tompolaris 26-Aug-18
Wild Bill 26-Aug-18
tobywon 27-Aug-18
tobywon 27-Aug-18
tompolaris 27-Aug-18
tobywon 27-Aug-18
Ace 07-Sep-18
24-Jun-18
I've noticed a ton of threads regarding bears and nuisance bears. Each time we hear a story, read an article or see something on the news, please post it here!!

24-Jun-18

Notme's Link
https://youtu.be/wEqVkJiYJ80

Not sure if this counts

24-Jun-18

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo
Here is a bear at my cousins house in Granby, CT.

25-Jun-18

Jerry Leblanc's embedded Photo
Jerry Leblanc's embedded Photo
My backyard last week.

25-Jun-18

Oneeye's embedded Photo
Oneeye's embedded Photo
Bear right near my house. About 10 ft from car. Could car less.

25-Jun-18

Oneeye's embedded Photo
Oneeye's embedded Photo
Refused to get out of road. Laid on horn bear very slowly walked to side of road. Pretty standard stuff these days. Sucks I bought a place with some woods for my kids and now they are scared to death to go into woods.

25-Jun-18

Oneeye's embedded Photo
Oneeye's embedded Photo
At least it's nice to see the turkeys with 20 pullets walking down road. Damn coyote magnets though.

26-Jun-18

billymac 's embedded Photo
Neighbors garbage can

27-Jun-18
What's it going to take before Ct Fish and Game ignores the Antis and has a limited bear season to manage the obvious increase in numbers ?

27-Jun-18

grizzlyadam's embedded Photo
My backyard. Yelling, banging pots and throwing rocks has no effect whatsoever. They come in and hang out when I'm grilling, they raid my garbage can, and they eat my chickens. Guess I shouldn't grill, or put my garbage outside, or have chickens. They have no fear and no reason to avoid humans. Just the opposite in fact.

These things are in peoples houses far more often than the reports we read, and they are being shot in peoples yards far more often than is reported. The problem is much larger than we are lead to believe and is growing exponentially. This state needs to establish a sensible regulated season to manage the population and give our resident bears a reason to avoid humans rather that seek out our dwellings for free handouts. The problem needs to be addressed with logical reasonable sound wildlife management practices that are proven, not friggin emotion. Unfortunately someone needs to be mauled or worse before the brainwashed emotion driven hate filled anti CT libtards pull their heads out of their a$$es and face reality.

27-Jun-18
Nah the states waiting until there are 15 bear per square mile..then they can tax you on having wildlife on youre property..then later so not to confuse anything they will charge a "luxury fee" on the fur and meat

27-Jun-18

Just found this in the yard, how fitting. Welcome to CT, heres some BS.

27-Jun-18
Another bear in a house in Salisbury on the news this morning. That's 3 in about a week

27-Jun-18

nehunter 's embedded Photo
nehunter 's embedded Photo
Just shot this one in New Brunswick. Saw 18 Bear's in 3 days.

27-Jun-18

BOBHUNT71's embedded Photo
BOBHUNT71's embedded Photo
Just had one in my front yard Monday at 11am didn't even shrug to the neighbors dog barking at it .

27-Jun-18
My neighbor took the picture and yelled at the bear to get him to leave . Lol I was in my backyard and just figured he was mad at his dog barking.

27-Jun-18
My neighbor took the picture and yelled at the bear to get him to leave . Lol I was in my backyard and just figured he was mad at his dog barking.

27-Jun-18

27-Jun-18
I wonder how many go unreported compared to reported or how many actualy get checked out

27-Jun-18
I pretty much stopped reporting. Many people I talk to don't bother. Nothing to see here. Move along.

27-Jun-18
We had a new young one show up last week and no one in my neighborhood called it in

28-Jun-18
Nice one NE!!!

28-Jun-18
if you don't mind add the town it's in.

28-Jun-18
Mine was in Wolcott off Todd Rd.

28-Jun-18
Windsor locks

28-Jun-18
Bantam

28-Jun-18
NE, another nice bear. Way to go Jeremiah Johnson

28-Jun-18
I'm done till September. Time for golf and Cape Cod time.

28-Jun-18

Paul's embedded Photo
Paul's embedded Photo
Tonight in heartland

29-Jun-18
NBC news this morning had yet another bear report in Barkhamsted, not surprising for that area. DEEP stated there are over 800 resident bears and the population is expanding by 10% YOY.

29-Jun-18
Fox 61 news....bear in woodbridge.. lady recorded a large black bear roaming in her back yard.

29-Jun-18
Pretty sure I recall reading somewhere about how the state monitors populations partly based on resident complaints/sightings. For example, something like "nuisance complaints were up 24% in Avon last year compared to the one prior". I'm sure they take into account that a lot of sightings go unreported, but I say if you see one you should report it to the DEEP. If you see 3, tell them 3 times. Its an easy way to give them a better idea of population #s and is also a step in the right direction towards eventually having a hunting season once the state can show the impact bears are having and that we have a sustainable population of them in the state.

05-Jul-18

Bantam Ct

06-Jul-18

Bantam

07-Jul-18

Rackem's embedded Photo
Rackem's embedded Photo

07-Jul-18

Rackem's embedded Photo
Rackem's embedded Photo
Coyote pups

07-Jul-18

Eric Vaillancourt's embedded Photo
Eric Vaillancourt's embedded Photo
Barkhamsted. I put an electric fence around the garbage to keep him out.

08-Jul-18
My friend had 3 notedly different bears in his yard in West Granby & 7-6 thru 7-7, One was tagged the other two were not, amazing part is there are a pair of German Shepherds living there too and the bears could care less. Even an outside kennel. Pictures were sent to my cell phone ( iPhone 5) and I don't know how to attach, sorry. I was told they have walked 10 ft, past people on the deck carefree. He said nobody feeds them and never has. Great potential for a huge problem.

08-Jul-18

BIGERN's embedded Photo
BIGERN's embedded Photo
Bushy hill rd , Simsbury this am. Sow or boar?

08-Jul-18

BIGERN's embedded Photo
BIGERN's embedded Photo
Bushy hill rd , Simsbury this am. Sow or boar?

08-Jul-18
Yes, either a sow or boar, you're correct. :) So last Wed we had a deer in our back yard and then a bear walked through our next door neighbor's yard, saw the deer but not the bear.

08-Jul-18
Looks like a Boar.

09-Jul-18

Richm444's embedded Photo
Richm444's embedded Photo
my yard today

09-Jul-18

Sgt. York's embedded Photo
Two tagger. Left ear tag show on other pics
Two tagger. Left ear tag show on other pics
Two in Harwinton, private bordering public. One looks like a two tagger. The other is probably the one I have pics of last year.

09-Jul-18

The other one...

23-Jul-18
Put me down for one approx.200 lb with no tags in East Granby yesterday

23-Jul-18
I was at a funeral in Avon last week and someone said they saw a sow and cub in the church parking lot earlier that morning. Apparently they were Lutheran...

24-Jul-18
Is it the new plan of Connecticut politicians? As people move out of the state due to regulations and taxes it will make room for the bears? Who will complete the CT tax forms for the bears?

24-Jul-18

Notme's Link
https://youtu.be/zcSlcNfThUA

Maybe this guy..he sounds qualified

25-Jul-18
Ouch that hurt

26-Jul-18
Just reported my 3rd this month. This one was in a neighborhood in East Granby near the Farmington river.

27-Jul-18

Rackem's embedded Photo
Rackem's embedded Photo
This guy took down my in laws bird feeders.

27-Jul-18

Rackem's embedded Photo
Rackem's embedded Photo

27-Jul-18
Tiny Tim sounds just like the Dems and liberal press, or scratching nails across the blackboard!! CT needs to get rid of Murphy and the Dick! We need to get the politicians out of politics! Where's my wine? What did I just type? Gotta call Notme and ask his advice. Crap!! I'm in trouble.

27-Jul-18
Oh no ... what a bear of a problem ... time to go underground

28-Jul-18
Hey Hey now give our political elite a break they know better than us!! Nancy Wyman took control 2 seasons back and with a tie breaking vote said no bear season. And why???? Because there were no issues yet. Way to go !!! Now that leading. Think that's her name. :>)

28-Jul-18

Notme's Link
Ya wymans here name..i found an early clip of her, i think shes the one in the green..lol

https://youtu.be/6KSiyaqnZYs

28-Jul-18

SixLomaz's Link
I think she is the one center stage in this video clip, younger and ambitious, not much of a speaker back then but training hard for the days ahead. Watch the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOr17Le44Bc .

31-Jul-18
So I'm watching the Boston news while sitting in our cottage at lake sebago and a report comes on about a bear breaking through a window in a Bloomfield CT home ransacking the pantry. Let Nancy know

06-Aug-18

Ace's Link

“I was awake, but I heard something, and I looked up and he was there,” said the woman on the 911 call.

When officers arrived the bear was still in the kitchen, but it left the house shortly after. Officers shot one round at the bear who kept walking away into the woods, according to police.

Police then tracked the untagged bear into the woods, but could not find it. Officials with the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection said they plan to set a trap near the woman's house.

This is the fourth bear to enter a home in Canton in the last week, according to police and the D.E.E.P. People in Canton are used to seeing black bears on their property, but the bears' bold behavior of breaking into homes is concerning to them.

“I’m just kind of nervous now, just knowing how close it is,” said Bog Zacharski, who lives next door to where this happened.

The D.E.E.P. has been warning homeowners and state leaders about the rising bear population and the need to control it. State biologists have recommended starting a regulated hunting season, but a bill proposing the idea failed during the last two legislative sessions.

“Our bear population is growing perhaps 10-15% a year, it’s spreading across the state. They’re becoming abundant in both rural and suburban areas and right now the only recourse to check that population, we feel, is a regulated hunting season,” said Paul Rego, a wildlife biologist for the D.E.E.P.

The woman was not injured in the incident.

If you encounter a black bear in or outside of your home, state biologists recommend you make loud noises and waive your arms to scare the bear away.

06-Aug-18
Soooooo would that be waving your arms in a defensive posture or flayling your arms in a death throw?

06-Aug-18
Today fox 61 news a bear "break in"

07-Aug-18
In the past month there have been 3 bear break ins in Canton alone.. on the news

07-Aug-18
Notme, or like a gay Richard Simmons, shoo bear shoo.

08-Aug-18
If a bear entered my house and I shot it, could they bust me for shooting it? Almost sounds stupid to ask but---- welcome to Ct.

08-Aug-18
TFB????? I know what WB means, but TFB? Thanks For Bob?

09-Aug-18

Notme's Link
https://www.wtnh.com/news/animals-and-wildlife/deep-releases-list-of-black-bear-sightings-in-connecticut/1354550920

10-Aug-18
Just called in #4 within a month. East Granby

10-Aug-18

tompolaris's embedded Photo
tompolaris's embedded Photo

11-Aug-18
Tom, you could practice your quartering away shot on that one.

11-Aug-18
Notme - I suspect the DEEP released the info to the news in order to drum up awareness before sponsoring another bear hunting bill this session. Unfortunately, all they have to go by is # of sightings that actually get reported to the DEEP. One wonders how many sightings go unreported for every one that does. 10X ? 20x?

11-Aug-18
I emailed DEEP asking for the rule change of carrying of a firearm while bow hunting.

I'm sick of worrying about walking in the dark without a sidearm.

I've run a few Cubs up trees before daylight.

This rule just doesn't make sense to me.

11-Aug-18
Ne, I have to agree 100 percent! I started deer hunting in Maine and I was told to get a side arm the first time out. Now CT is in the same boat.

12-Aug-18
Vermont changed that rule 4-5 years ago claimed it wasn't fair that hikers could carry but bowhunters couldn't. ----- HELLO CONNECTICUT ???

12-Aug-18
Saw on the news today that a lady had a mountain lion in her house!!! NOT in CT though,.....at least I don't think it was? ;) My daughter also showed me a video from her friend that lives in Farmington of a very large bobcat in her yard. He acted like he owned the property.

12-Aug-18

Notme's Link
Swk, thats why one should wear full body armor any time they enter the bush

https://youtu.be/7YFC0O393DQ

13-Aug-18
I thought the hand gun was supposed to be used to shoot yourself while the bear is charging you in the dark?? ;) Right now the only thing you can carry is a roll of toilet paper to clean up the mess.

13-Aug-18
If I am not mistaken, DEEP has essentially made it illegal to carry a sidearm on state land at any time, whether you are bow-hunting or not.

I think the convoluted logic is that carrying a loaded firearm in the woods is prima-facie evidence of hunting. So if you are caught with sidearm on public land you will be cited for illegal hunting. Also since handgun hunting is always illegal on public land (except .22 maybe?), even if there is a season open, and you are licensed hunter, you are still hunting illegally according DEEP if you have a sidearm.

As far as I know there is no state law preventing permit holders from carrying a sidearm on public land for personal protection, it is just DEEP over reaching on purely hunting regulation enforcement. If I am incorrect on this, someone let me know.

13-Aug-18
A bear tried to get into a package store in Bristol today

13-Aug-18
look up the video on NBC, a guy walked within 8 feet of the bear in the foyer. The package store is in a large shopping plaza. Very Busy...

13-Aug-18
Answer this question; If you are illegal coming out of the woods after legal hours it is because you have a round in your gun or an arrow nocked. -- If you hunt using a quad and your handgun is with the quad for protection and have your bow without a nocked arrow are you then legal returning home from the hunt?

14-Aug-18
I asked a similar question to the DEEP years ago. They didn't have an answer and said try it and see what happens. No thanks

22-Aug-18
My wife called me in a total freak out panic that a huge bear was up on our deck! It knocked over the flower pots and climbed over the gate 3 times before jumping down. I hope I have him on my camera out back. Too close for comfort in Vernon.

23-Aug-18

Tall 1's embedded Photo
Tall 1's embedded Photo
He walked in front of the camera on the way to the house. Got his back.

24-Aug-18
Saw one at the Beardsley Zoo the other day, they're getting really close now!! :o

24-Aug-18

Garbanzo's Link
Antis having an effect in New Jersey. Gov. banned bear hunting on public land

24-Aug-18

Brendan412's embedded Photo
In Sherman, CT - Started seeing them after I added some sugar beet crush to my corn pile/feeder (Zone 11). Never saw them last year on cam, but then again I didn't start baiting my woods last year till mid October. No more baiting for now...and my buddy smacked the big male with a non-lethal slug when he was over last night; bears were back this morning however.

From what I can tell, I have one very large male, 2-3 juveniles/females, and two cubs. I'm hoping once they finish off the corn/beet pile they'll go away, especially if I hit a few of them with some more rubber slugs.

24-Aug-18

Image 2

24-Aug-18
That thing is huge

24-Aug-18
I got chased or maybe just charged this morning. I was carrying a side arm and pulled it out of my holster. The Bear didn't want to leave and after screaming loud it just kept pacing back and forth and chopping his teeth. The landowner heard his dogs barking and running around his yard 1/2 hour before this happened. I actually got some on video because if I had to shoot I wanted to be in the clear. Time for law change.

24-Aug-18

nehunter 's Link
Not a good video. But you need evidence to protect yourself if you do shoot one in self defense.

25-Aug-18
Steve; Just curious, what size sidearm do you carry? This bear conundrum is getting ready to explode. I wish the government elected officials would stop thinking they are smarter than the D E E P and leave it in the hands of those that know better.

25-Aug-18
I carry a Kahr PM9. Small and they are made in Worcester Ma.

25-Aug-18
My woods gun is a Shield 40 with FMJ for penetration.

25-Aug-18
You want to carry a 44 mag or 454 Casull for bear. Ruger Alaskan 2 1/2 snub nose is a good choice.

26-Aug-18
Mark, your are right, some include a 10mm too?? I'm saving up now to get one when the state wakes up and changes the law! Sure it will be soon :>(

26-Aug-18
.357 will give you the best penetration and be easier to execute a follow-up shot, of course, not if you are bow hunting.

With a permit, I can carry a sidearm in Pennsylvania, but not in my home state while bow hunting, just crazy.

27-Aug-18

27-Aug-18

tobywon's embedded Photo
tobywon's embedded Photo
Nice one the other day, tried to get him to turn for a better photo, but he didn't care.

27-Aug-18
Paul That's a good size one, what town was the pic taken?

27-Aug-18
Hi Tom in New Milford

07-Sep-18

Ace's Link
Boar climbs a tree and pulls down, kills and eats a cub.

Cute and Cuddly indeed!

• Sitka Gear