but that was my findings

07-Jun-18
I don't fence anything, never have. I don't have a large enough population that makes an impact on the plot.

07-Jun-18
well, that's disappointing, but so is my maple sap hobby.... I think I will put up a trail cam to watch it and maybe shut off the fence in august instead of september. Thanks guys for the feedback tho.. Mike

07-Jun-18
Hey M,.. do you think it might help if you put a food block into the plot when you take down the fence? The smell of all that yummy food might cause them to cross the zap line?

Also I put a food block in my plot recently figuring they might hit that and ignore my clover when there? Although I have no clue on use or longevity of a block, first time using one this year.

07-Jun-18
That's wild J. Just more credence to the idea that classical conditioning can teach deer... So if they sniff you / see you / bust you, changing locations may just be the best thing going. Adding that to the studies showing how fast they learn to avoid hunters makes me want to really cycle trees and rarely hunt the same one until it's mission critical or November and a great funnel.

• Sitka Gear