onX Maps
First Archery Mule Deer Hunt
Wyoming
Contributors to this thread:
Zim1 05-Jul-18
HiMtnHnter 06-Jul-18
05-Jul-18
OK so I've been on tons of DIY hunts in many states, including 5 in Wyoming. Majority were for elk, some for pronghorn & mule deer, but never archery hunted for mule deer. Only exception would be in the Arizona Kaibab, but that was all treestand hunting in big timber. I drew a red desert area deer tag, unit 87, and want to buy the archery permit and do the first week Sept. 1-8. I've always been picky about where I apply, in that I opt for stalkable terrains. But I burned these points counting on the rifle season, but having no other tags this year, I want to try this week of archery to take advantage of the tag, plus learn the area. The only thing I know about archery mule deer hunting is what I have read, and watching YouTube videos. for stalking techniques. Thought I would post here to see if anyone has experience in this desert type terrain of unit 87 or similar. And maybe what technique has the most chance for success. I question if there's much cover for any stalk in that environment. Thanks.

06-Jul-18
Archery mule deer that week can be a blast. The deer are often quite viable and still in summer patterns. I've never hunted 87 for deer, but I would bet if you get up high on the flanks of Ferris and glass early you will find some bucks. Watch where they bed down and give it a go. Look for springs, windmills, and other water sources on the map, as water will dictate where you find deer. There are some "desert deer" in 87 out in the flats. Again, find water. Good luck.

• Sitka Gear