Rut Nut 25-Jun-18
Rut Nut 27-Jun-18
Thunderflight 27-Jun-18
rust4brains 30-Jun-18
Rut Nut 30-Jun-18
TPlank 03-Jul-18
Rut Nut 03-Jul-18
08-Jun-18
Looking to put together an overnight backpacking trip to coincide with the Elk Festival the weekend of Aug. 18 and 19.

Thinking of driving out Thurs morning, then hike in somewhere and spend Thurs nite, fri and fri nite camping and looking for elk, fishing etc........then hike out Sat. morning and be at the Elk Festival by noon and watch the drawing at 1pm.

Chime in here if you are interested..............................

08-Jun-18
Great offer, however I am sure after all these years that I am sure of the outcome without traveling out there that far. Donating money to the Elk, dat's me.

08-Jun-18
LOL! I hear you John..................................................but wouldn't it be really cool to actually be there IF your name is drawn???!!! ;-)

I really just want to go out there and see if I can find some PA Elk while backpacking. ANd I've also never been to the Elk Visitor Center out there and always wondered what the Elk Festival is like. So figured might as well try to combine everything into one trip!

08-Jun-18
Thanks for the invite, sounds awesome and always wanted to see the center. And yes it would be cool to be there, except crowds...

09-Jun-18
That’s why I plan to balance it out with some backpacking..............gettin’ AWAY from the crowds! ;-)

09-Jun-18
Rut,

Thanks for the offer. My son and I are planning a 2019 DIY in Colorado. Would love to do this, I just don't think I'll have my new equipment sorted out by then. 'Specially the pack and the boots.

Tom

09-Jun-18
Tom- I have extra packs and 2 man tents if that’s an issue. All you’d really need is a lightweight sleeping bag, pad and a couple freeze dried meals.

10-Jun-18
Sounds like a good time to break in a new pair of boots for the Colorado Hunt.

10-Jun-18
Hain't no Elk pack trip worth sleeping in a 2 man tent with ole Rut Butt. Yed need and oxygen mask to breath with all his bad farts:)

10-Jun-18
I may be interested.

I'm not going elk hunting this year. I drew a NM Barbary Sheep tag for Feb and I'm going elk hunting in CO next year. I need to save up the money to pay for all of that..... LOL

I was already thinking of doing something like this in September to get my bugle fix..... LOL

10-Jun-18
LOL Roy! But to clarify..........I will be in my one man tent- was offering Tom one of my 2-man tents for he and his son if they go. Or anybody that needs one.

Sounds good Chuck. May I suggest.................get your bugle fix early (in Aug) on this trip, and then come hunt with us in 5C in Sept! ;-)

10-Jun-18
I knew that Rut..

But you know how it goes:)

10-Jun-18
Sleep upwind.

10-Jun-18
LOL guys! I’ll even leave the Mtn House Chili-mac at home this time! ;-)

11-Jun-18
I'll be at the elk festival but I'll be staying down the road in my camper

11-Jun-18
ANdy- leave the camper for a few days and "rough it" with us............................it will give you a good idea what a backcountry elk hunt would be like.

11-Jun-18
Perry,

I may just do both!!!! LOL

11-Jun-18
Sounds good Chuck! Always great to meet Bowsiters and UBP Members! (in person ;-)

12-Jun-18
I'd love to but Nicole loves the elk festival and wants to go, if it was just me I'd be all for roughing it

12-Jun-18
Ok Andy- I guess we'll just have to meet up with you at the festival then.

12-Jun-18
Sounds good to me

23-Jun-18
Rut, Watch it, I've met Thunderflight before, be very careful..... ;) I'm joking, I met Chuck, many years ago, he's a good guy.

Chuck, Perry is a gret guy, you'd have fun roughing it with him

25-Jun-18
Thanks for the kind words Pat- the check is in the mail! ;-)

27-Jun-18
Well, it looks like I will be making a trip out to Western Pa the 3rd week in July. I'm thinking I may take that opportunity to do a couple days scouting while I am out there and try to nail down a good route for our backpacking trip in Aug. I'd like to try to find a good "Elk-y" area.

27-Jun-18
Pat! how goes it!

Perry, how about doing the trip in September when they are bugling?

30-Jun-18
Doing well Chuck, thanks!

30-Jun-18
Chuck- you think Aug 18 is too early for bugling?

03-Jul-18
Aug 18 is too early for bugling

03-Jul-18
Ok- thanks Todd.

Chuck- when were you thinking in Sept? It would have to be early in the month for me, since we will be getting ready for the 5C hunt by mid-Sept.

• Sitka Gear