Belchertown Bowman 07-Jun-18
Will 07-Jun-18
spike78 07-Jun-18
huntskifishcook 07-Jun-18
Proline 07-Jun-18
Cougar 08-Jun-18
07-Jun-18

Belchertown Bowman's Link
I have been curious about peoples views on something.

It has been said by a skilled hunter that deer will not likely enter my food plot unless the wind is favorable to them meaning they can check the plot out downwind before they even get to the plot. Or if the wind is not favorable to the deer, they may enter it at night.

It is my plan to examine when the deer are there,. what was the wind on that day and time,..? I will post my results in a couple of months.

I believe you can look at historical wind dates and time at this link.

So what do you think about that statement on wind being favorable and the food plot? Anyone with a food plot ever examine this? Do they always enter from downwind?

07-Jun-18
Good question, and your "study" will be interesting.

This is a tough one. Sometimes I think the "specific wind" thing is over blown, I mean, a deer isnt going to walk to Lake Ontario from Springfield to get a favorable wind to head south - obviously over stated, but you get my point.

I think there may be some "micro" dosing here. I deer will go where it wants to go, and it will use it's senses to do that safely. It's best sense, is it's nose, so... they are going to use it. But will they avoid a great food source if they can not enter with a good wind? My guess is 90% of the deer - no... but those 10% of deer that live a long time (say 4.5+ years), be it buck or doe, they do things differently. It wouldnt shock me at all if they prefer to approach a food source from the down wind side, even if it's a considerably harder path of approach.

Looking forward to your data!

07-Jun-18
Will be interesting results. My opinion is that the deer still have their eyes and ears so they may go anyway.

07-Jun-18
I totally agree with Will. They wouldn't get anywhere if they only traveled with wind to their face. I've been reading recently about mature bucks actually leaving their beds consistently with wind to back. The theory being that over millions of years being hunted they have learned that if they leave their safe zone with wind to face predators can follow their scent trail and they won't have anyway of knowing. If they leave wind to back their scent is blown forward where they can then see the predator approaching. I know that's not food plot specific, but I found that pretty fascinating.

As far as entering fields/plots, I was able to watch a buck, probably 2.5 years old, last season who went out of his way, two nights in a row, to enter a field at its very lowest point just at closing time. I later checked it with milkweed, if you were anywhere in that field after sunset your thermals dropped directly to the point where that buck went out of his way to enter the field. A couple does entered the field, but didn't follow that script. Maybe he'll be one of the bucks who gets old like Will mentioned.

07-Jun-18
Agree with will. The wind thing is a general rule. How many times do we sit in the stand with wind perfect only to have the appear where you don't want walking with wind at their back.

08-Jun-18
Ditto on the lowest point, as the sun sets the evening thermals pull all the scent down, bucks are notorious for entering from there just at or after dark. It can vary though based on where they're bedding, sight lines, cover, hunting pressure etc. Dan Infalt often suggests that bucks will feed with the wind to their back so they can see and smell nearly 360 degrees.

• Sitka Gear