Lil' minner 27-Jun-18
Swamp Buck 29-Jun-18
Paul@thefort 29-Jun-18
JohnMC 29-Jun-18
Swamp Buck 29-Jun-18
Paul@thefort 29-Jun-18
Ski & Skin 30-Jun-18
22-Jun-18
Hi. New to the forum and new to this unit. I'm wanting to hunt archery elk in unit 28 and was wondering if anybody could share any pointers on where to start scouting.

22-Jun-18
Start looking for high basins up to tree line without trails and then get out and figure out how to get in and out. Then look at places where private land limits access for several miles and does not have hiking trails and figure out how to get into the public land behind it. Good luck!

22-Jun-18
Be warned tho, 28 is the epicenter of beetle kill, some areas are like pick up sticks and very dangerous! Areas that are easy to get into are full of other hunters! Good luck, and don't get caught in the blow downs after dark!

22-Jun-18
Kieth x2

22-Jun-18
My son in law had a dead tree nearly fall on him in 28. Places I could hike through five years ago are impassable now and probably will be for another 20 years.

It's a magnet for non res bow and ml hunters and the down trees seem to concentrate them in easy access areas. Follow treeline's advice!

27-Jun-18
Thanks for the advice.

29-Jun-18
Be aware, it's on fire right now....

29-Jun-18
Fire in GMU 28? I do believe farther to the north near Grand Lake and that unit is 18

29-Jun-18
Paul nope

29-Jun-18

Swamp Buck's Link
Sugarloaf Fire

29-Jun-18
got it. thanks for the update.

30-Jun-18
The fires are just cleaning out the beatle kill.

• Sitka Gear