Wisconsin Traditional Archers State Shoot

August 4 & 5, 2018 - Sat. & Sun.

Janesville Bowmen Club, 5119 Fox Rd., Janesville

Novelty Shoot - Vendors - Camping - Broadhead Course

Friday Night Fish Fry - Saturday night Dinner

Men - Women - Youth - Recurve - Longbow

Who else is going?

21-Jun-18
I heard there having a Selfbow class this year too. Any truth to that?

21-Jun-18
anybody going to Horicon on July 7 ? I will make the state shoot also

22-Jun-18
May be a dumb question, but what constitutes a self bow? Does it need to be hand made by the shooter, or can you use any hand made bow that isn’t commercially sold?

22-Jun-18
To the best of my knowledge a self bow is a bow made out of one piece of wood.

I understand a self bow may have horn, metal, or plastic string nocks on the limb tips and a slightly built up leather wrapped handle section, but that's it as far as "add-ons" go. If natural backings such as sinew or snakeskin are added, they may bump the bow out of the self bow category,...not sure about this. Fiberglass or other synthetic laminations would certainly do so.

I do not believe the definition of a self bow or the classification of a bow as a self bow is dependent at all on whether or not the shooter made it or whether it was commercially sold. A bow can still be a self bow if someone other than the maker is shooting it or even if it was sold commercially.

That's the way I see it, but I admit there are those on this forum with far more expertise on this subject than I. I hope one of them will chime in with their comments.

22-Jun-18
Thanks, Bill. Appreciate the feedback. Makes sense.

22-Jun-18

GVS's embedded Photo
GVS's embedded Photo

22-Jun-18
I tried to post the flyer but I guess I failed. If anyone wants it let me know.

Karen and I will be there for sure.

22-Jun-18
I just found out a bunch of guys from MI are coming to this shoot plus others from MN,,, I am planning for the whole weekend, got a lot of stuff to sell,,,,,, Here is a hint,,,,, I have probably the finest left hand recurve with custom string for sale, under 300 and its a 41 pounder at 28..........

any gvs look me up, it will be a fun weekend

26-Jun-18
I now plan on leaving Friday pm, sleep overnight in my back pack tent, so I am set up for Saturday..... might make a whole weekend out of it,,,,,,, got a beautiful self bow for sale, never shot,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, cheap way to try that aspect of archery, it will be a good deal,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

26-Jun-18
does not seem like many here are going,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

26-Jun-18
I’ll be there

26-Jun-18
The shoot is still over a month away, as the date nears more will decide to attend.

27-Jun-18
I'll be in Rockford that weekend. I might try to get there Sunday afternoon.

30-Jun-18
I planning on attending the event. Al

30-Jun-18
hey Buck Jabber, why don't you come, I will even pay for a motel for you if needed, we can all shoot our long bows together

Hey Tweed forget Rockford, come to this, I will put you up,,,, come on man

01-Jul-18
"Not many going because they all moved to crossbows. " Yeah, lots of stickbow shooters jumped at the chance to use a crossbow.... LOL! What in the hell are you talking about?

01-Jul-18
"What are they carrying in the woods" Buckjabber does have a point with that question.

01-Jul-18
Jabber not sure about the shoots you go to but the ones that I have are probably 50% under 50 years old.

01-Jul-18
Why do you guys feed into his BS?

01-Jul-18
"Is traditional increasing or declining? There's your answer" Its my understanding that participation is increasing. ... But Im sure your right. The whole trad community is probably a bunch of closet crossbow hunters..... :>)

01-Jul-18
Groundhunter- you going to camp?

01-Jul-18
I don't know,,,, if you want to we can, send me a PM...... I have no idea of what they have for room down there,, have a great tent I would like to sell, if I get there on Friday and set up, I can show it off,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, your welcome to bunk up, have plenty of room

04-Jul-18
There will be a self bow category this year at the WTA state shoot. When the rules are finalized, I'll put them up or will direct a link for those who may be interested.

Wisconsin traditional archery is doing well, considering what is happening elsewhere in the hunting fraternity concerning membership groups. I was the membership director of the WTA until recently, and the numbers are holding steady, if not climbing a little. And no, we are not all old geezers. The WTA annual spring bowjam is heavily attended by younger people, and growing every year. Family participation is up also. Trad archery is fun, and the camaraderie is there. Pick up a stick and join in.

04-Jul-18
I don't own a compound, and will hang it all up when I can no longer shoot sticks. FYI...I carry a longbow into the woods.

Trad shoots ARE fun...they have a rendezvous feel to them. Folks are friendly and helpful, and most won't hesitate to let you try their gear. I'd advise anybody considering traditional archery to attend for those reasons.

I'm 65, grey...not blue haired...and have been shooting and hunting with recurves and longbows for decades. I just like em.

If you're curious, by all means...check it out. But a word of caution...it can get in your blood!

09-Jul-18
Anyone want to hook up and go to this shoot for one day, on Saturday? I am done going solo to these shoots, if they are too far away, send me a PM, if you are interested........ thanks in advance

11-Jul-18
Here is the information on the new self bow division from the shoot coordinator. Greg

The State Championship Shoot is fast approaching. It will be hosted by Janesville Bowmen on the weekend of August 4 & 5. Some of you may have heard that we have added a new selfbow division this year. The men and women will shoot together in the selfbow division and must shoot on Saturday to qualify for the 16 archer championship shoot on Sunday. For those not shooting selfbows we will continue to have men's and women's divisions just like we have had in the past. So, the selfbow archers will only be competing against other selfbow archers. Here are the rules for the selfbow division.

1. Bows should generally be considered a hunting set up without shooting aides.

2. No string walking or face walking and one finger must touch the nock.

3. Bow quivers and slings are not considered to be aides and are allowed.

4. Elevated rests are not allowed for selfbows, but continue to be allowed for all other bows.

5. Selfbow is defined as a one or two piece bow (joined at the handle) constructed from a single piece of wood without any performance enhancing backing, however ornamental backing like snake skin is allowed.

6. Arrow must be shot off the shelf or hand. No soft materials that will assist or affect the paradox of the arrow may be used to build up the shelf or strike plate of the riser, however floppy rests are allowed. Archers may use a hard material on the shelf or on the side of the riser under a hair or leather strip that does not exceed 1/8 inch.

7. Arrows must be of natural shaft materials such as wood or cane.

The WTA Board is hoping for good participation in the selfbow division. The WTA Board hopes these rules strike a middle of the road approach to the new division. However, we understand that some members may be unhappy with the first version of the rules. Please feel free to send or tell me your comments and I will share them with the Board as we conduct our review of the shoot.

See you at the shoot,

Mark Putra

11-Jul-18
Greg, you beat me to posting the new rules for the new WTA Self Bow category. I think we will see much interest in this category. Good luck to all that participate.

Self bow building and shooting is on the rise. At the Pope & Young Rendezvous, many non traditional shooters stopped by the WTA booth and asked questions about self bows. The thought of creating a bow from beginning to end from a local log, perhaps from property one may own, intrigues many. The annual WTA spring self bow jamboree, or Bowjam, grows every year. And many of the participants are young folks, in their teens and twenties. But it is hands on experience open for all. Check out the Wisconsin Traditional Archers website for further details on traditional shoots and events around the state.

11-Jul-18
Carbon comes mostly from coal deposits. Is that considered a natural shaft for arrows?

28-Jul-18
So who is going this weekend..... I will be going with Reggiezpop, anyone want to meet up and shoot with us?

04-Aug-18
I would personally want to thank the Janesville Bowmen for putting on this shoot. I attended today. The weather kept a lot of activity down like your aerial shoot, but thanks for putting on a good shoot, in all of the hot and humid weather. I appreciate your efforts,,,, and I cheated and had one brat, it was great......

The WTA did a nice job,, also of being cordial to new shooters, etc, and everyone on the course was courteous and had lots of fun. What is so cool, is all the young guys shooting, and lets us old codgers also join in.....

Again thanks so much, I had a great time

06-Aug-18
Nice seeing you there Mike.

Janesville Bowmen did a great job on everything. We really enjoyed all of the shots on all three ranges. The shoot off went well and all had fun there as well.

Thanks again.

06-Aug-18
The Janesville Bowmen did a great job. 60 targets over the two main courses and the 5 course tournament range. Plenty of shooting, the food was good too. Andy of Whitetail Arrows got more of my money with two new selfbows to setup. A fun weekend.

07-Aug-18
Andy makes a mean arrow! Worth every penny! I have purchased his products and find them second to none.

• Sitka Gear