JayD 11-Oct-18
JayD 11-Oct-18
Jim Casto Jr 27-Jan-19
JayD 27-Jan-19
Babysaph 27-Jan-19
Babysaph 28-Jan-19
25-Jun-18

JayD's Link
This is the first I have heard about the road killed deer here in Berkeley!

26-Jun-18
What is the criteria for doing this in a specific county? I killed one with CWD several years ago and took it to a DNR guy and they checked it. That was in Pendleton County. And there are deer with CWD in all WV counties.

26-Jun-18
Why don't they just ban feeding and food plots in all counties. If it works in selected counties why wouldn't it help the spread of CWD statewide?

26-Jun-18
Ban Baiting i can see that , and should be done in all counties But food plots ? What going to do ban farmers from planting crops like corn and soy beans , they are just bigger food plots.

26-Jun-18
They are bigger food plots but what your saying is there is no way to get rid of it because deer congregate around food plots as well. We all know that the gubment isn't going to do anything that will hurt the farmer but if CWD is spread like they say it is a losing battle. I saw 28 deer last night in a 60 acre soybean field and they were all congregate within 50 yards of each other. Not like they were spread all over the field. So It is a never ending battle. Just something we have to live with.

26-Jun-18
JR, are u sure it was CWD? I’m not aware of a case of CWD found in Pendleton county.

26-Jun-18
I know some would disagreed I think baiting is a much bigger problem due to it being confined to such a small area. i would like to see a state wide ban on baiting whitetail

26-Jun-18
Yes it was. It was tested.

26-Jun-18
Yes it was. It was tested.

26-Jun-18
You are right Hoppie. Baiting is worse. I would think that baiting in one county would be the same as another. Our deer over here in the Eastern Panhandle is smart but I doubt they ate smart enought to tell the boundary lines from counties to county.

26-Jun-18
Wonder if the ban on baiting would hurt any farmers?

26-Jun-18
JR, the DNR doesn’t have Pendleton as a county where it has been found

27-Jun-18
That is just what they have found. You guys really believe those deer just stay in the counties where they were found? In fact that was the thinking the last several years. Now they are finding them in Berkeley county. How do they find them? You think they don't go from county to county? I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I will bet they will be found in other counties. Anyone want to take that bet?

27-Jun-18
And Berkeley county wasn't on the list last year either. I would think it would be better to try to prevent the spread because in my opinion it will spread. kinda like people get the flu shot when they don't have the flu. Kind of prevents it. But this is JMO. I would say we could go a long way to reduce it by now allowing baiting. I don't think we can bait in Jefferson county but I am not sure. I also don't think I have heard of any cases of CWD here in Jefferson county either. Unless that hasn't been made public.

27-Jun-18
Not allowing baiting I meant.

11-Oct-18
Nothing on tv I really wanted to watch and I found and listen to this. Makes me feel better about my food plots, fruit trees and mock scrapes now.

https://youtu.be/XnrfVcWKygU

11-Oct-18

JayD's Link

27-Jan-19
This was just posted on the LeatherWall--thought it was interesting.

"Received this (see below) press release from the Unified Sportsmen of Pennsylvania and thought it might be of interest to those following this thread on CWD ............................................

After decades of intensive research, Dr. Frank Bastian at LSU has discovered the real cause of CWD. It is a minute bacterium called Spiroplasma. While for decades the mainstream theory has described a malformed protein (called a prion) as the cause with no known cure for CWD, Dr. Bastian has discovered that the prion is only a secondary vector that results from the bacterial action of the primary cause of CWD – the tiny bacterium. The prion is a bacterial by-product.

This breakthrough discovery is a game-changer, in that it is now possible to develop a vaccine – an antibiotic – to prevent and cure CWD. Unified’s current funding initiative toward raising $100,000 in each of three years will permit Dr. Bastian to approach the disease is three steps. First, within possibly a year he will develop a diagnostic hunter test kit that will permit hunters to immediately test their harvested deer or elk for CWD infection in the field at the point of harvest. Considering that the incubation period of the disease in deer is very long at 12-18 months, such a test kit is vital in determining whether your deer is disease free and safe for human consumption. Stages two and three involve development of a vaccine for captive deer (possibly the only way to prevent the collapse of the deer farming industry), and a vaccine to be administered to wild deer and elk.

Dr. Bastian’s discovery and USP’s CWD Project may well represent one of America’s most important conservation and human health achievements. Our effort is historic, and Unified’s many partners including Allegheny County Sportsmen’s League, Sinnemahoning Sportsmen’s Association, Pennsylvania State Camps Association, Eastern Pennsylvania Firearms Coalition, Firearms Owners Against Crime, and other groups and individuals are joining the force. The on-going threat to deer and elk in Pennsylvania is a catastrophe in the making, and we risk the loss of cervids (including deer, elk, and moose) throughout North America if CWD is not immediately addressed -- with real remedial measures.

The pending impact to the natural ecosystem -- the removal of our dominant herbivores -- is incalculable. The impact to society -- to tourism and recreation, to our tradition of sport hunting, and to the Second Amendment if sport hunting is destroyed -- will be staggering. The economic impact felt in Pennsylvania will be measured in the tens-of-billions-of-dollars, and across America in the many trillions-of-dollars. As catastrophic as are these CWD impacts, things will get worse -- much worse. Dr. Bastian has discovered this CWD bacterium in domestic sheep and cattle (Mad Cow Disease), and CWD-related diseases have appeared in other wild animals including mink, camels, and big cats -- placing lions and tigers in the cross-hairs. This is not likely the end of the list of animals that are at risk and, if not now contained, the bacterium could spell disaster to worldwide natural ecosystems.

Now let's throw gasoline on the fire -- humans may be at risk. Scientists have found that some species of monkeys, our close primate relatives, are susceptible to CWD. Dr. Bastian has discovered this bacterium in association with other similar neurological diseases in sheep and cattle (Mad Cow Disease) as well as Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (CJD) in humans, and he believes there is a linkage with Alzheimer's Disease. From this CWD Project, Dr. Bastian’s research discoveries will open the door toward pursuing cures for these and possibly other neurological (TSE) human diseases.

Dr. Bastian is leading the way into this revolutionary research, and USP has joined with him in assisting his research by pilot-testing his diagnostic test kits and vaccines in Pennsylvania before distribution throughout America. We are on the vanguard of solving the CWD scourge and protecting human health. Pennsylvania will be recognized as the national leader in eradicating this horrific bacterial disease that, as bad as it now is, has not even begun to rear its ugly head."

27-Jan-19
Thanks Jim

27-Jan-19
So is it safe to eat deer? Thanks for the info Jim.

28-Jan-19
"such a test kit is vital in determining whether your deer is disease free and safe for human consumption". Wow. that sure is different from what we have been told. I have been eating venison after being told it would not hurt humans. Maybe that is why I can not remember anything. Doesn't look like I will be eating it anymore. Call me a trophy hunter now.

• Sitka Gear