Huntosolo 17-Jul-18
ColoBull 17-Jul-18
ColoBull 17-Jul-18
Huntosolo 18-Jul-18
Huntosolo 29-Jul-18
02-Jul-18

fawn's embedded Photo
fawn's embedded Photo
Here's a view of the fire clouds (pyrocumulus) that were being produced Sunday (July 1). This was taken from the west side of Buffalo Peaks looking east. The fire at that time was pushing 6000 acres with Hwy 285 closed between Fairplay and Antero Junction.

02-Jul-18

fawn's embedded Photo
fawn's embedded Photo
The fire map as of July 2, 6400+ acres.

02-Jul-18

fawn's embedded Photo
fawn's embedded Photo
An arial photo of the fire from southwest of Buena Vista.

07-Jul-18
Thanks fawn for the pics, i think its doubled?

07-Jul-18
It's just over 13,000 acres and entered the Wilderness area. That brought about the closure of the area. It looks like the last two days they habe gotten a handle on it. No smoke visible over here in BV. The afternoon flyover looked pretty good with just a few areas active. I'm optimistic that in a couple days they will be completely on top of it. But it is still bone dry despite a couple rains. Unless we get some good, week long soaking rains, things aren't going to get better.

09-Jul-18
Rained hard in Breck yesterday...not sure about over there

09-Jul-18
Rained a lot Thursday, Friday and Saturday around Salida.

Thursday the Arkansas was muddy like Hot Chocolate so it must have rained hard.

Ken

15-Jul-18
The Weston Pass estimated containment is late-July. Assuming monsoons help maintain that timeline is there any reason the forest service wouldn’t open the south west area of GMU 49-affected by the fire? Anyone in the know? Thanks in advance.

15-Jul-18
I sent an email to the address they put on the updates, Asking about opening the forest and Buffalo Peaks wilderness. They responded pretty fast saying they’ve been speaking to the forest service and they’re talking about opening some areas. That was yesterday morning. So hopefully in a couple days or by the end of the week we will see some stuff open

15-Jul-18
Given the relative quickness with which they re-opened the San Juan, I'd side with optimism. It's been raining steady all afternoon here, south of Denver. The Monsoons have arrived, just like most summers for the past 55 that I've seen. Hopefully the mountains are getting as wet as the weather folks are predicting.

17-Jul-18
Got thumped again last night. 'Again - Hope it the same out west!

17-Jul-18
That’s good news. I’ve waited a couple of years for my tag in the unit. I’m glad everyone was safe and was able to put the fire out pretty fast

17-Jul-18

Huntosolo's embedded Photo
It’s absolutely good news. Unfortunately, monsoons create new problems too. Happy for locals...however, not being able to get up scout is killing me! Fortunately, I got up once before the fire.

17-Jul-18
The local happenings are often just that, but sometimes an indicator of a larger pattern. The heavy rains have been VERY welcome, here. I've seen a LOT seasons like this one - scary dry goes away with the news cycle. 'Kinda like the San Juan closure - yeah, it happened. It makes news - and can be overblown with a heartbeat. The sky was falling, for almost 2 weeks, then it was over. I was starting to think about other options - a waste of time for a bit. It's supposed to be 98* & dry tomorrow...pretty hot for this time of year, even around here, but - hey - it's summer! IDC - I'm going hunting, somewhere. It'll be cooler in the mountains than here, pretty much no matter what. Even if it's hot up there - it will be better than staying home. Chicken little be D*****!!! 5-1/2 weeks - I may leave even earlier if it doesn't cool down!

17-Jul-18
Make that 3 afternoons of heavy rain & hail. Today is by far the heaviest around here. Shades of the 60's - my youth & those Monsoons will always be with me. We lost a grade school custodian to a ( new, back then) I-25 bridge flood & wash out, up in Castle Rock. It's pounding us at the moment. Good bye, dry... 'Brings back memories of 3 days of tenting it up during elk season.

18-Jul-18

Great news...USFS issued new guidance on area and road restrictions in BPW.

29-Jul-18

No turning back, all in now. 28 days...

• Sitka Gear