Pop-r 03-Jul-18
Longshot349 03-Jul-18
Ski & Skin 04-Jul-18
lineman21 06-Jul-18
LaGriz 09-Jul-18
Brun 09-Jul-18
Longshot349 09-Jul-18
28-Jun-18
After 20 yrs and 20 PP points I have drawn a 2nd season elk in unit 61. I have traveled through the area a couple times, but never hunted it. I have one week of vacation to spare for scouting, probably in late summer or early fall. I'm from Missouri, so with travel time that will only leave me about 3-4 days to scout. I have my topo maps already and I can bring and ATV or a horse for my hunt. My question here is; Have any of you hunted 61 and would provide some starting places to look? I realize people don't give up honey holes, but this is basically a once in a lifetime tag, so it's not like any of us will be going back. So, do you like the north or south end best or the BLM lower ground and so forth. If you don't wanna post here publicly, you can email me at [email protected]

Thanks much.

28-Jun-18
Never hunted 61 but I'm thinking you should do your scouting in the week immediately before your season begins. It would eliminate 1 round trip saving you about 4 days of driving allowing more time in the field. It would also get you the most current information on where the elk are this year and give you a chance to talk to season 1 hunters who are on their hunt of a lifetime. I imagine if you helped a couple season 1 guys pack out their elk or invite them to a nice camp meal they could get pretty helpful.

28-Jun-18
Aspen, Good advice. But I had actually factored in that week before season already. But maybe I'll come a few days earlier and just make all work in one trip. But I'd still like to hear from some folks with boots on the ground in the past. Thanks.

29-Jun-18
Sent Pm with help

02-Jul-18
Good luck would be the first thing I'd say! If it were my points/tag I'd turn it back in! CO has failed miserably here imo! I spent two weeks there last fall. Very discouraging! 2 CO's in the unit told me they'd see 3 300" bulls each a year! Dead or alive! I figrd you could find a 300" bull in the unit in an afternoon outing! I was badly mistaken! Many otc units in CO better than 61 & that's no joke!

02-Jul-18
And it's not all the state of CO's fault altho it probably is mostly. The Forest Service has allowed this area to be so overgrazed by cattle that it is a complete disaster for the game! It's the biggest mismanagement by "educated" people I've ever seen!

02-Jul-18
After seein pop-r reply I’d figure out the latest date you can turn your tag back in and make a SERIOUS scouting trip right before that date and see what you find.

02-Jul-18
Pop-r, here's what's confusing about all this... I've had people say exactly what you're saying about it, and, I've had equally as many say it's the best elk hunt you'll ever go on. Yes, some rough country, but multiple bulls and loads of 6x6's... What the heck is up with these conflicting reports????? I don't know what to make of it?

02-Jul-18
Number one 61 is NOT rough country! It's some of the easier hunting CO has to offer on the Western slope from my experience. There are elk there & I can tell you right where to go to kill one but it's NOT an impressive unit to me! There are NOT 6x6's running around everywhere like I assumed! The CO's were NOT lieing to me I don't believe. It's a "mythical" thing with 61! But it's a joke! I haven't looked at the success stats this year but the CO's told me they were going to be way off the usual for 17'.

02-Jul-18
IF you could possibly gain some private access low you might be able to do better. I would imagine that the top is loaded with elk right now but when they cut them cattle in there (IF they haven't already) then they'll be headed back down shortly thereafter. It's seriously a major aspect of that hunt! (Cattle)

02-Jul-18
Popr, I appreciate your take on it. But it does conflict with what others are telling me privately... Here's what one guy wrote about a 2016 1st rifle hunt, quote; "I've hunted elk at least 30 years and this was the best elk hunt I've ever been on. We saw on average 10 bulls a day with many 6x6's... 340 bulls are rare, but 300 bulls are easy to find and you'll have trouble sorting through them all to find the best one. Be patient... It's a blast to hunt there and I wish I could do it all over again." unquote So, Pop'r, you see why I'm confused? By the way, I did go dig up the 2017 harvest results and they are not outstanding, but not all that bad either.... In 61 for all seasons the success was 47% with bulls about half of that number.... The rifle seasons all averaged from 48% to 54% which is well above most areas and 3 times the statewide average.

Pop-r, is it possible you just hit a bad year or had horrible luck? By the way, I agree cattle are an issue in federal lands. I'm not anti-farming at all. I own and farm cattle, but I bought and paid for my own land. Federal grazing should be half what it is or not at all imo...

For those of you out there reading all this that's been to unit 61 in recent years, what's your take on it? I'd sure like to hear from more people... Thanks.

02-Jul-18
Check your PMs

03-Jul-18
I hunted it for archery about 5 or 6 years ago. Had a blast. No, 6x6 bulls aren't behind every tree but there was plenty of elk and it was a lot of fun. May have changed or maybe rifle is different. I have heard more negative 61 stories the last few years but still plenty of positive ones. In your position as a NR with 20, 61 would have been my suggestion. Lots of cattle but it didnt seem to push the elk out of our spot. They did screw up a couple encounters. They were a bit wild and sometimes spooked which in turn spooked the elk. I would be pretty confident at getting an opportunity at a bull if something 290+ would do the trick. No idea where the elk are during rifle but if its like our hunt, they were spread all over the unit.

03-Jul-18
Many thanks to all that have shared their experiences in 61. If any others read this thread feel free to reply, as I'll check in throughout the summer and fall. And, I'll certainly pass along info on how my hunt goes so other folks can make good decisions in the future.

03-Jul-18
It's still elk hunting, I drew archery 61 last year and turned it in because I didn't think I could dedicate the time to it that I wanted. Stats slipped slightly last year for whatever reason (down across the board looks like about 3-6 percent). That wouldn't and doesn't concern me. If anything, just means maybe a few more made it through for this year!

03-Jul-18
PM sent.

03-Jul-18
I don't want to discourage you at all sir. What I'm telling you is the truth & the statement the CO's made tells it all. They see 3 300" bulls a year each! Dead and alive!! Come on man! I can show you a 300" bull in about 2 hrs in an OTC unit & I've YET to see one in 61! I did see about 200 head on a ranch with probably about 35 bulls going off & I believe the biggest to be in the 280's. I saw numerous 5 pts (on public) but if smbdy can help you find numerous 6 pt. bulls in 2nd rifle on public land in 61 it'd be worth ALOT of money! It ain't happening! Call them CO's is my best advice at this point. Quiz them.

03-Jul-18
Get back with us on it! I bet ya anything they say "this unit is managed to be a quality elk hunt, not a trophy elk hunt." Js...like I say it wouldn't be terrible if not for the cattle. You may not see a cow because they pull them first rifle, or were in 17'. You will see their sign tho! Lol. If you keep the tag the best I can tell you is pray for the monsoon season to kick in so them cattle (1,000's) can't devour the mountain so well & a few of them will hang in some of the better drainages.

03-Jul-18

03-Jul-18
I appreciate the info Pop-r. I may not see a dadgum elk, but I'm still glad to be out of the non resident Pref point game anyways. :)

04-Jul-18
Lol, elk move bulls move and hide. 2nd season past the rut, hiding from 1st season bang sticks. The big boys are hiding! Could be the same unit or one next door or where you can't see them!

06-Jul-18
I picked up that same tag in 2016 in the reissue. I saw 32 bulls in 2 days and took a 310” the 2nd evening of my hunt. I hinted with someone very familiar with the unit so that obviously helped out a lot. Out of respect for him I won’t give up his spots. He was an amazing glasser and picked out many bulls I would have never found. My best advice to you would be get off the very top and glass, glass, glass and then glass some more. Then glass a bit more...lol.

09-Jul-18

LaGriz's embedded Photo
LaGriz's embedded Photo
Longshot349, I hunted in Unit 61 in 2012. Point creep convinced me to burn 17 NR points for an archery tag, because it looked like I would never draw with the muzzy or a rifle. Was unsuccessful but did see a good number of elk and two fine bulls. If you wish to PM me I might be able to help you with a starting point. Also can hook you up with a packer's contact info. Congrats on drawing the tag! LaGriz

09-Jul-18
I helped a friend with an archery tag in 2016. We had a great hunt and encountered multiple bulls on almost every hunt. I saw many 6x6s between 280 and 320 and a couple of larger. We also heard many other bulls that we never laid eyes on. There may be a big difference between Sept. and the second rifle season, so I don't feel qualified to comment on that, but I would archery hunt there in a heartbeat if I had the chance. Good luck with whatever you end up deciding.

09-Jul-18
Thanks to all your gentlemen for the info and advice. Hopefully it will help from wasting time in the wrong places. I will certainly give this hunt my best and return the help in the future to anyone I can. (sent you a message LaGriz). Thanks

• Sitka Gear