03-Jul-18
HORSEFLY

03-Jul-18
Could a kestrel eat a mantis?

03-Jul-18
JUNEBUG

03-Jul-18
Drslyr.

Have heard about it but have seen no links to it. One of the guys from the saddlehunter is designing it, correct ???

04-Jul-18
any comments on the Mantis compared to the Kestrel tree saddle ?

04-Jul-18
Is it a secret society?

04-Jul-18
How do I apply to join? Is it like Bowsite Platinum membership?

04-Jul-18
Oh no. Please don’t tell me I need references.

04-Jul-18
What? I have to be “nominated?” This is nuts.

04-Jul-18
Come on, somebody please nominate me. I really want to join.

04-Jul-18
Ok this is heartbreaking. I’ll just start my own secret society, “The Chubby Middle-Aged Guys.” Qualifications are pretty self-explanatory.

04-Jul-18
Ah some here have knowledge

05-Jul-18
The mantis was developed by G2 Outdoors dude on saddlehunter (along with one other I believe). G2 has been hunting out of a sitdrag for years. The mantis is easily the simplest and lightest set up available right now. Also the least expensive, I believe. Super light and probably more comfortable than a sitdrag.

I am still sticking with my sitdrag and rock harness for now. Cost me 75 bucks. Pete

05-Jul-18
Damn,.. and I thought is was a light weight tiller,.. :)

05-Jul-18
oh.. I thought you were talking about the NAP Mantis ground blind. I actually just ordered the 3 hub.

06-Jul-18
That saddle looks nice. Also I like how some guys are using the seat from a climber to not only climb the tree but using it as a platform when saddle hunting. This could be a new system for my public land hunts.

06-Jul-18
anybody have comments on the kestrel compared to the mantis tree saddle.....cost, comfort, weight??

06-Jul-18
No one is in possession of a mantis as of yet.

06-Jul-18
Cost is my main concern now....between tree saddle package and climbing sticks your estimating between $400 to $500? I like the idea of the tree saddle I'm just concerned with the cost when I'm done getting all the accessories? and, again this is all new to me but, I definitely have the fever.

08-Jul-18
I am all in. I have purchased the kestrel and the mantis. I have practiced from the kestrel but have not hunted from it yet. The reason for my switch to attempt saddle hunting was to greatly reduce my carrying load as a self fillmer and also to be able to write longer and much more boring “ live hunts” from the NY camp. The Mantis and my new secret climbing device should weigh in at around 6 lbs. total weight.

08-Jul-18
Do we get to see the super secret climbing device or just hear about it. Inquiring minds want to know.

09-Jul-18
This old guy just ordered the new improved Matis by Tethrd. I also am tired of dragging in all my gear to set up . Did my research and I like saddle setup one the best. 14 oz. so quite a difference in weight from any of my climbers. Well made and I like the idea of wearing a harness/saddle and my pack with bow, steps and platform attached. Now I can truly hunt the wind and do it from just about any tree.

09-Jul-18
I'm kind of old school and don't know a thing about saddle hunting, other than what I've read following these threads. Someone educate me.

If you're carrying your climbing gear, your sling/saddle AND a platform, why wouldn't you just hang a light weight stand instead? Wouldn't it be a lot more comfortable and safe? I don't see the advantage. What am I missing??

09-Jul-18
BC, what attracted me to get a saddle was how personalized you can make the setup. I wanted something that I could bushwhack through swamps with more quietly and easily, while also giving me the ability to manuever around the tree to increase shot opportunities. When I go to hunt I'll wear my saddle just like an article of clothing; my platform is two wild edge stepps, which I will carry in my back pack; I'll have 3 muddy sticks that I've rigged with a strap to sling over my shoulder.

As far as safety goes, the saddle is also your harness. Your full weight is held by the harness at all times, so there is no risk of slipping from a stand and waiting for the harness to abruptly stop you, likely swinging you into the tree during the process.

In my mind it's the ultimate mobile hunting setup. While I haven't hunted from it yet, I have spent hours hanging from trees shooting arrows.

10-Jul-18
It is certainly intriguing, have read these “saddle” threads with interest. I second BruceP concerning drslyr’s climbing device—can we learn about it, or is it genuinely a secret?

10-Jul-18

arch2112's Link

10-Jul-18
I ordered the mantis kit from Tethrd and it should be arriving shortly. For a platform I went with the Silent Approach steps kit from Bullman Outdoors. I already have Muddy PRO climbing sticks. I can use five sticks with an enabler device on the bottom step to get 20-22 foot . That's pretty much it . I will use a day pack with the steps and my bow attached and wear the mantis in to my tree. Other than all the other benefits of saddle hunting mentioned here theres one that was not . I have restless leg syndrome. If you are cursed with this like me you know how hard a short sit is in a traditional stand not to mention an all day sit. I`m constantly trying to change my position or stretch without giving up my location. It is my hope that being able to stretch and change position without compromising my location will keep me in the tree longer and increase my odds. Stay tuned and I`ll post how that works out for me. I just might have a few stands for sale at the end of this season lol.

10-Jul-18
Anyone truly interested in a new way to hunt should look up G2 outdoors on youtube or saddle hunter.com

10-Jul-18
Is this where we’ll find the secret climbing device?

12-Jul-18
Maybe

12-Jul-18
So cryptic, drslyr.

14-Jul-18
FYI. I just thought this might be helpful to some. SADDLE OPTIONS

The Guidos is heavier but more comfortable saddle, it has a crutch to hold you off of the tree and you sit in it instead of leaning. I mostly lean in my sitdrag but that requires a better platform. I use an XOP Hand Climber, see below. Guidos is under new ownership, John is working on a new version of the Guidos, it looks promising, but keep in mind that the Guidos is the luxury model of saddles it’s comfortable but heavier and hotter.

http://www.guidosoutdoors.com/

Kestrel by New Tribe(Long time Arborist harness Manf. Company), looks awesome, good reviews, but expensive, 225 for just the saddle or 334 to add the tether, lineman belt, and back strap.

**Update, they just came out with a mesh version which could be sweet for those southern hunters**

https://aerohunter.us/store/

Mantis is the newest saddle on the market, it was just released. It looks like a lighter simpler version of the Kestrel and it’s made out of mesh. It is going for $199 right now.

https://tethrdnation.com/product/mantis-saddle/

SitDrag, this is what I have, it's super cheap($33 I think) but only made for sitting at ground level, combined with a rock climbing harness, it's a great way to get started and pretty cheap(I already had a rock climbing harness).

http://www.sitdrag.com/home.html

19-Jul-18
Brian...when you get down to it...if you boil a stand system down to minimal and a saddle system down to minimal you end up close to the same weight with either. its all about your approach, and what you want to get out of it.

I loved my lonewolf climber but tired of having to find telephone pole straight trees in a sea of twisted/multi trunk/branched trees. so I went to a light weight hang on and climbing steps...but still struggled at times to 'find the right tree' or get comfortable etc. and also tired of having the deer come from unexpected directions and inevitably end up in an unshootable spot.

I found the saddle way more flexible for setups, and with my rock climbing hobby, more natural feeling hanging facing the tree rather than facing out. I like the ability of using your stand tree as cover (moving around the trunk to hide, etc). I 'feel' safer in my saddle than I ever did in a harness.

I also like the fact that with steppladder steps and a saddle, everything I need can be packed down small in a bag for travel and be ready to go and hunt anywhere without harming a tree or alerting others to my chosen stand sight.

so like I said....its all in what works for you.

19-Jul-18
One thing that makes me a little nervous about the saddle thing, as a certified chickenschlitz, is the lack of redundancy. Sitting in my stand, it supports me, and the harness is a backup. Sitting in my saddle, there’s no backup, if I understand correctly.

20-Jul-18
some folks tie a second tether as a backup...some folks tie the tag end of the tether back to the saddle as a backup...if the saddle fails you are kinda SOL. with the sitdrag DIY saddle I used to wear my Rock Climbing harness as well and had that as a backup. with the kestrel...that thing is pretty much bomb proof. its basically the same harness arborists use when doing treework. with all that said, there is inherent risk any time your feet leave the ground.

I am dead serious (perhaps a poor choice of words) when I say I feel safer in my kestrel than on any stand with my SOTP harness.

23-Jul-18
Greg from SH is saying the results from lab testing should be in this week . Once that happens they can start shipping the Mantis Saddle. I know when I ordered almost 1000 had been already pre ordered. With the extra two weeks I was hoping to be in my saddle for opening day. I have my fingers crossed.

24-Jul-18
I'm glad i read this. Have been seriously considering a saddle myself. The Mantis seemed to be the way to go but without being able to practice with it before the season starts due to these shipping delays, i might have to rethink what i go with IF i go with one.

26-Jul-18
Just got this from Mantis . Saddles are coming ! Shipping update We're reaching out to all our supporters to keep you up to date on our progress. We've been posting a lot of updates via Facebook and SaddleHunter.com, but it has been brought to our attention that not everyone has the time to check those outlets.

Currently the Mantis saddle and Predator platform are being safety & strength tested at an independent facility in Minnesota. The lab is putting the gear through a series of tests which will tell us the maximum strength of the equipment. It will also allow us to put a weight/load limit on both the saddle and platform. We expect the load limit of both items to be in the 300-500 lb range. We expect the Mantis to test at well over 5,000 lbs and the Predator to test between 500-800 lbs.

We were delayed due to scheduling of the testing facilities. This is the reason you don't have your gear in your hands yet. We chose to delay shipping in order to ensure safety. We could have shipped untested products, but that is a bad idea. Returning home after a hunt is far more important than a few extra practice sessions in the back yard before deer season.

The good news is you will still have your gear in time for hunting season. Those few states that open in early September (I'm looking at you South Carolina, Kentucky, Nebraska, Wyoming, etc.) may be slightly impacted, but if your season opens sometime after mid-September, you're gear will be in your hands well in advance.

As of now we're looking at delivery times ranging from the last few days of July to mid-August for orders placed between late May - mid June. If you ordered after mid-June, you'll receive your gear from mid-late August. At the end of August we anticipate being 100% caught up on pre-orders and fully stocked and ready to ship items as soon as the order is placed.

Thank you so much for the support! We've been blown away at the encouragement and good vibes saddle nation has thrown our way. You guys are amazing and are making all the hard work and stress worth it. Designing, engineering, and PRODUCING, the greatest saddle hunting gear in the history of mankind (how's that for an accomplishment), couldn't have been possible without your support. You guys are the best.

Ernie & Greg

Copyright © 2018 Tethrd, All rights reserved. You are receiving this email because you opted in via our website.

Our mailing address is: Tethrd 309 Hillside DrJordan, MN 55352-1808

Add us to your address book

Want to change how you receive these emails? You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp

02-Aug-18
Sit Drags or PreOwned Kestrels can be had right now. I did order a Mantis and am antsy to get it! I am glad I got a SD to practice with in the meantime.

04-Aug-18
anyone have an estimate on the mantis with all accessories (saddle, lineman belt SIS hauler, etc..) needed to hunt when it arrives? And, when is the next saddle site meeting so someone who has never been on a saddle can give it a try before making the purchase?

Right now i"m sold on the saddle concept and wild edge steps.

04-Aug-18
For climbing and as a platform I plan on using the Wild edge steps....still trying to figure how many I need to purchase?

08-Aug-18
I spent about $350 for Mantis, pouches, tether, back strap, and butt warmer.

I am all for a saddle meeting. Would be my first! Maybe when the Mantises arrive!

I bought 10 WE Stepps. This should get me to 20' if I wish to use all 10 "normally".

However, I can achieve the same or height with Peter's knaider/swaider method with half the stepps. Then I would have enough for a platform of 2-4 stepps.

Absolute minimums? 4 Stepps to get to 20' using Peter's method. 2 Stepps for a platform.

08-Aug-18
Well, just joined the club. Ordered a Mantis today. I am honestly very skeptical but it is really striking how people absolutely swear by these after using them. The big draw for me was the drastic reduction in how much crap you are carrying into the woods. Often times I hunt deep in swamps or have really long walks and having a stand on your back just sucks, especially during September when I do a lot of hunting. I also just cannot get comfortable in my lone wolf lock on and find it to be a huge pain in the butt setting it up. My lone wolf set up will be for sale if I end up liking this saddle. If not, the saddle will be for sale for one of you guys haha. I guess either way its not going to end up costing me any money to try it out which is why I pulled the trigger. Both the saddle and my lone wolf should sell for almost what I paid for them. Cant wait to try this thing out!!

08-Aug-18
A point that many are missing here is that 1 saddle can hunt any tree. You say so can 1 tree stand . Which would you rather carry in every day. your lone wolf sit and climb at 21lbs or your mantis saddle at 18oz. Can your climber go around branches? Another positive right now is that the saddle hunting is catching on like wildfire across the country. If you don't like it you'll be able to sell it instantly. The bad point is that every manufacturer cant keep up with the demand and you might not get it in time for the opener. I bought a Kestral and now I'm waiting on the Mantis like everybody else. however I ordered it way in the beginning so I'm expecting it within a week or two. Guys are bitching about not having enough time to practice with it pre season. If you are a tree stand hunter 5 or 6 times in the saddle and you'll be used to it. Iv'e said it before, for me being a filmer with a few back surgeries I needed a way to lighten the load so I could continue to hunt and film. Watch with frenzied anticipation for my "Live from the NY cabin hunts".

08-Aug-18
Just got this email from Tetherd…

Shipping update What's up Saddle maniacs? It's time for another Tethrd shipping update, and I'll just cut right into it.

First of all, the Predator platforms are delayed due to the ZipCam strap. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR! It's frustrating to have all these beautifully engineered, homegrown, USA born & bred, aluminum deer killing masterpieces ready to go only to be held up by a polyester strap! It's a super strong strap, but it's just a strap...and it's not even camo!!!!

We're told the straps will be ready by the first part of next week. Meanwhile your Predators are sitting quietly in the Tethrd World Headquarters (aka Ernie's basement) begging to be strapped to a tree. As soon as we have the ZipCam strap, boom, Predators are shipped.

Nearly all of our hold ups have been from our sewing contractor. It's not totally their fault and here's why. We selected them because they're an ISO (International Standards Organization) credentialed facility. They are more expensive and they take longer than other sew shops because of all the safety checks and quality control practices they MUST abide by in order to maintain their certification. This is good and bad. It's good because our lives are on the line, literally and figuratively, and we want to take every precaution possible when it comes to strength and safety. However, it's thrown more than one monkey wrench in our timeline. For that, we apologize. However, we know it will be worth the delay in the end. You will receive a quality, strong, and most of all, safe product that has been inspected over and over to ensure all standards are met. Did I mention this is all done right here in the USA?

The Mantis Saddles are in the final stages of production. We expect to begin taking delivery of those next week, and we are shipping as soon as they come off the line. Ernie and his saddle minions have decided to burn vacation days (aka rut hunting days) in order to ship this stuff as fast as humanly possible. Our anticipated timeline hasn't changed. We expect to get a lot of you your saddles by mid-august, and be totally caught up with orders by the end of the month. It may spill slightly over into September, but that's something we're working hard to avoid.

We've also been putting goodies in every single box to make up for the delays. I'm not going to tell you what they are...but we think you'll like them.

Finally, we found another test machine for the Mantis. It looks like we'll be able to get a full strength test done soon. But don't worry...this won't hold up shipping. And when the Mantis breaks this one too...we'll make sure to let you know.

We sound like a broken record saying "thank you for the support" over and over again, but the support and the "atta-boys" have been outstanding. Thank you guys so much. Our shared dream of hunting with the best saddle hunting equipment in the world is right around the corner. It's so very close!

Greg & Ernie

14-Oct-18
Be careful who you order a saddle from. Tethrd is not getting saddles to their customers in a timely or consistent manner. I ordered mine June 24 and still don't have it!

14-Oct-18
Longbowally, that is a seriously long wait, considering their website states a 6 week order delivery. I think they bit off more than they could chew when they started selling products, albeit good products, from the looks of the stuff. Maybe just starting with a saddle, linemans rope, and tree tether would have been a more realistic approach, adding accessories as they streamlined the process.

15-Oct-18
huntskifishcook - I agree. I think they have a good product but bit off more than they could chew. Hopefully they will eventually get things under control.

15-Oct-18
Yeah i've been following along. They got way more orders than expected. It definitely sucks im not in mine yet either but its really to blame on the sewing company. Tethrd was ready to go but had nothing to ship as the sewing company was taking extremely longer than expected. I ordered mine mid-august so i'm even further back on the list.

15-Oct-18
ironically just got this email. Looks like we might have ours within 2 weeks (I ordered a large). I would be so pumped if this came in for my trip that I leave November 3rd for.

Tethrd nation - it's time for another update. It's been a little longer on this update because we were waiting for verification on some really good news.

And the good news is: we received ALL OUR ACCESSORIES! That's right, all of them! SYS Haulers, Microfit Adjusters, Mantis Recliners and SBW Heaters are all in stock and shipping NOW! They turned out amazing! Some of you have already started to receive them and the feedback is great. We also have some video instructions in the works for the Mantis Recliner and the SBW Heater since those aren't quite as intuitive as the SYS Hauler. Look for those videos to be released on the Tethrd Nation YouTube channel this week.

Mantis XL – we are caught up with all orders and have a small amount of inventory. Mantis L – These have seen the biggest increase in production and we will be caught up on all orders by the end of October. Mantis M – These are coming in a bit slower and will be caught up in the first part of November. Predator Platform – The manufacturer ran into delays and we're expecting our next shipment by the end of this week and another big shipment at the end of next week. After we receive the second shipment, we will be totally caught up and have a small amount of inventory. Lineman Belts – in stock, ready to ship. Tethers – in stock, ready to ship. Carabiners – in stock, ready to ship. Ropemans – SOLD OUT. Not due in for 6 weeks. MicroFit Adjusters – in stock, ready to ship. SYS Haulers – in stock, ready to ship. SYS Haulers ES – in stock, ready to ship. Mantis Recliners – in stock, ready to ship. SBW Heaters – in stock, ready to ship.

For those of you who received partial orders, we're deep in the process of catching up on those now. We're sending out hundreds of boxes a week until we get caught up. Ernie hired a bunch of people to help expedite the shipping process so you guys get your gear as fast as humanly possible.

As you can see, we're slowly but surely getting Tethrd gear in the mail. Has it been an ideal process? Certainly not. We wish the process would have gone much more smoothly and quickly. However, we've done our best to keep you informed and get boxes out the door just as fast as humanly possible. Ernie, Val (Ernie's wife), and their Minnesota crew have been working their saddles off to get everything boxed and shipped. They're the true heroes of this operation! Try to keep in mind that we had no idea this experiment would attract so many hunters. We only had goals of getting the best gear into the hands of a few saddle hunters. It's humbling how many want to join the Tethrd Nation. Talk about a surprise!!!!

We'll send out another update soon. Thanks for the support! Now get out there and arrow a chasing buck!

Greg & Ernie

15-Oct-18
I hope it all works BWB22. I decided to stick with the sitdrag for the season, learn what I like and don't like, and listen to the feedback that will come from all the hunters buying saddles. Looking forward to your thoughts, likes and dislikes. I have a suspicion there will be some deals on lightly used saddles in January :)

15-Oct-18
Well today is the day. Mon oct 15 2018. Opening day of western ma. archery season. The day I finally received all of the rest of my tethrd nation mantis gear. My order is finally complete and I can begin to hang lightly and carry very sharp pointed sticks. LOOK OUT DEERS!!!!

• Sitka Gear