bwallace 25-Jun-18
JohnMC 26-Jun-18
Treeline 26-Jun-18
bwallace 26-Jun-18
Glunt@work 26-Jun-18
Treeline 26-Jun-18
Jaquomo 27-Jun-18
20-Jun-18
My son drew a limited elk tag in Colorado. Usually on a hunt, I carry my bow and bear spray. This year, I won't have a tag, so while accompanying him, I'm thinking of carrying my S&W 44 magnum and the bear spray. Then I'll have some sought of weapon plus bear spray. I'll be scouting/glassing, hiking to the truck getting more supplies mid-week. I have a concealed carry permit (which works in Colorado). I shouldn't need any sort of hunting license to be moving about during an open season, dressed in camo with a weapon?

20-Jun-18
I don’t believe that you will be breaking any laws with what you’ve proposed.

Just my 2 cents...Unless you are concerned with two legged animals, I would not carry a firearm and perhaps just carry the bear spray. Or buy a bear license, you’ll never see one...it’s always worked for me!

20-Jun-18
I would get a small game license and carry an accurate .22 handgun for grouse.

20-Jun-18
Pretty sure it’s permissible to carry a side arm while afield regardless of CCW, though if there is an issue the permit will lay problems to rest. Also open carry is legal.

20-Jun-18
The last time I carried my .22 a 400 pound cinnamon/red bear got within 15 yards of me. A .44 is a great item to have because the report is enough to scare many bears away. If that doesn't work a well placed shot will deal with any bear. Its sad to kill a bear for no reason, so I'd much rather scare it off with a shot in a stump or something. The before-mentioned bear was weighed at 411 pounds as it was on the porch of a nearby landowner that afternoon clawing its way through the door and it was dispatched before it made its way through. DOW at the time officer came up and investigated. The bear was later weighted and it already had a tag in each ear.

20-Jun-18
I once had a bear just stare at me as I torched-off a couple .45 LC rounds past him.. Then he turned and wandered off when he got good and ready.

21-Jun-18
You can open carry. No need for CCW permit.. but I second the idea of a small game license and .22 ..

21-Jun-18
Taurus judge with both 45 and .410 loads. Just remember which one is up when you see your target, that 45 really does a number on the grouse...

21-Jun-18
I would be looking at the configuration of the revolver. Is it a short barrel? or a longer 6" plus. The latter could be said ya could be hunting. I carry an XDS mostly for the 2 legged or a curious kitty! I have has bears at a few feet quite a few times, not much worry. I used to carry a 696 44 spec. S&W revolver but it to was short barreled. In Colorado its legal to open carry so your legal with whatever, just might save you hassle if it can't be construed as a hunting handgun.

21-Jun-18
I don't believe there is an issue open carrying a revolver that could be a considered a hunting handgun. Something that doesn't carry that designation would be useless if you needed it for bear defense. I guess I'd be wrong if you were carrying a 10" barrel .460 S&W with a scope, but a 4" open sight .44 is just as much as personal protection firearm as it is a hunting handgun, maybe even more so. I guess the warning shots worked Jaquomo. You weren't eaten by a bear and are still around to type out snarky posts.

22-Jun-18
Is this really a discussion? Education goes a long way.

22-Jun-18
It's an annual thing. Might as well just get it over with. :-}

22-Jun-18
Get a bear tag!

Has worked well for about 30 years for me! They know to stay far, far away from me - at least in any unit that it’s good for:)

Maybe this year’s tags won’t smell as bad to the bears and I will finally get a chance to draw my bow back on one... With no sheep tag again this year, at least I might have a chance at #7 being a bear with my longbow...

22-Jun-18
I'm thinking similar although a bear tag has always been as good as bear spray for me. :)

22-Jun-18
Snarkiness is a valuable skill on internet forums. I wouldn't ever want to contribute something useful...

22-Jun-18
Thanks for all the replies. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't breaking any law. Being a non-resident the bear license is probably more than I'd want to spend. I had told my son that if time permits, the bark of the revolver will most likely scare a predator away. It barks pretty good with a 5 inch barrel that's ported and we reload, so its shooting heavy cast bullets loaded closer to the maximum charge. Theres a free shooting range next to one of my hunting spots, so I'm able to practice quite a bit. The revolver weighs just over 3 lbs, loaded.

22-Jun-18
Just be prepared for an ordeal if you shoot one without a license, even in perceived "self-defense".

23-Jun-18
Walked into a bear yesterday while hiking on an old fire road. He was at 4 paces when we surprised each other. No time to draw my weapon or use bear spray. Fortunately he ran. I was helpless if he had decided to do otherwise, gun or not. Thankfully it turned out well. In some situations luck is all you need!

25-Jun-18
"Snarkiness is a valuable skill on internet forums. I wouldn't ever want to contribute something useful..."

Finely-crafted snark Lou, as usual...

25-Jun-18
All snarkiness aside, if you do end up needing that pistol, as Jaquomo states, you’re gonna be in for an inquisition if you don’t have a tag.

You will probably want extremely good documentation about the entire situation and why you found it necessary to shoot the bear. A bluff charge at 10 yards or even 5 yards is not adequate. That bear better be a lot closer and bite marks may be required to prove it was serious enough. It all comes down to a judgement by the CO upon his investigation. You never know how something like that may fall.

Spend a lot of time with that pistol before you go so you are really comfortable shooting it and know it intimately. I wouldn’t count on the situation where a bear just happens to be standing in a trail looking at you and you fire a round to encourage him to scat out of there. You need to be comfortable enough with that weapon to recognize a threat that happens very fast and calls for a split second decision and action like a sow coming in hard out of nowhere when you bump into her cubs or stumbling into a bear on a kill in thick willows or in the worst case to shoot a bear that is attacking you or your son.

Best thing you can do is keep your wits about you and avoid the potential situation. You can do that really well with or without that extra 5 pounds getting in your way the whole time.

After hunting and fishing all over Colorado in the summers and falls for over 30 years, I can honestly say that I have never felt the least bit threatened by a bear or lion.

Carrying a pistol has only been to protect myself and those with me from issues associated with 2-legged vermin that are also very rare but many times more likely than the probability of needing it for any kind of wildlife.

25-Jun-18
I hate to comment on this, but bite marks may be required? That may be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Ever, pertaining to anything. It is all up to the responding game warden? That's a close second. Ever hear of due process?

26-Jun-18
After reading a few a bwallace's post, I have decided he needs a girlfriend. Cranky fella

26-Jun-18
Yup, heard all about it.

Basically, you better have damn good evidence that you were attacked by a bear when you make that decision to shoot.

Especially if you are in the woods with camo on and packing a pistol to shoot a bear with no license.

It comes down to the CO’s decision when he comes out to investigate and you then have to prove your innocence.

If he has any question, you get to explain it to the DA.

The DA builds their reputation by the number of guilty pleas they get (innocent verdicts court against them).

Then you get to stand in front of the judge to enter your guilty plea.

You better have some damn good evidence to back up your claim that you were attacked.

Just saying.

26-Jun-18
Ok it all makes sense now.

26-Jun-18
What Treeline lays out could make a guy consider just hiking back to camp, packing up, driving home and never telling a soul.

26-Jun-18
From a strict legal interpretation, you break the law if you shoot an animal out of season or without a tag.

When you make the call to CPW, you have just admitted guilt to the crime. It then comes down to a judgement from the investigator as to whether or not to write a citation and press charges.

You just have to hope that the responding CO is not in a bad mood for whatever reason or a bear lover or just doesn’t hate folks from Wisconsin.

Evidence to support your claim definitely helps your case.

27-Jun-18
One of the first things they drilled into us before pinning on the badge was to "Never put the DA or the judge in a bad position. They trust you to make good decisions with citations and you trust them to have your back".

The word of a trusted, experienced WCO vs. a guy from Wisconsin who shot a bear because he pissed his pants? Better have a cell phone video or bite marks. Like it or not, that's how the wildlife legal system works.

• Sitka Gear