Jaquomo 10-Jul-18
Stix 11-Jul-18
Anschutz 11-Jul-18
Treeline 11-Jul-18
Anschutz 11-Jul-18
tkjwonta 12-Jul-18
Anschutz 20-Aug-18
09-Jul-18
Hi all, I just joined up here after reading posts for years. I have hunted all of my life (Whitetails in GA and NY) but since moving to Colorado Springs in 2015, my hunting has been limited to small game and one weekend elk hunting last year due to time constraints. I hunted unit 47 and saw some old tracks, scat of varying freshness, 4 mule deer does, and a coyote. I am going to use a week of leave this year and hit it hard. Right now I'm trying to decide between going back to unit 47 or head to unit 82/86 on the Sangres. I have no expectations of this hunt and will kill the first legal elk that presents a shot to get some wild game back in my diet. If there is any advice to be shared on either unit, I am all ears. I have some ideas in each unit as well if I could pass it by some of you more experienced guys. Thanks Zach

10-Jul-18
Another Zach, and you spelled it correctly too! Welcome aboard. I've got no info on those GMU's.

10-Jul-18
Thanks man. Your mom must have passed phonics too. Most information I have found is old. I think I'm going to stick with 47 to start and use 86/82 as my backup unit but I think it will take every bit of 7 days to hunt 47 hard. For now I'll just keep hitting the range and getting my legs and back ready.

10-Jul-18
I'd give it 10 days if you can. People generally will not share information regarding OTC units over the web for obvious reasons, but there are elk in every OTC unit (mostly west of I-25 at least).

Pull out a map and look for north or east facing timber:

1) Generally away from roads 2) With a water source nearby (this is usually not a problem in the mountains, there are creeks and springs virtually everywhere). 3) With feeding areas nearby.

If you drew a 2" inch circle on a map with all of these features, odds are there are elk in that area.

In the mornings, get high to a good glassing point in that area and start scanning. If you do not see any fresh sign while stomping around in the timber, hike to the next drainage.

In the afternoons I nap/read/look for grouse unless something unusual happens. Plenty of people do kill elk in the middle of the day though.

If you're alone I would not venture more than 3 miles away from your truck/atv, if you knock one down getting it out will be a gongshow.

Rinse and repeat, and I bet you will find elk.

10-Jul-18
Thanks for the info woobie. I understand not giving out information. Mostly I'm looking for general information on how to find them.

10-Jul-18
Pick up Bowsiter Mat Dworak's excellent book, "Public Land Elk Hunting". You can find it on Amazon.

Then keep your calls in your pocket until you find elk so you can watch the reaction to whatever sounds you make. You'll learn a lot that way, more than just blind-calling and then hearing elk run away. Good luck and have fun!

11-Jul-18

Stix's Link
Go to this website: http://diyhunting.com/ebook/DIY_ELK_HUNTING_5.pdf An excellent book, and free!

11-Jul-18
Thanks for the link Stix. I'm reading through it now. Unfortunately, I received orders today and this will be my last elk hunt in Colorado for a while unless I get extra lucky and get sent back to Fort Carson (highly unlikely). Hopefully, I'll get to go somewhere that has good hunting but it's all luck of the draw at this point.

11-Jul-18
Pray for Alaska, Zach!

Good luck!

11-Jul-18
I 100% am. JBER would be ideal. JBLM wouldn't be bad either. My luck I get Korea and miss a year of hunting or maybe two.

12-Jul-18
I mule deer hunted twice in 47 from the dead man loop trail. Lots of hikers around the loop, so we've moved on to other units in hopes of fewer other recreationalists. I did manage to spot a few elk on a scouting trip, feel free to PM if you want more details.

20-Aug-18
Just an update. Orders got pushed to April so hunting is 100% on. My wife wanted to go backpacking since we haven't really gone this year much. I took her into the HF and we hiked in a bit and made camp. I hiked up the ridge a bit and did some poking around that night. Saw 2 Muley does, one with twin yearlings, and a mess of grouse (So I'm coming home with something at least). Got up the next morning after some rain/hail and temps in the mid 30s. I just wanted to glass the other side of the ridge so I started to the top. Saw another bunch of grouse, probably the same 4 deer, and a bobcat. Got to the top and realized it was a false summit but had a basin towards the west so I headed over to glass it. As I descended to a glassing spot, I noticed a pair of elk and also a tent. Turns out another couple was camping up in there. He was scouting for his deer tag but I finally saw elk in the unit. He gave me some insights since he doesn't have an elk tag to fill in that unit. Cool dude to chat with and hopefully I'll cross paths with that cow or the spike with her if he magically grows three more points before he sheds his velvet.

• Sitka Gear