DeerBuilder.com
Ft Drum NY hunting
Massachusetts
Contributors to this thread:
hunterma 09-Jul-18
wilbur 09-Jul-18
hunterma 09-Jul-18
09-Jul-18
My son-in-law is expecting to be transferred to Ft. Drum, NY later this year. Anyone hunt this area before or have a handle on public land hunting opportunities in this general location? Also, having never hunted NY non-resident or otherwise, any tips or things to watch out for? I figured if I'm gonna have family there I might as well explore the possibilities of combining visits with hunting.

09-Jul-18
Annual hunting licenses and privileges are valid from September 1 through August 31 each year. You can purchase a 2018-2019 license in August of 2018. Figure out the DMU you are going to be hunting in and apply for an antlerless permit. If you don't get one you will receive a preference point to be used next year.

There are lots of hunters in NYS; private and public lands are crowded. Try to get over near Fort Drum and knock on some doors. Would be great to secure some private land. There is public land check the NYS DEC website for details.

If you waterfowl hunt there is lots of swamps/rivers/lakes with above average waterfowl opportunities.

09-Jul-18
Good info, thanks

• Sitka Gear