writer 31-Jul-18
z hunter 31-Jul-18
z hunter 01-Aug-18
z hunter 01-Aug-18
ksq232 07-Aug-18
Thornton 08-Aug-18
ksq232 08-Aug-18
08-Jul-18
With the turkey hunting nonsense already going on, I wanted you guys to know what else is going on. This is from our local state representative, there is a movement right now to get legislation authored in order to make non-resident tags over the counter in 2019; as well as make Kansas a two buck state.

Now this part is coming from me, I truly believe there are those in Topeka, backed by Farm Burea, trying to eradicate the deer herd in our state. There is no other reason for such absurdity.

08-Jul-18
Dam this sucks. One reason I love hunting Kansas is because it’s a 1 buck state.

08-Jul-18
I certainly hope this goes nowhere. I think our one buck rule is one of the most important reasons that we have the quality deer herd that we do.

08-Jul-18
North Dakota here I come!!!!!

08-Jul-18
Better call your representatives! Mine is already dead set against it, he will lead the charge to get this shot down before it gets real feet. Understand this not yet proposed legislation, but it would be a good idea to let you reps know where we stand on these issues.

08-Jul-18
Totally against this as a NR. Can’t really believe this is a reality but you never know?

09-Jul-18
I would hate to see Kansas be available over the counter and one buck is plenty. Shawn

09-Jul-18
Quinn, anything is possible with the zoo in Topeka... this is a very real threat.

10-Jul-18
I couldn’t agree more Shawn.

10-Jul-18
I don’t see two bucks as having much of a chance...

10-Jul-18
I would hope none of it has a chance, but we have seen things evolve a lot so you never know.

Matt

10-Jul-18
Please no. I can only imagine what would happen to the system for Mule Deer tags purchased by residents. 1 a year is great and MO/NE/OK aren’t too far if you want a second buck.

10-Jul-18
I would be ok with both of these changes if they made additional changes to offset them...….. removal of scopes for all seasons except rifle, earn the second whitetail only buck tag (at a much higher price), bye bye baiting, shorten the 5 month season, less doe tags in low population units. Increase revenue, increase fair chase, and achieve some management goals at the same time. I am sure we could name 30 additional tweaks to offset these revenue generating changes that keep the harvest close to neutral.

14-Jul-18
It's like the weather no matter how much you want it to change you have no influence over wether it does or not. Same thing with the Kansas legislative process I've called I've wrote letters I've sent emails I've went to meetings. And still no change just like the weather. Oh well guess I'll start golfing.

31-Jul-18
Pulled this from archerytalk:

I can find out but if Farm Bureau is pushing this it will probably go thru. They are the largest lobby.

The person I talked to did mention he was aware of otc and two bucks for residents but he needs to find out more since this is not in his primary interest area.. He is a former cabinet member who is still very active in state government. Customer of mine and I will see him again over the weekend.

He did mention that too many deer in some areas and not enough in others was mentioned along with vehicle insurance issues, crop losses and more customers for businesses in western Kansas. It may be that outfitters could request two buck tags for nr customers but diy nr's would be limited to 1. But that was just from memory on a subject that was not his primary interest.

31-Jul-18
Also from archerytalk:

My info is that the changes are in committee and will be voted on by Sept. 1. Farm Bureau is the main group behind this and they want more deer killed each season. I was promised a print out of what is in committee. Will post again if I get that.

31-Jul-18
I really hope we can get Rep. Doug Blex back in our district, he will kill this in committee. If you are in Doug's district, get out and vote a week from today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

31-Jul-18

z hunter's Link
I believe i counted 138 controlled shooting areas. They are basically Outfitters without having to follow all of the rules which everyone else has to adhere too.

31-Jul-18

z hunter's Link
They have an active "lobbyist" at their disposal. Hunters are not even required to have "hunter safety". Their deer hunters have to go thru the draw...

31-Jul-18

z hunter's Link
There is currently only 9 outfitters who are a member of the KBA..

Even if the state requires licensing of outfitters..it wont slow down outfitters, prices will just adjust accordingly..

With the current NR quota set at 21816, this limits the size or pool for which outfitters can find clients.. it helps limit the size of an outfitter..without being able to get a tag..there is only so much room for an outfitter to grow.

With otc, and unlimited tags, outfitters and CSA's will most certaily get much larger...leasing more property...taking more wiha away from the state.. removing even more public opportunities.

I hope someone with the state legislature and the kdwpt listens to the little guy, the resident hunters, .. and not the lobbyists pushing for otc tags, 2 bucks,..etc..they should listen and do what the majority of our constituents desire.. not the special interest groups.

31-Jul-18
I am a Georgia resident that pays to come to SE Kansas every year to hunt your deer. The limit rules of one buck and one doe are a generous plenty. The men and women in Topeka need to understand what a resource they have in their wildlife. Georgia has a two antlered deer AND TEN DOE per season limit -- it's ridiculous to say the least. Farm Bureau, and its companion insurance lobby, are powerful in every state - and i am sure it's worse in a state heavily invested in agriculture, but write your state representatives to let them hear you opposition.

31-Jul-18
I’m really confused. Sept. 1 is a Saturday, and what committee? The legislature is not in session. Two “buck tags” only for guided NR? CSA “special regs” only apply for species they propagate. You know there’s a commission meeting near Medecine Lodge? Only the afternoon session, though.

31-Jul-18

z hunter's Link
Ok,..if you say so...

31-Jul-18
Well, just discussed with the agency attorney this afternoon. How about if he says so?

31-Jul-18
I can agree Writer, a CSA has special regulations for their upland hunting opportunities...but the same CSA also has to follow the normal regulations for guiding/outfitting for Big game...

Regardless, the CSA's are pushing for more business opportunity.

Kansas Farm Bureau has been vocal in a number of legislative 'deer hunting" issues.. they want the Written permission to hunt or fish on private land...they want deer and turkey numbers reduced..

01-Aug-18

z hunter's embedded Photo
Google, Kansas Farm Bureau Policy Book 2017

It should show a pdf download.. the following policies.

AG-29

01-Aug-18

CNR - 4 continued
CNR - 4 continued
CNR - 3 & 4

07-Aug-18
If you're here in SEK and in Rep. Doug Blex's district, get out and vote for him today!!!

08-Aug-18
I'm curious why they would recommend we withdraw from the Western Assoc. of Fish and Wildlife agencies?

08-Aug-18
According to the Wichita Eagle, Rep. Doug Blex won the primary, since there is no democrat running, that's a BIG win for us hunters!

• Sitka Gear