TT-Pi 10-Jul-18
xi 10-Jul-18
09-Jul-18

Belchertown Bowman's embedded Photo
Hey Folks,

I have seen a huge drop off on deer in the clover plot. This sorta corresponds with my fight to supress the weeds with Butyrac (which seems to only slow them down not kill them). Could it be that when I spray I make the plants taste like crap? I am not brave enough to taste the Butyrac,..

Last question can anyone ID this weed,.. it is a real pain in my butt!! I can't seem to kill it?

PS even with the weeds as you can see the clover is getting huge!

09-Jul-18
looks like Horseweed. I found this advice.

Fall or early spring herbicide treatments in fields where horseweed seedlings are observed and especially in fields with a history of horseweed-control problems. The primary goal of a fall or early spring treatment is control of emerged plants. It should not be considered a substitute for a pre-plant or pre-emergent herbicide treatment later in spring. An application of burndown and residual herbicides is still required closer to planting in fields that were treated with burndown herbicides in the fall or early spring. For fall applications, we suggest using 2,4-D as the base herbicide to control horseweed and combining it with one or more of the following to ensure control of other winter weeds: — Glyphosate — Dicamba (can use premix, such as Brash ® or Weedmaster ® ) — Basis ® — A low rate of Canopy ® /Cloak ™ EX or DF — Autumn ™ Super, or metribuzin

09-Jul-18
I’m not an expert for sure but my observations on clover is they surely like it but when other food sources are around I find clover action spotty. Anything new emerging in your area?

09-Jul-18
They might just be eating "weeds" somewhere else....

09-Jul-18
Oh come on someone taste the Butyrac for me! ,.. LOLOLOL

Surely Xi has tried it,.. right? :)

09-Jul-18
Regarding the deer eating something else or avoiding your plot recently/ presently: It is likely the results of "June Drop". Trees will shed the extra burden at this time and it must be a treat for our whitetails. This includes fruit and nut trees. They will return.

09-Jul-18
Yep that it is,.. Horseweed, thanks Pi!

Maybe I gotta hand pull em,.. ugh that will take hours. I weed whacked it all back and my hope is the clover will over grow the Horseweed?

09-Jul-18
Regarding Horseweed: ( if this is your weed) It is resistant to your Butyrac spray. At this point, it is best to pull/kill the plants before they produce seeds. Maybe a spot spray of roundup or Raptor but perhaps you could/should make a tall tubular 3/4 shield to lessen overspray and protect your clover. If that is not practical you could cut them down low to the ground but they may survive and still drop seeds.

( Entry overlap timing) Edit: I agree that pulling is best when they shoot up again. It will take time but you don't want them to drop thousands of seeds for next year.

Good luck. I like to make a workout out of work and avoid going to a gym where the major byproduct is perspiration and less money. Sounds very Tom Sawer-ish. "Hey, kids, this is so much fun and look how fast I can do this... "

09-Jul-18
Shit I never thought of seed drop,.. but if the clover is big and tall and thick maybe a young seedling would get choked out next spring? But wait the clover dies back in the spring too?

Damn this entire food plot thing! I am going to officially blame Xi for this! LOL

09-Jul-18
Butyrac tastes like chicken, the deer are herbivores so you are basically screwed

09-Jul-18
Thanks Len LOL

Ya Pi,.. apparently once horseweed is established its too late. Butyrac is only effective when it is a seedling. My back is hurting just thinking about hand weeding the plot!

09-Jul-18
This is why the "kill everything first" method is/was suggested. Save your back...Bend your knees!

The Farmland caretaker that I know is planting grass in his front yard. He laid down loam and let it sprout all its weeds. He sprayed the whole thing with " kill- all stuff" ( I think he said it is Raptor but Roundup works well too) . and now a week or so later it is a lovely shade of brown. Next, he will seed it, feed it and cover the seeds with a clean weed free material like peat or a lite compost. Role it. water and wait. Perfect every time.

Don't lose sleep over it! Your plot is great as is. Be sure to keep it healthy with enough fertilizer and they will gather around for their last meal. And one last road trip in your jeep. Not the Mustang!

09-Jul-18
Ive been weeding mine by hand about ten minute a day but its in my back yard so thats not a big deal. However the trail cam videos im getting show the deer eating all the stuff around the edge of my clover but never eating the clover it self. Funny all the time put into killing weeds and planting clover and they prefer the weeds

09-Jul-18
True stillhunter. I have a single doe in my yard /area. Which has a 4-5-year-old clearcut run about 40 + yards wide. This strip is beyond the grass/ yard and before the woods. It is a wild mix of whatever nature has. This doe is eating all sorts of random plants and lately decided to prune my Hosta ( leaves and Flower buds) a spit distance from my deck. I have corn planted and a garden with a low fence, so far unmolested ... We shall see if this becomes a problem but the point is just as you say. They eat all kinds of things.

They are creatures of the forest edge where new growth is plentiful and low enough to reach. They probably would look like giraffes if they didn't have our backyards to graze in...

09-Jul-18
Round up is nasty stuff. Make sure you cover yourself head to toe and wear a mask if you use it.

09-Jul-18
Roundup taste like Butyrac which tastes like chicken.

True Pro, and like shooting ... know what is beyond your target ( downwind).

09-Jul-18
Proline X2, I’m guessing the deer have something better to eat at the moment then clover. My lawn is over run with clover and I don’t see the deer eating it. They seem to be eating everything else though. Also, in regards to the weed killer once my weeds hit a certain size it seems like I can’t kill them no matter what. Gonna have to rip the suckers out.

09-Jul-18
Herbicide tastes like?..........We'll just have to wait for BB to tell us this fall.

http://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/conservation/whitetails-crossroads-crops-contributing-whitetail-decline/

We all hunt for many reasons but I feel safe to say that procurement of wild meat is near the top of everyone's list. In my house we try to eat organic when buying commercial foods and eat as much foraged plants and wild fish and game as possible. Deer feeding on a treated food plot would not qualify as organic meat in a supermarket. I just do not comprehend how spreading herbicides and pesticides on our wild lands is considered a good thing. Tekoa

09-Jul-18
I tend to agree with you tekoa. I read the big game forum often and I'm surprised at the number of guys who spray chemicals to kill weeds to get their food plots in for the deer. And we wonder cancer becomes all to common.

09-Jul-18
What about all the crap people put on their lawns ,gardens and shrubs? Just as bad imo.

09-Jul-18
X3, Tekoa.

09-Jul-18
24db buytrac works best on new growth weeds ie best to use 1st thing in the spring when and before the weed problem rears its ugly head. if you use it theis time of year best way is to mow it little lower than usual then wait a few days then hit it with the 24db....id go a little stonger on mix this time of year too

09-Jul-18
Here we go ... I did some research on Glyphosate and such other herbicides. GMO's too. I couldn't find any harmful effects of these chemicals that are transferred to the consumer when used as directed. In other words, you would have to eat them like frosted flakes to cause issues. See Scholarly articles for EPA study of Glyphosate.

Where are you getting your information that these are transferred through our wild game and into our bodies? Causing Cancer? show the source information, please.

Herbicides kill herbs Pesticides kill pests by design and not built to destroy our cellular structure. In addition, The half-life is relatively short once introduced to the air. And absorption is difficult due to the structure of chemicals and our natural barriers. Just what is driving this fear based idea? Show the link to cancer and don't site that Proven false data by that French nut case Seralini . Give something of real science, please. Valid Scholarly articles, please. Good luck .

10-Jul-18
Tt-PI. I spent five months as a frequent visitor to Dana farber with an inoperable cancerous non hodgkins large B cell tumor in my hip the size of an orange. One of the things I learned while there is herbicides, pesticides and fertilizers are one of causes to several types of lymphoma. My doctor was originally from northern Maine where they have one of the highest rates of lymphoma caused by the numerous chemicals they use on potatoes and apples.

10-Jul-18
Very sorry to hear that Proline. I don't doubt that some chemicals are causing some issues somewhere but with regard to our topic the EPA has been evaluating "Roundup" since the 70's and If you read the scientific papers explaining the reason for such low risk with its normal use you would understand that this particular product is not the culprit.

Each pesticide ( which is not really a deer -food- plot issue ) must be looked at as well. From Permethrin to DDT. there is a wide range of safety and toxicity concerns ranging from no worries to big problems.

It is likely that pesticides and more probable the " inert ingredients" used alongside them are your best bet for finding the source of that issue from Maine. It would be worth finding the specifics on that local problem.

Does Glyphosate Cause Cancer? - FactCheck.org https://www.factcheck.org/2017/08/glyphosate-cause-cancer

10-Jul-18
A quick overview of the "Maine issue": The Pesticides that are used to control insects that destroy the Apple, Potato and Blueberry crops. Worst offenders are Guthion and Velpar ( hexazinone ) and some fungicides may also be an issue. A good place to start.

But it is not just the crop industry that uses these chemicals. The electric Co and Railroad Co have "Special Variances" Which sounds fishy.

A better( Way better) choice is BT ( Bacillus Thuringiensis ) And the future is likely in Genetic Modification but that's another topic.

10-Jul-18
Well now knowing that spaying is not effective on Horsetail, I will stop wasting my time. Next spring I will try to hammer it early on.

Sounds like manual pulling.

10-Jul-18
TT-Pi

A little background on how my opinions are formed when it comes to environmental contaminants of any type. I am a biologist by training and work at a drug development company specializing in cancer therapies. I've worked in the Pharma industry for over twenty years working with some of the best scientists in the world. Biology is extremely complex, marginally understood and quite unpredictable. Drugs for human use require years of clinical trials to prove safety and efficacy. Many drugs are conceived but few make it to approval. Now take Herbicides and Pesticides and other chemicals that people will be exposed to in their everyday lives. Of course they are tested for safety and environmental clearance but nowhere near the diligence given pharmaceuticals. People will say show me the data? Obviously the various federal regulatory agencies looked at the data and thought it was good enough. These are on the market.

Bur we only know what you test for and within the time frame tested. Mice, rats and other test animals are not humans. Also individual genetics play a huge role in how someone responds to any environmental exposure. That is why targeted drug therapies work for some people and have no effect on others.

We all choose our own paths. I'll limit my exposures to environmental toxins whenever I can. Others may do as they wish.

Tekoa

10-Jul-18
Tekoa ,I understand and mostly agree with what you are bringing up but it is still a matter of specifics. (The topic of Roundup )

Your statement: "Obviously the various federal regulatory agencies looked at the data and thought it was good enough. These are on the market. But, we only know what you test for and within the time frame tested. Mice, rats and other test animals are not humans. Also, individual genetics play a huge role in how someone responds to any environmental exposure. That is why targeted drug therapies work for some people and have no effect on others."

True that critters are not humans but cell structure and chemical composition is consistent in the way it allows or does not allow interaction. This has consistently been tested for. (Genotoxicity studies are available for 30 years of study) After review of the best methods used to evaluate the interaction of say Roundup with cellular structure, it is long understood and accepted that this has safe application use, baring the improper handling or overexposure due to human ignorance. (such is the case with all things).

I believe you are blurring the line between our individual genetics IE: our susceptibility to environmental conditions, Which is quite true but not relevant here, and the actual reason this "Roundup" was and is considered safe by leading experts in your field. You're welcome to point to studies that contradict this but listing your resume, albeit impressive and passionate is short in persuasion. Or do you and your "worlds best" know a secret that you are keeping from us simple folks.

To your point, Some good science has shown the adverse effect of added ingredients, surfactants of animal fats etc, also, when mixed with other chemicals those added are often the cause for concern. All this has been tested for by the very methods that you and all others have at our disposal. Nothing secret that I can find...

Conspiracy? I'm all for entertaining the possibility but the evidence is far too available and transparent on this. Keep it simple and provide a study that concludes a reasonable basis for your belief in this particular chemical at the normal application rate. ( Roundup ) Or concede the point to our experts until such time.

Respectfully. PI

10-Jul-18
The best thing for a clover plot is to mow it every 3-4 weeks. It keeps weeds down and it promotes fresh new growth. The deer prefer the new growth. Also during the summer months there's plenty of other food sources to choose from. Come September the deer will use your plot more frequently all the way till the acorns drop or the first hard frost.

10-Jul-18
BB wielding a flame thrower next to the forest, can't see anything wrong with that picture. Wait a minute while I get my matches and a camera.

10-Jul-18
No worries hunterma, There is always mud.

10-Jul-18
This may sound dumb but try white vinegar...my bro in law let the back yard go to clover figuring when the grass browns out the clovers still there and it attracts the deer..he sprays all the weeds(crabgrass,dandilions,whatever) with vinegar..it looks like napalm in a couple of days..worth a shot

10-Jul-18
Notme , Vinegar is a good killer of plants. Bleach too. But don't start mixing chemicals without good information first, if at all.

I still like the Torch method but have a fire extinguisher/water source on hand. ( Mud optional )

10-Jul-18
That's it,..!! I am going full on FlameBo,.. sweet band on my forehead, Kbar knife,.. couple gallons gasoline and a hand lighter!

Oh,.. and a diet coke in case the flames get outta hand.

F'ing weeds will get theirs!

:)

10-Jul-18
CAUTION The provided article that Tekoa posted above is PROPAGANDA. There is so much wrong with this opinion piece that it is hard to know where to begin.

First, it sets out to claim GMO's namely Roundup ready crops and the subsequent use of Glysophate is to blame for deer populations falling and tries an end around attack based on thyroid issues in fetuses. Based on Nutritional deficiencies... Which may have some truth in isolation but deer eat a variety of foods, not just the summer crops. It relies on second-hand information from some Purdue Univ, Professor who heard it from someone named Judy Hoy who studies PESTICIDES not our topic Herbicides. Then it goes on to admit it is not being tested separately from the other chemicals present in the FUNGICIDES such as BRAVO which contains CYANIDE and the various PESTICIDES being used simultaneously.

It contradicts itself in saying the population of Deer rose to its current greatness under the same conditions it is now blaming for the recent reduction which "may be due to some birth defects " whose origin is not known. Which is it? Roundup being common since the early 70's caused the deer population explosion or its current modest decline? Can't say and your guess is as good as the authors. It's a guess but not a random one. And look at the giant Bucks in the middle of the field ... They look healthy to me...

Nope, this author has a bone to pick with GMO's and Roundup but can't seem to provide any facts to support the fantasy. It is a Propaganda piece for Organic farming. So what do they do? they blur the issue and piggyback it onto other issues and call it one and the same. Guilty by association. More FAKE news from FAKE SCIENCE.

I accept that some chemicals being used may be affecting people negatively but before we toss out everything because some side effects are present and unwanted we should be sure of what is what and where the side effects are coming from. GMO's are likely the greatest invention ever and likely to save many millions of people worldwide. So what if it's not an all-natural development without mans thinking, an engine isn't either, nor a TV, a compound bow or this computer...

All Organic (if that is really possible) sounds good and I am sure it would be a great thing if it could also feed the population without any interference from chemical helpers... That ship sailed long ago. We are living longer and healthier lives than ever before ... We must be doing something right.

10-Jul-18
Never tasted them, and yes, please wear protective gear and watch your wind drift and over spray. Follow the labels and directions please.

• Sitka Gear