Reggiezpop 05-Jul-18
Tweed 05-Jul-18
Cheesehead Mike 06-Jul-18
Duke 08-Jul-18
Live2hunt 09-Jul-18
Sling Shot 11-Jul-18
Tweed 05-Aug-18
04-Jul-18
Calling all elk hunters. Do you guys put more stock in the camo pattern or quality of the camo? I’ve ready nothing but good reviews about Sitka, but don’t want to break the bank on new camo for an upcoming Wyoming elk hunt this fall. I’m guessing I can get away with non insulated with base layers, but was wondering what you guys wear out West for patterns and brands.

04-Jul-18
Makes no difference with Elk . I wear Predator uppers & black or brown jeans .

Don't wear the same pattern from head to toe . You will blob into a human . Just my opinion .

05-Jul-18
Worry about wind direction way more than camo pattern, they usually won't spook bad, if at all, if they see you but are gone if they smell you.

05-Jul-18
Avoid cotton at all costs, it gets wet and stays wet. I like polyester tech for outer layers (Kuiu, Sitka, Firstlite, Core4Element) with merino base layers. I've never really given the actual pattern much thought (I rarely have the same top/bottoms on). Check camofire they usually have some decent stuff at certain times of the year.

I've snuck well within archery range wearing a black polyester t-shirt and an orange hat. Their eyes don't generally bust you, their noses do. A wind checker is more important than your camo pattern. I got caught in the open sage 4-5 different times chasing a bull last year but the wind was good and he never really figured out what I was.

05-Jul-18
The Kuiu patterns are good; just don't buy their cheaper stuff. TOO NOISY! The Guide jacket and pant would be a good choice. Yes, I know - expensive - but worth it. Sitka is nice too, but even more expensive. Shop the sales; it will take some of the cuss off a purchase.

But one of the best items to buy is the Kuiu bino holder. It holds your glass safely and out of the way, and has pockets for a wind puffer. As mentioned before, it's mostly about wind direction. Good luck in Wyoming.

05-Jul-18
Assuming it's an archery hunt in September, yes I agree with what has been said. You won't regret having higher quality clothing but it's certainly not necessary. A base layer of 190 gm weight merino works really well. Some days you will leave it on all day and some days you will strip it off as the day warms up.

I have quite a bit of Sitka, Core4Element, Firstlite, Predator and Cabela's Microtex and fleece. It all works. Don't skimp on good quality merino socks such as Smartwool or Gore brand.

I know you didn't ask about boots, but don't skimp there either. Probably your most important piece of clothing...

05-Jul-18
Rarely do I disagree with Ruger, this is one of those times.

"Don't wear the same pattern from head to toe . You will blob into a human . Just my opinion ."

If you don't understand the science behind camouflage, check it out. I'm not talking about your basic Wal-mart brand.

Also highly agree that I would worry more about wind direction then camo pattern, every time.

05-Jul-18
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Much appreciated.

05-Jul-18
Speaking of boots if you are prone to blisters, leukotape could be your best friend in the backcountry if you start getting a hot spot. Buddy last year tried toughing it out even after he felt hot spots and ended up with huge popped blisters on his heels, have fun with that for 2 weeks.

Listen to Mike and Les when it comes to this stuff. If even those two can get close enough to kill something in the mountains with their various handicaps they probably don't have terrible advice ;)

05-Jul-18
Spot on with LukeO tape :), that stuff is straight gold if you need it.

05-Jul-18
My only handicap is my choice of friends... ;^P

05-Jul-18
I don't think the pattern is super critical on elk. I've had alot of elk spot me and as long as I stayed still they went back to there business. As far as footwear I actually wear regular low top running shoes, never had a problem with ankle support as someone will probably point out.

05-Jul-18
"My only handicap is my choice of friends... ;^P"

I could have swore Les posted the same thing on Rokslide a week or so ago;)

05-Jul-18
Low top running shoes might work for some and in some areas but I couldn't imagine getting caught in a foot of snow or packing an 80 pound pack up and down the mountain in running shoes...

05-Jul-18
"Low top running shoes might work for some and in some areas but I couldn't imagine getting caught in a foot of snow or packing an 80 pound pack up and down the mountain in running shoes..."

Or crossing some of those rock slides we've crossed, etc. Something like the Crispi Lapponia would at least offer more support at a weight not much more than a trail running shoe.

05-Jul-18
If I were you I would spend the money on the best boots you can get, that you like and are comfortable with, and than I would spend more money,,,,,,,, Besides your bow, its your boots,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

A good knit hat is as good as anything...... I wear all my old junk...... I need a shirt to keep me warm, and a shirt that the breeze gets thru......

Since you will be making a lot of trips, first invest in the boots,,,,, next year something else,,,,, I have to admit Sitka and others is nice stuff, but if you have to make a choice, get the right boots,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I hunted with a guy who used sneakers, sure they were in his pack, and worked well in some park areas, but no way, was he hiking out with them

see you saturday

05-Jul-18
Have found it interesting and somewhat amusing on some videos and hunt shows that the shooter/client is decked out full camo head to toe and the guide next to him has blue jeans and a solid color shirt and big cowboy hat. Seems counterproductive and a subliminal slap in the face of the client spending valuable time and money procuring his attire . But time and time again the client is successful. And there I am sitting on the couch with my Crown Royal and snack crackers with deer liver pate, confused and bewildered by this camo / non camo conundrum. And then it came to me in bright flash epiphany, yes, yes yes that’s it! clearly the elk recognize the guide from all his wandering around during the year and pay him no mind. It’s the stranger with the pointy stick, that needs the camo.

Full disclosure: I advocate wearing camo for the specific area and I wear camo but not usually a matched set, except Sundays I like to feel dressed up.

05-Jul-18
Lots of good advice . Makes it worth it while putting up with the brawls .

The Camo Question has no clear answer . What part of WY & what time of year . Are you calling on the move or sitting over an ambush spot .

I know a guy that wears time period buckskins for every hunt thats legal . He has a Mancave full of bruisers . He even wore a Coonskin cap until he got shot at .

Agree with the comment " theres a lot of gear more important than Camo ".

05-Jul-18
Ruger- most likely sitting over ambush spots. I will be out the first week of October.

05-Jul-18
Hey Reg let me know if you want a coon skinned cap. I'd be happy to make you one.

06-Jul-18

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Must not be an archery hunt then... You might want to pack some warmer clothes then and be prepared for snow. This is what I encountered the second week of October in WY.

08-Jul-18
I agree with the posts stating camo is second to the actual gear it’s on... Be prepared for everything and layers are key. Also, as pointed out, quality footgear is a MUST. -If your feet get trashed you’re SOL. Find something that will keep your feet dry and support your ankles whether climbing, descending, or packing. I love Meinel’s, but that’s me—need something that works for you... Like running shoes, everyone wears them different.

09-Jul-18
Yep, boots are your best friend or worst enemy in the mountains.

11-Jul-18
Last year I had a nice bull walk up to within a foot of my face and sniffed me. I was wearing First Lite Assat camo pattern. However, I was kneeling up against a tree when this happened. Try to stay concealed and most important don't make a move when an elk is looking in your direction. The bull that approached me was headed towards the caller about 15 yards from me. That's when he spotted me. He was curious what I was and that's why he came up to me. Had I been standing, l think he would have been long gone. There we actually 2 bulls, a cow, and a calf in that group and both bulls were bigger than any bull I had shot with my bow. But, I thought I could do better. So I passed on those two and ended up killing a better bull about 45 minutes later. Yes, good camo helps but playing the wind and concealment are more important

05-Aug-18
Hey Reg, hows your training/prep been coming along for your hunt?

• Sitka Gear