xi 13-Jul-18
Murphy31 14-Jul-18
SloMo 14-Jul-18
spike78 14-Jul-18
greatwhite 14-Jul-18
greatwhite 14-Jul-18
Proline 14-Jul-18
27-Jun-18
Just got a text from a friend of mine that said. It’s official Hunting starts 2 weeks early this year !!!!

27-Jun-18
Hope not. Kill to many as it is.

27-Jun-18
Can anyone find this info. I will know more and post tomorrow when I talk to him and put up the link. Hope it’s true. According to my source it was seen on Facebook there was a pic of the pages from the meeting posted

27-Jun-18
I would rather have 2 extra weeks of bowseason to put the deer into hiding before the orange army invaded the woods. I am a warm weather hunter and really don’t like sitting in a tree when is 8 degrees out. Would much rather sit in the tree with a T-shirt in than all bulked up and cold

27-Jun-18
I heard it from 2 other sources!

27-Jun-18
I am with Dth on this. Can't stand the low temperatures, snows and wind chills of a latter season. Rather start bowhunting 2 weeks early thank you.

28-Jun-18
Someone on Boston Bowhunter Group on FB posted last night an email response he received from Susan at DFW yesterday as a reply to his inquiry. I did not want to post last night until someone else could verify it. I will provide it below. Since I cannot attach the PDF file of regulation amendments he received and was nice enough to provide to me, I will also copy and paste that below. *Looks Official to me - Zones 10-14 start Oct 1st - 8th Monday before Thanksgiving * . See the second sentence in "a."

Good afternoon,

To follow up on inquiries you have made to MassWildlife’s Field Headquarters in the recent past, I am writing to inform you that the two-week Archery Deer season extension regulation amendment was filed with the Massachusetts Secretary of State’s Office today. It will be promulgated on July 13, 2018, and will be effective immediately, so it will be in effect during the 2018 deer hunting season. I have attached the text of the final regulation, for your information.

Thank you again for your interest in MassWildlife,

Susan

PDF Content:

321 CMR 3.02(4) Hunting and Tagging of Deer

(b) Open Season. The open season shall be in five periods as follows: 1. Beginning the last Monday in October and ending the following Saturday, any three days of which may be selected by the Director, there shall be a special season for paraplegics exclusively, who may hunt deer by means of a shotgun not larger than ten gauge, including shotguns with a rifled bore, by means of a muzzle-loading firearm, fired from the shoulder, .44 to .775 caliber, or by means of a bow and arrow. Such hunting shall be limited to those specified areas designated by the Director. During this special season, nothing shall prevent the otherwise lawful hunting of birds and mammals in accordance with established statutes and regulations.

a. In zones 1-9, beginning on the sixth Monday prior to Thanksgiving and ending on the first Saturday after Thanksgiving, all days inclusive, there shall be a special season for archers exclusively and during this period deer may be hunted only by means of a bow and arrow. In zones 10-14, beginning on the eighth Monday prior to Thanksgiving and ending on the first Saturday after Thanksgiving, all days inclusive, except on the tribal lands of the Wampanoag Tribe of Gay Head in the Town of Aquinnah in Dukes County, there shall be a special season for archers exclusively and during this period deer may be hunted only by means of a bow and arrow.

b. Beginning on the third Monday prior to the firstMondayinNovember and ending on the last day of the primitive firearms season as specified in 321 CMR3.02(4)(b)4., all days inclusive, and only on the tribal lands of the Wampanoag Tribe of GayHead in the town of Aquinnah in Dukes County, there shall be a special season for archers. During this period, deer may be hunted only by means of a bow and arrow, provided that during the shotgun deer season for Zone 13 as provided for in 321 CMR 3.02(4)(b)3., and during the primitive firearms season as provided for in 321 CMR 3.02(4)(b)4., deer may also be hunted with such firearms as are specified for those seasons.

2. Beginning the first Monday after Thanksgiving and ending the second Saturday thereafter, all days inclusive except Sunday, deer may be hunted throughout Massachusetts by means of a shotgun not larger than ten gauge, including shotguns with a rifled bore, by means of a muzzle-loading firearm, fired from the shoulder, .44 to .775 caliber, or by means of a bow and arrow.

3. The primitive firearms period of the open season is intended to provide an opportunity to hunt deer in a manner similar to the way our forefathers hunted in the mid-1800's. The primary consideration is to limit the weapons to a type similar to those in common use during that period of history. Basically, that means a single shot, muzzle-loading firearm with limited range and firepower. Secondarily, the hunter participating in this season should have a relative degree of solitude significantly different from the hunting pressure which is characteristic of the shotgun deer season.

Beginning the third Monday after Thanksgiving and ending on December 31st, all days inclusive, deer may be hunted only by means of a primitive firearm using a single lead projectile, or by means of a bow and arrow. Black powder (or synthetic substances such as "pyrodex" which are approved for competitive muzzle-loading meets by the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association) is the only powder to be used during this season. Primitive firearms may have smooth or rifled bores and shall not contain more than one usable barrel. In the case of primitive firearms with double bore barrels, one barrel shall be made inoperative by removal of the nipple and hammer. The caliber of a primitive firearm shall be not less than .44 nor more than .775 and only those primitive firearms having a barrel length of 18 inches or longer shall be permitted. A person shall not, except during the paraplegic, Youth Deer Hunt and shotgun deer seasons, have in his or her possession a shotgun shell loaded with a rifled slug, single ball, buckshot of any size, BB shot or air rifle shot in any place where birds or mammals might be found, except on a skeet, trap or target range between sunrise and sunset, and except for the hunting of waterfowl, or coyote as provided in 321 CMR 2.03. During the primitive firearm season, nothing in 321 CMR 3.02(4) shall prevent the otherwise lawful hunting of birds and mammals in accordance with established statutes and regulations.

5. On the fourth Saturday following Labor Day, which shall be the day of the Youth Deer Hunt, minors 12 through 17 years of age who have been issued a Youth Deer Hunt Permit by the Director may hunt for deer by means of a shotgun, not larger than ten gauge, including shotguns with a rifled bore, by means of a muzzle-loading firearm, fired from the shoulder, .44 to .775 caliber, or by means of a bow and arrow. A Youth Deer Hunt Permit must be obtained by the hunter allowing for the harvest of one deer, valid only on the day of the Youth Deer Hunt, for either, an antlered deer in any Wildlife Management Zone or an antlerless deer in the wildlife management Zone(s) as specified by the Director in the Permit. All minors 12 through 14 years of age taking part in the Youth Deer Hunt are not be required to possess a hunting license or sporting license but shall possess aYouth Deer Hunt Permit, and be accompanied by a duly licensed adult as required by M.G.L. c. 131, § 14. All minors 15 through 17 years of age taking part in the Youth Deer Hunt shall possess both a Massachusetts hunting or sporting license, and a Youth Deer Hunt Permit. All minors, and the adults who accompany said minors during the Youth Deer Hunt, shall comply with all applicable law and regulations of the Division, including the provisions of M.G.L. c. 131, §§ 14, 71, and 72 and 321 CMR 3.02(4). During the Youth Deer Hunt, it is prohibited to hunt deer in an area where baiting has occurred up to ten days prior to the Youth Deer Hunt season. Nothing in 321CMR 3.02(4) shall preclude the otherwise lawful hunting of birds and mammals in accordance with the applicable law and regulations of the Division during the Youth Deer Hunt season.

28-Jun-18
Wow. That sure kills my “already printed the rule book” argument.

28-Jun-18
Jeb the routinely make changes to saltwater fishing regulations late in season after they have been printed too.

28-Jun-18
and BTW, yes I am excited about it. Someone, please do not share the PDf with the deer. You know how they seem to disappear on opening day, well this year you have an edge lol

28-Jun-18
Like the warmth, don’t like the mosquitoes. Most of all like the leaves, helps to stay out of the prying eye of those who would interfere with my lawful taking of game. Or interfere with my futile attempts.

28-Jun-18
""Or interfere with my futile attempts.""

I can identify with that! LOL

28-Jun-18
Does anyone else notice that for archery and Muzzleloader it say ALL DAYS INCLUSIVE yet for the shotgun portion it says ALL DAYS INCLUSIVE EXCEPT SUNDAY?!?!?!?!? does that mean archery and ML are sunday hunting now too...a guy can dream right

28-Jun-18
Awesome!!

28-Jun-18
Shawn in ma, I think you're right buddy!!

28-Jun-18
That Sunday thing is pretty important,.. someone call or something?

Nice eyes there Shawn!

28-Jun-18
freekin the Hardy Boys, ShawninMA how did that slip by me. I know, probably because I was too excited about the early season start. Hmmmmm .....

28-Jun-18
That is a game changer for us slobs who have to work all the time (like me)

28-Jun-18
Wow. Two extra weeks plus Sundays? That would be fantastic, but also probably the end of my marriage.

28-Jun-18
Check out MGL131 Section 57, I think that might nix the Sunday thing. Love to be wrong, though.

28-Jun-18
Well perfect excuse,.. print it out and hunt on Sunday if ya get caught pull out the print out and play dumb,.. It says right here officer:

"" In zones 1-9, beginning on the sixth Monday prior to Thanksgiving and ending on the first Saturday after Thanksgiving, all days inclusive, there shall be a special season for archers exclusively and during this period deer may be hunted only by means of a bow and arrow ""

My guess is it was an error and will be corrected shortly,.. someone will add except on Sundays soon. LOL

28-Jun-18
Great news guys- I am pumped. This is a game changer for me- really looking forward to it!

28-Jun-18
No Sunday Hunting. Heard from someone who was at the meeting. Doesn’t mean it can’t be changed though

28-Jun-18
Mass.gov says all days inclusive for both archery and primitive. If its wrong they best hurry up and change it.

28-Jun-18
So no change for us pathetic souls in western MA.

28-Jun-18
Good news.

28-Jun-18
From what I understood it is statewide early archery season !!! No Sunday Hunting as of yet

28-Jun-18
Wait, DFA, are you saying that they went from the proposed inside 495~ belt to the whole state? IE, I could go deer hunting in Stockbridge 2 weeks early?

28-Jun-18
zone 10-14 earlly

28-Jun-18
Id like to believe that all of us license holders will get an email from the state explaining it in plain language kind of like we get with changes to saltwater fish regulations but we will see. or at least put it first and foremost when you log onto mass hunt web site.

28-Jun-18
I would love to trade 2 weeks earlier in Oct for the last 2 weeks in Dec here in zones 1-4. Leave our deer yards alone.

28-Jun-18
I wonder how much this will upset non-archery people. It skews the overall timeframe still more toward archery. Interesting.

28-Jun-18
Xi I’m all for that.

28-Jun-18
Xi you are on to something. Ill sign the papers for that shift for sure. Wait, I dont want to lose time in November... So Ill take that if we can archery hunt longer and take time away from boom stick and cloud maker seasons. (I know that sounds bad...) Apparently, I'm a greedy bow hunter :)

29-Jun-18
Now all we need is the setback reduced for archery!

13-Jul-18

mrw's embedded Photo
mrw's embedded Photo
Here is the official release. https://www.mass.gov/service-details/deer-hunting-regulations

13-Jul-18
okay...so who'd hosting the early season hunt in zones 10-14 for us 'out-of-towners' lol

13-Jul-18
6 deer per square mile goal? Wow

13-Jul-18
yup Spike...thats been the official "carrying capacity" for years. even though west of Worcester county the carrying capacity should be well over that!

I'd say where I am east of worcester 6 is about right...but makes for some tough hunting

13-Jul-18
Woohoo, got the email.

13-Jul-18
ALLELUIA!

13-Jul-18
bullshit....should of gone statewide and adjusted anterless tags accordingly.

13-Jul-18
×2 Deerslayer, not so much on permits but on end of season to protect deer yards. Personally think guys would shoot a buck earlier and let a doe walk later. Not all but some would.

14-Jul-18
Is there really that much deer out there. Looking at a sight that tells the number of deer harvested per sq mile. Zone 11 is 2.4 and zone 10 is 2.8. Doesnt really seem that crazy.

14-Jul-18
Awesome. I got a notification also. Sweet for a Z 10 hunter like me .

14-Jul-18
They just figure that their is so much unhuntable land that the idea is to wipe out the huntable land and spread the deer out.

14-Jul-18
western Mass gets walked on once again...

14-Jul-18
western Mass gets walked on once again...

14-Jul-18
I voted against I without lowering tags. Sux. Once crossbows are legal all the worse.

• Sitka Gear