bb 12-Jun-18
Bigbuckbob 12-Jun-18
Ace 12-Jun-18
rix102 12-Jun-18
Eric Vaillancourt 13-Jun-18
rix102 14-Jun-18
Shawn 15-Jun-18
09-Jun-18
I drew a Maine’s moose Sept Bull tag. Bow, muzzleloader or rifle?

09-Jun-18
I would bring both bow and MZ

09-Jun-18
2x LB

09-Jun-18
How many years did it take to draw one ?

09-Jun-18
I drew in 2000 after applying for 3 yrs. I have applied every year I could after that so I had 16 or 17 preference points for this draw.

09-Jun-18
X3 LB.

10-Jun-18
X4 LB. Those tags are very hard to draw and unless you are a diehard bowhunter, why mess around.

10-Jun-18
Both and hunt bow 2 days and gun the rest. The fact that he drew after just 3 years makes the preference points a scam in my opinion.

10-Jun-18
Couldn't agree with you more spike.. 3 yrs.. 16 yrs...cmon.. I would take the bow and muzzle loader. Good luck..

10-Jun-18
Congrats on the tag! For me it came down to the question of whether I wanted to kill a moose with a bow or a rifle. I consider myself much more of a Bow Hunter. During the rut Bulls are very callable. Depending on what zone and which season I'd say take the bow and go for it! Sept season is the rut.

I shot a bull in VT with my bow and spent a week in ME with a bow in my hand never seeing a bull.

I can tell you this MOST guides will tell you to bring a rifle, or both. Then when a bull walks into the clearcut 150 yards away, They'll say: "shoot him before he walks away".

It's your tag but a rutting grunting bull killed with a bow at 10 yards will make a lifetime of memories. A rifle killed bull will provide 2-3 years of great meals. For me I would spend the rest of my life wondering if I'd only had a bow would he have come close enough, and would I have closed the deal.

Either way, do your research. And have a blast.

11-Jun-18
I'm with Ace on this one. It sounds totally fantastic regardless of how you do it... I think I would go with the bow. The challenge and adventure given it's nearly a once in a lifetime event would be worth it. The memories and adventure of trying to get close and make a good shot would be worth it - meat or not, for me.

But, if I was to go with a gun as well, I'd go bow and rifle.

11-Jun-18
LB & RB!

11-Jun-18
kapow! .....probally a once in a life time tag......take the rifle get it done. you will not have less of a great time

12-Jun-18
I agree with jdr...this will most likely be the last Maine moose permit you will ever draw. I drew in NH a few years back and the thought crossed my mind to bring a bow...but only very briefly. I do not regret the decision to bring my rifle one bit. If I ever draw in Maine, I am DEFINITELY bringing my rifle. The only other option is to have your subpermittee carry a rifle and you can carry your bow...if the bull of a lifetime shows up at 200 yards you can always shoot it with the subs rifle

12-Jun-18
Hunting Moose with a bow is not easy, it's certainly not a gimmee. I'm with Ace on this, If I had the tag, I wouldn't bring a rifle. I would hunt hard, do the best I could if I were getting on animals and went home empty handed, I would be OK with that. I've done it plenty of times. It all boils down to what you feel is important on your hunt. If you feel the need to bring a rifle as a back up, there's nothing wrong with that. It's all about what you want out of your hunt. The one thing I would caution against, is succumbing to pressure from guides or friends to shoot one , whether with a weapon you don't want to or the one you don't really want . Guides have a nasty habit of pressuring hunters to do just that. Don't fall for it...it's your hunt.

12-Jun-18
For me, moose is too tasty and the non-resident tag too hard to get to not use a rifle. Good luck with your hunt

12-Jun-18
Swap that tag for a zone 28 bull tag and call Dennis Perry, he'll put you up in A nice little cabin and call one into your lap. Shoot it at 10 yards with your bow, Then you can spend the rest of the week bowhunting deer and catching salmon.

12-Jun-18
A couple guys recommend Smoldering Lake outfitters. Are there any other recommendations out there for zone 4.

13-Jun-18
I drew a tag in Zone 1 after applying since 1994.

A little history, I bowhunted moose with Mike's Outfitting in AB last year and never got a shot. I spent 10 days with Midnight Sun in AK for moose in 2016 and never got a shot. In addition, I am going back to Midnight Sun in AK this year for 18 days in September.

I drew for the Oct. 8-13 season.

I doubt I will shoot one with a rifle but is is sure tempting. I wish everyone well.

14-Jun-18
Ive decided to bow hunt however my sub will have a rifle ready to hand over if needed.

15-Jun-18
Good idea rix

• Sitka Gear