Orion/CO 23-Jun-18
huntperch 23-Jun-18
goelk 24-Jun-18
huntperch 24-Jun-18
Woobie 25-Jun-18
BIGHORN 25-Jun-18
Paul@thefort 25-Jun-18
19-Jun-18
Anyone have experience with antelope decoys? If so what brand? I've been looking at the fuller body style like the Montana decoys one, but the ultimate predator bow mounted style intrigues me. I'd love to hear your thoughts...

19-Jun-18
Look at Randy Newberg hunts for antelope when he uses the be the decoy.

19-Jun-18
I used the Montana decoy a few years ago. Was hunting out of a blind and had the decoy set in the ground. In the morning when the wind was clam it was fine. When the wind kicked up during the day the decoy actually spooked a few animals away. I think because of all the movement. I also tried a stalk holding it while crawling. I did get within 50 yards or so. The buck seemed interested and actually came towards me at first....then he decided something wasn't right and that was that. My opinion is that much like deer at the right time they can be very effective.

19-Jun-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Using decoys in general. If you will be hunting over water, the "water hole" will be a good decoy and a pronghorn decoys is not needed. Timing is everything when using a buck decoy (bow mounted or others) to attract a buck to within bow range and that time is usually just before the peak of the rut ( in Colorado around mid September),when the dominate buck is defending his herd.. When you see the herd bucks defending their herds, and chasing away smaller bucks, that is the perfect time to use a buck decoy. If you use a buck decoy too early on, the does will run and take the buck with them which has been my experience. Some have used bedded and feeding does outside of their blind in a wheat field or pasture and that seems to work at times.

20-Jun-18
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll probably try making my own disable decoy to have on hand, but will probably try hunting from a ground blind over water as you suggest, especially as the rug won't be underway until the bow season is almost over here in CO. Paul, we're those pics from a ground blind I assume from what you wrote? That's what I'm looking for in August!

20-Jun-18
*foldable decoy

20-Jun-18
Lol TheColoradoOutdoors I thought there was a typo in your message. I just watched one of his hunts in NM with the "be the decoy" on YouTube, that was fantastic. Crazy that they get into bow range with that thing!

20-Jun-18
It sure is amazing. With my luck, I'm not even going to try.

21-Jun-18

before
before
Yes the pictures were from the ground blind

21-Jun-18

and AFTER
and AFTER

23-Jun-18

Orion/CO's embedded Photo
Orion/CO's embedded Photo
I used a decoy last year for muzzleloader antelope (firs time mzldr for antelope). It was a tough hunt to try to put on a stalk with wearing orange and nothing to hide behind, and I did not have the time or a good spot to set up a blind. Years ago I tried bowhunting for antelope without a decoy or blind, and I could get within 75 yards on a lone buck with just low crawling and wearing camouflage, but they would not let me get closer. Anyway, I was using the decoy as a shield (holding it as I crotched forward) to try to hide behind, and finally it paid off as I got within 75 of this buck to get a shot with my muzzleloader. With a bow I still would have been out of range, but then again with a bow I would have been in camouflage. Good luck!

23-Jun-18
I have a brand new set of Montana buck and doe I will sell for $100

24-Jun-18
hey do you still have the decoys? Are they antelope?

24-Jun-18
Yes buck and doe Montana new in the package,

25-Jun-18
I've never had it work Aug 15th-Sept 1st, but it is sure fun to try!

25-Jun-18
Paul, that looks like a gut shot. Just pulling your chain my friend.

25-Jun-18

Merle, looks that way but the shot was a hard quartering away. Grazed the back leg but the sharp BH, sliced the heart. As you know a neat animal to hunt. Will be doing that on the eastern prairie this August. Hope you are well. my best, Paul

• Sitka Gear