Pheasant hunting in ND?
North Dakota
Contributors to this thread:
Too Many Bows Bob 22-Jun-18
Z Barebow 25-Jun-18
No Mercy 10-Jul-18
rooster 14-Aug-19
22-Jun-18
Ok, I know that this is not strictly bowhunting, but I'm a bowhunter, seeking advice from other bowhunters whom I would trust more than somebody who is just trying to sell me something. In 2020 my wife and I are planning on touring North and South Dakota. We both want to see the country, we've never been there. After our days together, I would like to spend a few days pheasant hunting. I was wondering if anyone had a good recommendation for an outfitter as I won't be able to bring my dog.

Thanks,

Bob

25-Jun-18
I wish I could help you with recommendation. I do some pheasant hunting, but it is primarily on a relatives land. Before you pick an outfitter, I would wait until the year you want to hunt. The population in ND is greatly affected by harshness of winter. SW ND was statistically the best area to hunt in the state until the winter of 2016-17. I didn't hunt there this fall due to low numbers. As confirmation, I was turkey hunting there this spring and the numbers are still down. But keep in mind my perspective is skewed. When the hunting is good, it is really good. Limits in 2 hours or less. (Depending upon how I am shooting!) and that is w/o a dog.

Also keep in mind, ND trespass laws allow you to hunt private land if it is NOT legally posted. Additionally there is plenty of private land enrolled in the PLOTS program.

10-Jul-18

No Mercy's Link
Depends if you want to hunt truly wild birds or not. Most of the Eastern part of the state the outfitters release birds. Western ND they don't. Cannonball Company in SW ND is probably your best option.

14-Aug-19
I hunted the Wilton area north of Bismarck years back. As Z said above, it was legal to hunt non-posted land. We did just ok on pheasants. There were Sharp tail grouse as well. In South Dakota we hunted for years around the Wessington Springs area, way more birds there.

• Sitka Gear