Mnhunter1980 02-Jul-18
Brotsky 03-Jul-18
Mnhunter1980 03-Jul-18
Brotsky 03-Jul-18
Mnhunter1980 03-Jul-18
Brotsky 05-Jul-18
Windlaker_1 05-Jul-18
02-Jul-18
I am from Minnesota and have hunted other states but first time hunting SD.we are going on archery deer hunt in sept to unit 15a. I have a few general questions I can’t seem to find answers to.

We are hunting blm land mostly off of Albion rd. My question is : is there anywhere we can camp on public land in that area?

: is a four wheeler going to be any help to us? Are they worth bringing? Or can we access just as well with a pick up?

Can anyone tell me what the regs are as far as quartering a deer in the field? If it’s legal what proof of sex do I need?

Thanks guys and gals in advance

03-Jul-18
Your best bet will be camping around Belle Fourche and traveling up to your hunting area. Rocky Point Rec Area at Orman Damn might be worth checking out.

You will not need a four wheeler, most off road travel is prohibited. A pick-up will get you everywhere you can legally get to.

Quartering in the field is perfectly legal. Your archery tag will be an "any deer" tag. It is not necessary to leave evidence of sex attached on an "any deer" tag. However, if you also purchase an antleress tag, you would need to leave a nipple naturally attached to one quarter as evidence of sex in order to be legal when quartering in the field on an antlerless tag.

03-Jul-18
Thank you very much! You have been very helpful!

03-Jul-18
One thing I should mention about quartering is that SD has a funny rule about tagging. You must "attach the tag securely around one hind leg between the hoof and ankle joint of big game animals". IE You'll have to leave one leg fully intact down to the hoof on one rear quarter and place your tag on that leg according to the reg. It's a dumb rule that needs to be updated but it is the "law of the land". If you are using an antleress tag you must leave your proof of sex attached to the leg with the tag.

03-Jul-18
Thanks again for your help and clarifying that. I have been researching for months on line and have gotten more information from you in a couple paragraphs. The internet is a great tool now but it can also be frustrating.

Like I said earlier we are planned on hunting blm land off Albion rd. Should we be expecting mostly rolling hills with grass etc? Thankyou

05-Jul-18
It will generally be coulees, draws, hills and grassland. You will want to pay particular attention to any wooded creek bottom areas or cedar choked coulees that provide additional cover. You should be able to locate these areas on google earth. Good luck.

05-Jul-18
We Antelope hunted (rifle) off Albion Rd. about 10 years ago. There was a campground in Belle Fourche...can't remember the name. Small, family run outfit. Reasonable, clean, close to the highway & stores. PM if you want me to dig around for the details.

• Sitka Gear