horsethief51 10-Jul-18
Tuck 10-Jul-18
HARRY CARRY 10-Jul-18
Tuck 10-Jul-18
horsethief51 10-Jul-18
horsethief51 10-Jul-18
HARRY CARRY 10-Jul-18
09-Jul-18
I started setting up for my clubs 3D events. I am very much enjoying it, but I'm wondering what to expect for the number of shooters to show up for an average size club with a bit over 2,000 members

10-Jul-18
Depends somewhat on where you are. Southeastern PA has the most people. 25 to 30 years ago we got 200 shooters at field archery shoots all around Montgomery County every Sunday. We only held just 2 3 d shoots a year and once got over 400 in one day. 10 to 12 years later we were lucky to get 50 to 100. That would be great at some of the small clubs here in western PA in this day and age. I bet at a club your size you would be lucky to get 6 or 7 guys to help you. Pinehill could have 200 visitors over this next weekend. It helps if there are not other clubs having shoots the same day closeby.

10-Jul-18
As far as the help I have a handful of dedicated guys. Our first shoot got rained out. The second shoot we had 21 show up. We're doing some local advertising and hoping word of mouth may help. We received quite a bit of positive feed back on how we set up the course and hoping to see our number rise somewhat over the next few months. There's not to many 3d shoots in the area like there was 10 - 15 years ago, so once we get established I think that will help.

10-Jul-18
I'm part of the crew for "Strictly Sticks Traditional Archers". It's a sub-group of a regular sporting club here in Alverton, Southwestern PA. The sporting club (East Huntingdon Sportmans Association) has bunches and bunches of members (nearing 1000, if I hear the numbers correctly), but members tend to stick to the activity they like. (Pistol shooters to pistol events, trap shooters to trap events, rifle to rifle, etc.)

So, you may have 2000 members, but they may not all enjoy Archery. That means that only a percentage will even begin to consider your event.

Of the folks who will consider your event, you will probably have, at maximum, 10 people willing to help. And, for them, too, other things may take precedence on any particular day's event.

So, base your event on who actually will help, and what your crew can accomplish. "Over-promising" a 3D will lead to negative appreciation by participants, and lack of return. Promoting a basic event, but quietly building it to something more, will lead to participants being surprised and appreciative of your efforts, with a higher likelihood of returning.

"Strictly Sticks Traditional Archers" is a Traditional only Archery sub-group of the sporting club. We promote through the PA Bowsite, the Leatherwall, and through a very strong Facebook page. (Check us out.) We also have flyers printed (at no cost, as donated by a crew member) and distributed at various functions and Trad archery events. We maintain a "style standard" with our printed pieces, and try to give as much detail as will fit on the page. This includes everything from physical location of the shoot, to all costs, and a basic of the logistics involved.

"Strictly Sticks" has been averaging around 60-75 Archers per single-day 3D shoot. And our shooting months are November through March, the coldest months of the year. Our 2-day shoot, scheduled for September 8-9, 2018 for this year, averages between 100-150 attendees over the 2-day period.

We listen to what our participants comment on, and if there's an immediate problem, we fix it. If there's something that needs to be done for the next event, we make sure it gets done.

Working with, on average, 7 folks per shoot can lead to "burn out", but we try to get the crew members on the courses, too, to participate.

You mentioned you are having events, and asking what to look for as for participation. Something to consider: when you are talking about your event, NAME IT, WHERE IT IS, AND WHEN IT WILL BE in each posting or thread you comment on. As part of your crew, you'll need to build up name and event recognition, so folks can become familiar with who, when, and where you are. (Notice how I keep repeating "Strictly Sticks" / or "Sticks" as I write this....)

Let us, the PA Bowsite reader, know the details of your event, Tuck. Once folks realize there IS an event at your club, like the old saying, "If you build it, they will come...."

10-Jul-18
Thanks, that's excellent advice. With that said our club is Point Phillips Rod and Gun Club in Bath Northeastern PA, We set up a 30 target 3D course the second Sunday of the month March through September. This coincides with an all you can eat breakfast buffet that the club puts on (they do an awesome job). The shoot hrs. are 7 a.m.- 12 p.m. The breakfast is 8 a.m.- 12 p.m. The cost for the shoot is $10 and $16 with breakfast.

10-Jul-18
I believe serving good food helps and your prices are very reasonable for that area. We used to travel up there once in a while from Audubon area.

10-Jul-18
I believe serving good food helps and your prices are very reasonable for that area. We used to travel up there once in a while from Audubon area.

10-Jul-18
There ya go, Tuck! You just got the word out. Now, why not create an actual thread for these shoots? Keep it ongoing during your season. Also, notice that the PA Bowsite has a 3D event calendar. Get your shoots listed FOR EVERY SHOOT DAY. Yes, you'll be repeating yourself (it seems), but it will be on a calendar, for folks who want to see what's going on on a particular day. Also, look at past threads on this bowsite...scroll down for threads that haven't had any recent postings...and see which threads are about upcoming shoots. Notice the details given, and the responses folks post. Once you get the word out, the Archers will be looking for you. Good luck on your shoots, Tuck! (And yeppers, your breakfasts sound great!!!!!)

• Sitka Gear