Will 28-Jun-18
Belchertown Bowman 29-Jun-18
GED 05-Jul-18
hickstick 05-Jul-18
Will 05-Jul-18
hickstick 05-Jul-18
Bubbag 07-Jul-18
26-Jun-18
Has anybody heard any news lately on the Crossbow law, as far as making it legal for the public, ? besides being it being just for a medical reason ..last I remember , were topics on it... and then havn't heard anything since.

26-Jun-18

26-Jun-18
its probably because there is no word yet on it. I check the ma laws website frequently and the last I saw anything about it was it passed the Senate, and was going to "ways and means" commitee... It also seems to be a bill that's getting added into a wildlife laws (package deal) with other agenda pending. I would be very surprised if it makes it thru for this season. 2019 season a much better chance, they are reluctant to institute new laws this late in the year for whatever reason, unless it involves taking gun rights away, that they will push thru overnight. Disclaimer, The average 5th grader knows more about bills becoming law than I ever will, or choose to, so dont quote me on this post...

26-Jun-18
Ok..Thanks buddy...I had heard multiple stories ...just checking and very much appreciated...Have a great evening

26-Jun-18
I don’t think anything can change for 2018 because they already have the rule book printed up. Also would include the archery-opens-earlier thing. But of course, I could be wrong.

27-Jun-18
we can pass legal pot because all the libs love that but any law to help out sportsman will never happen.....this state is going down hill

27-Jun-18
I could have sworn that it passed but was waiting final approval of DFW board or something? I feel like I remember seeing that and deciding I'd just have to get used to sharing the woods...

The legal pot thing I dont get. Since I like science, it's hard to validate it's use. Subjectively people clearly love the stuff, but objectively, other than get high it doesnt do much. The extract may have legs for a few things, but even that, the research on it is not overly good. (always cracks me up when proponents of legalization suggest a giant conspiracy by big pharma to block legalization... Um, no. If the billion dollar drug industry could validate selling the stuff in any form (ie, they prove it works to do something) it would have been legal already!)

I'm fine with decriminalization or whatever it's called right now, the small fine for a small amount or whatever. I dont even mind if folks use responsibly. And I've had dying friends tell me it was the best thing for the bone pain they had from metastatic cancer. But full on legalization I just dont get.

Sorry, soap box issue for this centrist.

27-Jun-18
Funny,.. my conservative friends smoke it too,..

Sorta like drinking,... I dont think it follows a political party,..

27-Jun-18
leagalization gives them the right to research kids with seizures will benefit i think

27-Jun-18
Nada Lunker. There is a smidge of legit (IE, well done, blinded, cross over studies with good statistical analysis) showing the extract MAY (read, low statistical power) help in some areas. That's one. The other is pain. Drives me crazy when I see "social media vids or meme's" on this, cherry picking soso to poor data and making it sound like week would cure cancer etc. Just untrue. Overall, other uses are either so individual that they dont translate on a medicinal basis (IE, to much individual variance to actually have medicinal value at the population scale) placebo or psychological. Those last two have legit value... But is that value better than using other stress reduction methods? I dont believe anyone has done a good study to compare say meditation and mindfulness practice, both of which have tons of quality science to do the same things and many more - it's also free, and no one is going to sell you mindfulness laced with something worse.

I'm not totally anti pot, nor against an adult using it IN THEIR HOUSE if that's what they want to do. And I know some people believe it's vital to pain management or other issues they have. Heck, a hugely important person in my life smoked probably 2x day.

That said, I do feel like if someone cant have a good time sober (without chemical augmentation like alcohol or drugs), that should be a question to consider.

27-Jun-18
Jrdeerslayer we are well down the hill at this point......

28-Jun-18
What happened to all the concern about second hand smoke? Suddenly when it comes to dope, it's a non issue.

28-Jun-18
I am so cheap ... I like second-hand smoke!

The argument ; of what you have a right to do with your body/brain... Hmmm.

Whereas I agree with you Will, I don't think it matters why people want to do what they do, or if they do it, providing there is a line that separates them from others unwilling. It does matter what people do and how that affects others but there will never be enough laws to cover the new forms of stupid.

Clearly, there is already a protection of bad parenting / irrational thinking / rude behavior, on many levels ... it happens. I believe the best a "free society" can hope for is an influence, from standards of dignity and respect for others which seems to be very malleable when one has no guideline to go by. Hence the need for the Holy book. ( those guiding principles) Or some such manual. It provides the fundamentals of behavior that influence people towards the good.

28-Jun-18
A straightforward question about crossbows leads to the legalization of pot. Big pharma conspiracies. Societal behavior and the holy book. If nothing else the massbowsite is never boring. Certainly diverse and interesting. Gotta love it.

Tekoa

28-Jun-18
Speaking of which, this quote from Jdrslayer has me chuckling.

""but any law to help out sportsman will never happen.....this state is going down hill""

Didn't they just change the laws to expand bow season for you guys out east,..

28-Jun-18
Good point BB. Assuming it was done "to be helpful" and not for some other reason.

28-Jun-18
Tekoa. If there were ever Moderators on bowsite, outside Pat (the owner)... Say a mod for every state... I'd vote for you. You can, in a helpful way, keep us, well me for sure, in line. I appreciate it. (I'm serious here, I really appreciate it!)

Back to xbows...

I searched the mdfw site and couldnt find any details... Where are you all looking?

29-Jun-18
When I get older and have trouble hunting with a bow,.. assuming I don't kick over with a heart attack first,.. I plan on applying for an Xbow permit.

Been looking them over passively,. but boy the nice ones are pricey,.. better start saving now! LMAO

05-Jul-18
Bring in the XBows. That will increase hunter participation and help keep hunting available to more people more of the year.

05-Jul-18
Will...my argument for legalization was more for the decriminalization aspect. makes no sense filling up our prisons with pot growers/dealers/smokers when there are many other folks who should be in there permanently (rather than our corrupt judges letting loose violent criminals)....I could care less if it has benefits....it can't be much worse than alcohol.

05-Jul-18
That's a good point for sure Hick. I do find it funny that people will kill weed and act as though alcohol is a non issue.

Pretty similar categories.

My bigger fear, is that people use, without respect for others, leading to hurting other folks. For example, in the last 6 months, the number of car's going past me while out on bike rides, or parked in local SF lots doing nothing but smooking weed, has gone from "rare" to multiple every time I'm out. Maybe they were doing it in the past, but hid it better? Feels though, like people said: "Cool, lets have at it"... Add to that an at least perceived view that weed is less of an issue than alcohol on control/performance and that's a challenge for me.

I globally agree with your point, I just wish that as a state we could have looked at the legal system end of it, vs the user end, first. Probably a pipe dream (I just realized that sounds like a fantastic pun), but that would have been my wish.

05-Jul-18
oh I totally hear you on that....about a year ago...in one week I saw 2 different drivers on 128 driving 60mph while full on smoking a bong...one hand on a lighter, the other holding the carb, and knee on the steering wheel. more than pissed me off

07-Jul-18
I'm guessing the crossbow thing isn't gonna pass... I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing either...

I think deer numbers are too low in much of the state.. if it were injected then I don't feel it should be in all zones... only those that are overpopulated.

• Sitka Gear