Idaho
Contributors to this thread:
svrelk 08-Jul-18
YZF-88 19-Jul-18
Mt. man 23-Jul-18
svrelk 25-Jul-18
nijimasu 12-Aug-18
08-Jul-18
Looking for unit suggestions for a youth hunt in Idaho for this fall. I realise I'm behind the ball on this one but after my son (age 10) had a great first big game hunt this spring with bears I'm hoping to keep the ball rolling for him this fall. Montana restricts youth to just deer and turkey and I'd like to give him the opportunity to experience other species as well. Not searching for anyone's honey hole just some general info on available tags etc.. thanks. Jim

19-Jul-18
Idaho is a good state to take youths for sure (especially if you already paid the license fee to apply/hunt). I brought mine there for her first deer hunt last year. We hunted an unlimited control unit. No luck but it was fun. Don't have any suggested places though.

It wouldn't hurt to browse some of the state pages on other websites but be forewarned. On sites like MM, there is a blatant disdain for non-residents. Participating is more or less a waste of time. Seriously, even good discussions on subjects like points will turn into non-resident round table floggings complete with quotes like these:

"For US residents we truly value your opinion and your money. Let's be honest...the only reason you prefer random is because you have a chance to draw every other year or every year depending on the tag....Haha get lost."

"but overall I won't give most NRs the time of day, 90% are users and takers and offer nothing to our economy."

23-Jul-18
Hey Jim,

Since you are in Mt. I would suggest a WT tag and just hunt general seasons in the Grangeville, Kooskia and Dworshak area as the population of Deer are pretty great up that way. Get your kid out as much as possible is a great thing. Lived here in SW Idaho for almost 50 years now and the deer have went badly south in numbers down this way. Elk are doing pretty good, but the 2 best area's around here now put a cap on the bull tags and they are already all sold out. Again those area's I mentioned might be good for Elk as well. Look up another Montana guy here on Bowsite named HUNT MAN and I am positive he might have a few spots for you to check out for your son. MM and AT and RS are all a joke in my opinion, but I'm not cut from that "TROPHY" mentality cloth like most of them are. I kind of enjoy doing things for kids.....hint hint scooterscamp.com

25-Jul-18

svrelk's Link
Thanks guys... Appreciate the feedback... Yeah Hunter is a good guy and a friend... We live in the Bitterroot valley as well.. The trophy to me is the experience. And watching my boy experience his firsts.. well it tops all of mine put together..

12-Aug-18
Wherever you end up, good luck! I hope you guys come out heavy!

• Sitka Gear