Missouribreaks 05-Jul-18
RutnStrut 05-Jul-18
CaptMike 05-Jul-18
RUGER1022 05-Jul-18
albino 21-Jul-18
buckmaster69 22-Jul-18
Live2hunt 23-Jul-18
01-Jul-18
Watching a New Hampshire game warden show. The warden asked a bow hunter if he had his name on his arrows. Shocked me but then I started thinking not really a bad idea. Do other states require it? What are your opinions if Wisconsin should do it?

01-Jul-18
What would be the logic in it?

01-Jul-18
agree, isn't there enough regulation in our lives,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

01-Jul-18
Just another reason for a warden to stop and question us. I might understand it if there was some sound, logical basis for it.

01-Jul-18
Several states have that requirement. I'm not sure what the logic behind it is.

01-Jul-18
Reason?? So if the arrow is found to be used in a crime or game violation they know who to go see.

Many years ago I hunted a farmer's land for a few years. He found his daughter's horse dead with an arrow in it. He kicked everyone off.....I don't blame him.

01-Jul-18
What's going to stop someone from putting your name on the arrow they use to violate with? If they get caught with it they can say they found it and were going to return it,...and the stories and problems with this could go on & on & on &on..... seriously, it might cause more problems than it solves.

01-Jul-18
So buck watcher you think people that are going to do a crime or a game violation are going to make sure they have there name on there arrows? Sounds like another ridiculous thing that the people that do the right thing will have to remember to do with all the changing regulations.

01-Jul-18
I didn't say it any made sense. Just why it is done.

01-Jul-18
Same logic as trap tags.

01-Jul-18
Gotcha

01-Jul-18
I think its a bad idea. Anybody can write somebodys name of their arrow and commit a crime. The DNR customer number would be a better indentification number that others would have a harder time putting on their arrows. I still think the DNR customer number is a bad idea, what if someone finds one of your arrows, he can then commit a crime.

01-Jul-18
Names on arrows USED to be done in Target and Field Archery years ago, just so the right arrows got back to the right Archer. Probably nobody worried about any illicit use of their arrows by others, or by themselves...

01-Jul-18
Harry Carry - Yep, that practice of writing your name on your arrows used to be quite common back in the day. About a month ago a fellow came over with a selection of old archery tackle he was trying to sell for the girlfriend of his deceased best buddy. All of the tackle dated from 1965 or earlier. There were a number of very uncommon and special items there but one especially caught my eye. It was a plastic fletched, 26" barreled shaft, flight arrow with the name Roy Luhman written between the fletching. Flight shooting was very big in WI back in the 1930-1950 time period and this is a special arrow because because Roy Luhman was the first President of the WI Bowhunters Assoc. in 1941. I did get the arrow from the fellow and I will be placing it in the WI Bowhunting Museum at our next board meeting. It is a good historical artifact.

02-Jul-18
Case-didn't bow shops put "codes" on arrows by means of stripes? They would keep each customer's code on file for ID?

02-Jul-18
Tweed - the only thing I have ever heard about something like this was that in the 1940s and into the 1950s, some bowhunters would crest their arrows down the shaft very near to the broadhead. The reason was to i.d. the owner of a deer if two fellows were both claiming a single wounded deer, if they both were using the same broadhead, and if the shaft was broken off inside the deer then ownership could be settled by the crest. In the days when bowhunters congregated closely in selected areas at one time (i.e., Necedah Refuge, opening weekend) disputes over ownership of wounded deer sometimes arose. This small crest near the broadhead was one aid in possibly settling ownership.

I will say though Tweed, I have never heard of any bow shop "coding" arrows with cresting patterns or colors. Who knows though, perhaps it was done.

02-Jul-18
Back when cresting was common many stores would have a certain crest pattern for each customer.

02-Jul-18
Interesting . I still have 2 arrows from the late 60's that I shot tourneys with . They have 3 black dots & 1 circle for ID's . Hunting arrows were never I D 'ed .

02-Jul-18
Since I switched to compound & carbons, I'll write the date & description of each kill on the arrow. Trying to see how many deer I can kill with the same arrow.

Up to ONE so far :/

03-Jul-18
About 20 years ago my college room mate, about 10 years after we graduated, told me California has such a law. You label your arrows if you hunt state (and I also think federal) land.

04-Jul-18
WI does not need anything remotely similar to CA! Just the fact CA requires this should be enough to stop it from happening in WI.

04-Jul-18
I've put numbers on my shafts but never my name. Casekiska tell us again how to order a copy of your book.

04-Jul-18
The title of the book is: THE HISTORY OF WISCONSIN BOWHUNTING.

The book is available from the WI Bowhunters Assoc. Call the WBH office at (715) 823-4670. Jean, the office manager, can arrange to get a book your way. Checks or CC accepted.

Or, contact The Footed Shaft in MN, 3Rivers Archery in IN, the Trading Post in Arena, or All Seasons Archery Place in Beaver Dam.

05-Jul-18
Not a good idea at all.

05-Jul-18
Not sure what good it does, but will do no harm.

05-Jul-18
Only on crossbow bolts if the season doesn't get reduced;)

05-Jul-18
Rut, then it would be handy to have a short name like “Jake!”

05-Jul-18
Bought about 100 wood arrows from the 60's & 70's today. 8 of them have what seems be to be the last 6 of a S S # .

21-Jul-18
I have found numerous arrows with names on them in Colorado on the Uncompradrae dang I forgot how to spell it. Anyway there was a patch of Aspin trees close to the road & the road hunters (which was very common back then)would shoot at deer there quite often. There were many arrows stuck in trees & a good number had names on them. I always wondered what would happen if someone put one through a range cow. I don't know if they were fresh but I found arrows there on two different years.

22-Jul-18
Wisconsin does not need anymore great ideas.

23-Jul-18
Case's book is a great book. All bowhunters should read it, and all crossgunners should read it to find out how they even have the opportunity to hunt with one of those things.

• Sitka Gear