twodogsphil 18-Jun-18
catchindeers24 18-Jun-18
JL 18-Jun-18
BIG BEAR 19-Jun-18
Burly 19-Jun-18
ground hunter 21-Jun-18
JL 22-Jun-18
08-Jun-18
The DNR is recommending the following new proposals for the 2018 deer season. Here is a short take on what they will be proposing to the NRC at its next meeting. 1. The creation of a new 13 county CWD zone consisting of the following counties...Clinton, Eaton, Gratiot, Ingham, Ionia, Isabella, Kent, Mecosta, Montcalm, Muskegon, Newaygo, Ottawa, and Shiawassee. 2. Hunter using deer urine attractants would have to use either artificial or those certified by the Archery Trade Association. 3. A baiting and feeding ban in the entire Lower Peninsula effective 1/31/2019 4. A baiting and feeding ban effective immediately in the 13 county CWD zone. 5. A new private land antlerless tag at a reduced cost that must be used by 11/4 in the CWD counties. 6. An early antlerless firearm season in the 13 county CWD zone. The dates would be 10/11 thru 10/14. 7. In the 13 county CWD zone firearms that were used during firearm season would be allowed during muzzleloader season. Basically a 6.5 week firearm season. 8. The director can authorize an additional 9 day hunt between 1/2 and 3/31 in the CWD zone.

There are more details other than this but these are the main topics. For us bowhunters I would like to know where the safety issue is with when it comes to allowing a firearm hunt for 4 days in October. Cant wait to hear the Farm Bureau and the Chamber of Commerce cry about the baiting ban as they will state that it will hurt the farmers and local businesses who produce and sell the bait.

10-Jun-18
Wisconsin tried the eradication method. The people in those zones became pretty upset when it worked and the deer sightings were no longer worth the cost of a tag. The disease still spread. Adding private land sharp-shooters to the eradication will be next. WI did that too. WI also added Earn-a-Buck where you could not shoot a buck until you killed a doe in the CWD zones. That led to some bigger bucks but it really reduced the herd. I feel bad for all the people in the eradication zone. Expect that zone to expand annually.

10-Jun-18
I hunt Shiawassee, Clinton and other Michigan counties. Looking forward to new regulations, lots of dynamics. Never feed untested Michigan venison to your family,... from any county.

10-Jun-18
This is gonna suck for that area. I just wonder how long it was there before they found it.

11-Jun-18
"never fee untested venison" really,,,,,,, I am in the woods all the time..... if I did see a sick deer, its obviously going to get killed and not consumed,,,,,, except I have not seen one in the last 30 years, except, for a spike that was wounded I put down........

Last year when my heart was being fixed, the surgeon said, that would be the last thing I should worry about,,,,, He said, eat venison, not anti biotic filled beef,,,,,, I think I will be just fine

11-Jun-18
I would not take a chance on feeding this type of " potentially harmful " venison to my wife and children, without testing first. Why do it with all the other alternatives.... and without testing when tests are available.? You can, I prefer not to.

11-Jun-18
How do you get your deer checked ??

12-Jun-18
In some areas they have testing centers set up to remove tissue for sampling. Can also contact the DCPA at MSU, or check with the DNR for a center nearest you.

12-Jun-18
I'll look into it...... I'm not driving hours out of my way to get a deer tested unless it came from the CWD area.....

13-Jun-18
BIG BEAR, I don't see the need for testing in the UP - yet. I've never done it and don't plan to do it unless CWD shows up in my county and then I'm still not sure I would do it.

13-Jun-18
Question I've always asked myself is possibly how long was CWD present in Michigan and undetected? Given the history of Michigan hunters shooting deer at a year and a half old and younger (myself included) it could've been here but not presenting itself.

16-Jun-18
I thought there was no evidence of transmission between venison to humans.

18-Jun-18
swampcop asked "Question I've always asked myself is possibly how long was CWD present in Michigan and undetected? Given the history of Michigan hunters shooting deer at a year and a half old and younger (myself included) it could've been here but not presenting itself."

Highly unlikely considering the many hunters with an aversion to shooting does and the widespread populations of great-great-great-great grandma and older does out there.

18-Jun-18
As a response to your original question buckhammer, it amazes me that Michigan has not done something with requiring blaze orange attire for at least walking to and from their hunting location. I just got back from a bear hunting trip in Ontario, and they require that you wear a blaze orange vest and hat while walking to and from your location because it is a combo firearm and archery season, as well as have your weapon encased while walking into and out of the woods. I can get behind the blaze orange, but the weapon encasing seems a bit outlandish.

Anyways, for the safety of bowhunters in Michigan, should this proposal pass and the 4 day firearm season happen, it would be wise for them to require blaze orange for at least any time any hunter is on the ground, regardless of weapon. It just makes the most sense to me because I could easily see a firearm hunter mistaking a bowhunter with only camo on as a deer, especially at first or last shooting light. Unfortunately I also think it will take a fatal accident before something like this actually goes through.

18-Jun-18
I would ask if CWD management is a big of a concern as advertised....why wait until the traditional hunting seasons to start removing deer? They could start now.

19-Jun-18
I would ask if CWD management is such a big concern..... Why are does still off limits to archers in the U.P. ?? As soon as they find one deer with CWD in the U.P. (And they will.... it’s in Wisconsin)...... Then the DNR will want to eradicate all the deer in the U.P. as well..... So why are they trying to stockpile deer there ???

19-Jun-18
There are alot of questions why the DNR do what they do.

21-Jun-18
Big Bear,,,, why do they allow deer, to come across the bridge, from the lower to the UP, where CWD is, but go nuts if any deer comes into the state from other areas not boned out................................

I would think any hunter with a lick of sense, would wear blaze orange if firearms are allowed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, your point though is well taken

22-Jun-18
Semi-related topic. I was talking to a DNR bio a bit ago trying to get some 2018 antlerless quota numbers. The final numbers haven't been approved by the NRC yet. However for his 4 county area......Wexford likely will stay the same (private/public) from 2017 and Osceola public will stay the same but private land was recommended to increase up to 9000 (+3000-something increase). I think it was Lake and Mason will be increasing too. The increases are CWD related. He said alot of folks hunt south and bring the carcasses back north with them and that is concerning. A place I hunt in Osceola is approx 50-60 miles from the first CWD zone.

I did see a DNR news release from yesterday (6/21) saying a suspected positive was found in Jackson County located dead in a field. The first test was positive and they're waiting on a 2nd confirmation. It was a 3 yr old doe. I'm guessing she likely spread quite a few prions.

https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-350-79137_79770_79780-471315--,00.html

• Sitka Gear