PushCoArcher 20-Aug-18
Babbling Bob 01-Sep-18
newfi1946moose 02-Sep-18
J. h2os 18-Sep-18
JLeMieux 23-Sep-18
Okiebowdoc 28-Sep-18
Okiebowdoc 28-Sep-18
27-Jun-18
Where did you grow up/or from? Where do you currently live? What region/area of the state have you hunted? What region do you currently hunt?

I am from the Purcell/Norman/OKC area. I currently live in Broken Arrow. I have bow hunted out west (black kettle), private in Caddo cty, lake thunderbird SP land and SE Oklahoma. Currently hunt in SE Ok (Pittsburg cty) primarily...

Curious to where you all are from... feel free to add to the questions or omit.

27-Jun-18
Well I spent the first 7 year's in Germany (dad was in the army) until my parents moved back to their home town Rattan Oklahoma. I consider Rattan my home I grew up their my parents still live there and my wife and I have a house north of there. Unfortunately due to work I spend about half my time at my home in Push county and the other half at a apartment I rent in Midwestcity. It's not ideal but the job market in SE Oklahoma is limited. I grew up hunting and fishing SE Oklahoma and still do most of my hunting in Push, McCurtain, and Choctaw county's I also do a little hunting in Pott and Lincoln County's. I've deer and turkey hunted in the NW part of the state, Antelope and deer in the panhandle, and I dove hunt in the SW corner every year. I scouted thunderbird a little but have never actually hunted it maybe one day. I'll add that currently I've been bitten by the "western hunting" bug I went on my first elk hunt in 2016 did a antelope hunt last year and have a CO elk hunt and WY antelope hunt planned for this fall.

27-Jun-18
Rattan... I have some family that live on the Little River ranch just north of there. Between Cloudy and Hochatown.

28-Jun-18
I grew up in a little town called (Locust Grove) NE, Okla. I lived in Broken Arrow for a little over 20 years but now live in OKC. My family all still live in or around Locust Grove. I have hunted all around eastern Oklahoma, Mayes, Cherokee and Craig counties growing up and still do some since I still have a place on Lake Ft. Gibson. I have hunted a lot other places around Oklahoma and other states as well. I have always just pretty much bow hunted (longbow) most of my life with a little (Flintlock) black powder thrown in from time to time.

28-Jun-18
I grew up in McCurtain county and still call it home. I hunt mainly McCurtain push and Leflore counties as I have leases in all 3. Have hunted all over Oklahoma for every species just about. Did live in mcalester for couple years but then moved back to "southeast ok" for good. I also love to hunt out west and have tags in nm and Colorado this fall. I hunt a lot of different species by a lot of different methods from recurve to 300 rum.

28-Jun-18
Born in OKC and grew up in Newcastle. College at SWOSU, OSU and OCU before moving to Colorado. Spent most of the last 25 years in/around Colorado Springs. Recently moved back to Tuttle to be closer to the folks and help out as they get older. Currently hunt Hughes and Okfuskee counties on a friend's property. Prefer bow but have no objection to getting out the 7mm mag especially for hogs. Have private land access in SW CO for elk so plan a trip every year with this year being the first as a non-resident and the tag costs HURT.....bad! Would be up to meeting some folks for a cold beverage around the OKC area if any interest.

28-Jun-18
I was born in the Tx. Panhandle and moved to Dewey county in 1960, I have lived in Woodward area since 1963. Have hunted several places in the state. I Bow hunt and Bowfish mainly now.

28-Jun-18
Born and raised in South Dakota. Mostly grew up in Sturgis, and still call it "home" even though I haven't lived there for almost 30 years. Live in Sand Springs now. Mostly hunt public and a small patch of private in the NE oklahoma area. Have hunted McAlester 6 times or so I believe. Obviously have hunted South Dakota, both eastern and western side of the state. I do try and make a trip to CO every year to hunt elk. This year will be my 6th year and 5th of the last 6. Still 0'fer though, but have had a lot of opportunities. Would like to get to western ok this year to hunt some of the WMA's out there...archery.

29-Jun-18
Embry I know right where your talking about I live off the cloudy road in between Rattan and Cloudy.

29-Jun-18
Born and raised in Sand Springs area,still live on Keystone Lake where we operate The Nocking Point.Have hunted all over Osage County and hunted Cimmarron County.Do most of my hunting now in Pittsburg County about 7 miles from the ammunition plant.

29-Jun-18
Ive got a little lease of tram trail nw of cloudy road. Up by medicine springs

29-Jun-18
Ive got a little lease of tram trail nw of cloudy road. Up by medicine springs

30-Jun-18
It's a small world. If you run into any Gilmore's, they're probably kin to me. Notably, Mike Gilmore. He builds wood furniture and such while living there 6 months out of the year.

02-Jul-18
Lived in Sequoyah county my whole life. Hunted primarily private land for 25 years. I Have switched to almost exclusively public now. Really enjoy the challenge. Also have been bowhunting out west for Elk for the last 15 years. Colorado mainly.

02-Jul-18
Rick, 14 responses and now 15. Does that make it "viral"? :) Guess not much to talk about in July!

03-Jul-18
Hah! You know the Oklahoma forum is always slow. We need to start a thread about crossbows or mechanical broadheads... or baiting? lol

03-Jul-18
Born in California. Dad got transferred to Zebco in Tulsa when I was 2. Worked at my dads archery shop in Tulsa until he retired in 1994. Then moved on to other things. Currently live in Broken Arrow. Hunt northeast Oklahoma & have hunted Southeast Oklahoma a lot.

Darrall Dougherty

03-Jul-18
Born in Tulsa, currently stuck here lol

05-Jul-18
My parents are from Wilson, OK (down by Ardmore). Dad got a job working for the gov't in BattleCreek, MI which is where I was born. I about died as an infant and doc said move to a warmer climate. Dad got a job with Amoco Production Company in Tulsa and we moved back home. That was in 1966 and I've lived in Tulsa ever since except for 1980-83 when we lived in Slidell, LA (Dad got transferred to Amoco's New Orleans office in spring '83 and then back to Tulsa in fall of 1983). Graduated Tulsa Memorial in '85, got BBA from OU in 1989 and been working of different oil and gas companies in Tulsa since 1990. Lived in Bixby since 1993. I've been on a lease about 5+ miles south and east of Bixby for the past 11 yrs. Went to Colorado on guided elk hunt in 2000 (got a shot, missed!) and Antelope hunted at Spearhead Ranch in Wyoming twice (killed antelope both times) and want to go back.

08-Jul-18
Well I spent most of my childhood in the claremore area, Foyil, to be exact. I bowhunt private land around the blue creek and Spencer creek area on oologah lake. Once the orange army hits the woods I start in on the second waterfowl season

17-Jul-18
I grew up in Coweta, spent the late '70s, early '80s learning to hunt in Cherokee/Gruber. I've hunted the same private riverbottom land in Wagoner Co. for the last 25 yrs. I live in Bixby currently.

17-Jul-18
Born and raised in Sulphur, and still there!

Have hunted all over south central OK, and a little bit in the eastern part of the state around coalgate/Atoka on my in-laws place.

18-Jul-18
Shiloh... I used to hunt a few miles North of Mill Creek. Man that place had a bunch of turkeys!

18-Jul-18
Live in Sulphur, LA. But have hunted my buddy's property in Atoka for the past 5 years or so. Absolutely love it. Coming from SW Louisiana, I never knew deer hunting could be so enjoyable. We don't have near the deer population on this side of the state as OK. Geaux Tigers!!!

25-Jul-18
There are a lot of bull frogs in mill creek also...

25-Jul-18
Lived in the Tulsa area my whole life. Currently in Owasso. I really don't hunt too much in OK anymore. Seem to spend most of my hunting budget (time and money) hunting everywhere else. I love the adventure aspect of those hunts. I have hunted 4 foreign countries and 2 other states this year, and several hunts planned this fall.

My family does own a little bit of hunting property north central (Noble Co) and have hunted several other areas of OK, just enjoy the other stuff so much now its hard to find the time.

--Jim

26-Jul-18

26-Jul-18
I grew up in Jones, Ok. Currently living in Edmond. I've had a couple of different handles here on bowsite over the years. I mostly hunt Lake Arcadia because it's close to home but my parents have 160 acres in Luther. Had a couple great places to hunt in Stroud and Chandler as a kid. I don't really have just one eye but was born with a weak eye so a guy at work will call me oneeye if I see something incorrectly. I sometimes keep it closed when I go hunting just to make things just a bit more fair for the deer and turkey.

26-Jul-18
Hey stinkbait, we both graduated from OU the same year with the same degree. small world. My emphasis was Management.

26-Jul-18
Mayes and Rogers county most of my life. I've bow hunted AR, CA, MO more than any, S & N Carolina, WI, MI, TX and of course Ok and was hunting the McAAP when they had No-Shows and there the day that Allred or Hodges stopped it Starry was there in his Velvet hat at the time. Started out and still have my 1967 Bear Kodiak Hunt and Herter's Redwing. Now I have recurves, compounds and don't hate me "Crossbows". I love my Oklahoma hunting in Mayes County. Long post I just couldn't do a short one.

26-Jul-18
From Collinsville. Still there.

06-Aug-18
Just south of Stillwater now. I spent a few years in Poteau. I hunt public land from Pushmataha to Leflore to Kaw and west to Woodward.

06-Aug-18
Have always been in Coweta. Started out hunting Cherokee/Gruber area. Also have hunted in Nowata, Craig, Hughes,Mayes and Haskell counties. For the past 10 years have only hunted in Wagoner county on a small private property were I was raised. Wish there had been deer there when I was growing up.

07-Aug-18
old timer from Anadarko

07-Aug-18
Grew up in S. OKC. Hunted a great place in the Fort Cobb Lake area for 20 + years. Lost that when a great friend passed away 4 years ago. I hunt a lot of Corp land around Lake Texoma these days . Been fishing there over 45 years. Gene

08-Aug-18
Grew up in Skiatook Oklahoma, moved to Western Australia for 7 years, now living in Preston Oklahoma. Hunted mostly NE and NW Oklahoma.

13-Aug-18
Grew up in Sand Springs, lived in Sapulpa for the last 15.

13-Aug-18

19-Aug-18
I was Born and raised in Tulsa, although Broken Arrow was my home for many years, I now call Coweta home. Yet my roots run deep in the Kiamichi Mtns. Both of my parents hailed from Push co. I started my deer hunting adventure in the Potato Hills. at the age of 13. I eventually found success in Northern McCurtain co. at the foot of Botukalo Mtn. In the 48 years since I have harvested bucks all across SE Oklahoma, I've seen the sunrise and set around exotic places like Clayton, Albion, Ludlow, Octavia, Cloudy, Honobia and Smithville. I've had my pride bruised in places called "Harris Creek" near Little River and Nonchito. I could have been paralyzed or worse from a fall in Push WMA., yet my Lord deemed it otherwise. I've been fortunate to harvest deer in many of our states counties. McCurtain in the S.E, Ottawa in the N.E. to Harmon and Greer in the S.W. even Alfalfa co. in the N.W has given up one of its own. Kansas is a place close to my heart, over the years a few bucks have been claimed from there, sadly only one has been worth bragging about. It's the ones that have scarred my ego that takes me back there from time to time. The Sunflower state has caused me many a sleepless night. I still have nightmares of what could have been. I live to deer hunt, I love to bow hunt, a firearm isn't a stranger in my hands either. These days I have a nice lease to hunt in the game rich counties of S.W. Oklahoma. Where deer, turkeys, dove and Diamondbacks are plentiful. It has taken me nearly 50 years to luck on to such a place. However, my heart will always flutter a bit when I get a whiff of a pine sap in the air. Sometimes when thinking back on my long career as a deer hunter, I close my eyes, I swear I can hear those familiar breezes as it rushes through those tall pines. On those long ago cool November mornings, there was no greater sound, unless it was the subtle oncoming crunch of leaves.

20-Aug-18
AFTERMERLE...ur speaking my language! I could almost smell those McCurtain county timberlands as I read.

20-Aug-18
Southern Leflore, Northern McCurtain and Eastern Push doesn't get much better than that. With all my galivanting around down there, I've never seen Big Foot either.

20-Aug-18
Pine sap pumps through my veins! If their is a better place to hunt in Oklahoma I haven't found it.

01-Sep-18
Born and raised in OKC and was members of both the Oklahoma City Archery Association from 1962 to 1966 (now the Trosper Park range and club) and was a founding member of the Lake Hefner Archery Club in the early sixties. Lake Hefner's field range is no longer below the dam but it was there in 1970 when I was out of the Navy. Shot with a 2-D group across the road from the Hefner range in the early seventies and some of that group had deer camps in several of the public hunting areas to include Gruber and down south by Lake Murray. Back then farmers would let you on their property for the asking, and we had no problem going swamp rabbit hunting down by String Town or deer hunting around Atoka. Farmers want lots of money to be on their property now.

First hunted at Camp Gruber in 1962 and there were only a few there in the allotted camping areas over a weekend. In 1964, a friend, Larry Ball, and I camped at Camp Gruber for over a week in archery season and saw only one other person that week. Ate beans and greens and drove there in my '57 Ford, which was almost a new car compared to my friend's (Larry Ball) 1952 Chevy. Larry became the President of the Oklahoma Longbowmen before he had arthritis so bad he had to quit shooting. He passed on.

Last lived in Stillwater from 2009 to 2014 working for five years in the Horticulture Dept at OSU in Stillwater and shot some of the trad events, to include Trosper's February trad event and several Southern Plains shoots in McAlester. Have a rack of eight recurves now and live in the Adirondacks in the summer and West Palm area in the winter. Go home several times a year now to check on the old folks (brothers) and eat some good beef and BBQ, and still have a lifetime OK hunting and fishing license, so I can go crappie meat fishing or catfishing with my brother or maybe even deer hunt. Will be going home someday to the Forty Four (cemetery) north of Bristow. Okies are the best folks there are...bar none.

02-Sep-18
Born in the St. Lawrence River Valley and spent 65 years there at the edge of the Adirondacks. My father's father ran a deer camp in the mountains all his life and a few of his grandsons learned the mechanics of shooting running bucks on old-fashioned deer drives. Since moving to OK 8 years ago, I have enjoyed watching my daughter's family take some nice bucks just a few hundred yards from my house. The grandkids have taken their first bucks w/my daughter and its enjoyable to see. Have not hunted here except for turkey. Have made 6 trips to NL for moose in those past 8 years. Last trip will be in 2019 God willing.

18-Sep-18
Born in Pawnee Ok. still live here. Hunt the arkansa river bottoms, and drive down to Push. jeff

23-Sep-18
Born and raised in Louisiana and live here now. I spent my first 6 years of the military stationed in Altus. Bought my first bow there and fell in love with archery. I've been hunting KS the last few years but plan on hunting OK again starting next year. It will be public land at first probably, but hope to eventually find a good lease. OK will always hold a special place with me.

28-Sep-18
Well I was raised in western ok. spent 13 yrs in OKC working as a bow doc and shot a lot of 3D and some indoor may have set up some of you with a bow at some point miss all the good people I meet there over the years . Moved back out west about 10 yrs ago still bow hunt only out here and in Kan. some . Hope all have a great and safe season !!

28-Sep-18

• Sitka Gear