houndy65 14-Jun-18
SBH 15-Jun-18
Titan_Bow 15-Jun-18
SBH 17-Jun-18
DMC65 08-Jul-18
Titan_Bow 13-Jul-18
SBH 19-Jul-18
13-Jun-18
Hey guys, I come up to hunt Montana every year, but have never brought the wife and kids. When I am in griz country, it doesnt really bother me, I am "bear-smart" with my camp, have spray and a firearm, and just use common sense. This summer, I am taking the family on a summer camping adventure, and we'll be stopping off in Yellowstone. My plan was to camp the night in a Forest Service primitive campsite north of Jardine. Other than the obvious things of keeping a clean camp, not eating in or near our tent, keeping food and toiletries in the truck, etc. should I take more precautions? electric bear fence? We camp alot as a family in black bear country here in Colorado, just have never had the fam in griz country before. Thanks

13-Jun-18

Amoebus's Link
Good tips here:

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/campinginbearcountry.htm

14-Jun-18
Everything you said, just be extra cautious, grizzlies are a different sort. good luck and have fun.

15-Jun-18
Backpack camp or Car camp?

Lots of bears around Jardine so you surely need to be paying attention. You guys should be fine and it sounds like your prepared. There is a grizzly that is hanging around Jardine this spring but he hasn't been a problem at all. Keeps to himself but gets seen a lot. I think as the weather gets better he moves up and up and up. Most of those bears should be up higher by the time you get there.

15-Jun-18
Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback. I'll just be very vigilant and make sure everyone is taking all the right precautions. Like I said, normally, I wouldn't think too much about it, but as soon as you bring the wife and kids into the mix, my perspective changes completely! Thanks again.

17-Jun-18
Ya..I hear ya. You are spot on.

Don't let it ruin your trip. Be safe, have fun and remember that most of it is in our heads!! Enjoy Your time with your family in MT.

08-Jul-18
Just food for thought. A friend of mine who has spent a lot of time in the Yukon an nwt said That having women in camp adds a different dynamic , risk, than just guys. He told me that was the first thing he was taught at guide school. When you have ladies in a camp with bears present you must be super vigilant. It's the time of the month thing . Not trying to dissuade you but be extra cautious. He also said that in his Saskatchewan bear camp his lady hunters have a super high success rate on mature boars during his spring hunts. He says it's not coincidence.

13-Jul-18
Thanks for all the feedback guys. We did end up having a great trip and the camping was awesome really. We camped a night in the Bighorns in Wyoming, then after Yellowstone, we camped up above Jardine, and then up by Glacier. Proud of my wife and kids for being vigilant but not being freaked out or anything. My little girl was so excited because she actually spotted a bear while we were driving in Glacier!

19-Jul-18
That's awesome! Good for you guys. Sounds like a great family trip.

• Sitka Gear