Glunker 18-Jul-18
ground hunter 18-Jul-18
RUGER1022 18-Jul-18
casekiska 18-Jul-18
ground hunter 18-Jul-18
JF 20-Jul-18
Tweed 20-Jul-18
09-Jul-18
Do you think, if I wrote a proposal, to the WCC, next spring, asking for a Primitive Season, do you think there would be any support. I like compounds, and crossbows, but why can not there be a few days for a truly primitive season. Stick bows, and ML with side locks and no scope, for a few days, do you think there would be any support.......

Maybe I am a romantic, but I think we are missing something without one, can be in late season, I do not care, but I think a time out, and going back to a primitive hunt for for a few days would be cool.......

what do you think.... and yes it would apply to kids too.............................

09-Jul-18
I love it!

But not an ice cube's chance in hell it'll happen.

I would like to see the muzzle loader season split in half, first the trad guys than give the inline guys a chance.

Where would you place the stick bow guys? Early season in buck only counties?

09-Jul-18
I think if you requested a primitive season they would ask: ---Why can't you have your own primitive season and hunt with a stick bow during the archery season? ---Why can't you have your own primitive season and hunt with a ML with side locks and no scope during the firearms season? Personally I think it would be a great idea, but I think you might have a tough time getting it through. But, what the heck, go for it!

09-Jul-18
They will just say those weapons can be used anytime. Guns in gun season, bows in bow season and gun seasons. Currently Xbows in both but that's another story all together.

Otherwise I get your point and it is a good one but it won't happen. Minnesota has a ML season after the two regular gun seasons. But it is not primitive only, I think scopes and inline's are legal now, even in the ML only season.

09-Jul-18
I fought like crazy to keep the inlines out of the Muzzy season but I was pretty much alone in that fight. Could have used your guys help!

09-Jul-18
I like the idea, but it'll never happen. Too many snowflakes that will whine. I have brought up here many times that there should be some special management, archery only public areas. Make them draw only. Kick it up a notch and make them traditional archery only. There are states that do this with great success. But it's another thing the whine asses would pout about.

09-Jul-18
I think most of us feel there are too many seasons now. Youth, antlerless, muzzleloader, holiday.....

I wish we could go back to just an archery season, 9 day firearms, and muzzleloader with no magnification on optics. Simple and it worked fine.

10-Jul-18
This ^^^

10-Jul-18
Wisconsin had a primitive season for both bows and muzzleloaders, they were given away long ago. No sense trying again, hunters are not that intelligent.

10-Jul-18
skookumjt - I agree whole heartedly with you.

10-Jul-18
Spot on Skook! Errr.. I mean everything but the youth hunt, we need that. :)

10-Jul-18
I'd be in favor of it but do not see it happening as those weapons can now be used during other seasons. Because they appeal to a small percentage of the hunters, there would not be much support.

Blabber, I see you are starting to come out of your stupor as you now recognize the fact that crossbows do indeed have their own separate season. Amazing how forward thinking some people can be. Of course life without a steady diet of booze does help those people see clearly. You should try it.

10-Jul-18
I'm with that Skook. Waaay too many seasons already !

10-Jul-18
There is a short Trad. season already, it's the WTA Fall Hunt. It's only 6 days, not State sanctioned and requires no special license. Info is in the current Stump Shooter and will be in the next edition.

10-Jul-18
I actually don't even care for the youth hunt. About the only advantage I see are the mentors that take the opportunity to take other people's kids out because they hunt with family/friends' kids during the regular season. In reality I don't think there are that many of us that do that.

10-Jul-18
I don't agree with it either Skook but you are not able to share that you're against it. There are some that are very passionate about it and will send you PM messages calling you out. Wait a few minutes and you ll see the biggest proponent of the youth hunt saying you wouldnt be happy being hung by a new rope. And what do you have against kids, it's legal, are you afraid they are killing your deer ...etc etc etc

10-Jul-18
First two weeks in November trad only....:>) The world would run out of Kleenex......

10-Jul-18
What a joke. Fought against inlines in the muzzy season. But supports cross guns in the archery season. What a hypocrite. The one good thing about going online for CC meeting questions .....we can have a lot less delegates or do away with them completely.

10-Jul-18
Buck, his hypocrisy is driven by his wife.

11-Jul-18
There used to be, Bow season. Gun season, and Late bow season. Then "they" decided to fix something that wasn't broke. And what a mess it is ! By all means, lets keep adding to the mess. Maybe we could have special seasons for different caliber/gauges of rifles and shotguns too. Too stupid.

11-Jul-18
If I could have a wish ...... go back 20 years ago .

11-Jul-18
Tried setting a season up at Necedah NWR back in the late 90s, the Manager (Larry W.) got a lot of positive response for it but wouldn't do it because of conflicting with local gun hunters. We even tried Ft. McCoy and Kim gave us a fist up yours response, to bad it could have worked, now with the crossbow crowd good luck not going to happen I this life time in Wi. Go to McAlster,Ok for a trad hunt, it got set up right.

11-Jul-18
I have a primitive season. It's a long archery season here in Wisconsin and late season you pretty much have the woods to yourself. If you want to hunt with a selfbow or flintlock, hunt with them. Excluding others just so the primitives have the woods to themselves is, in my opinion, not a good idea,

11-Jul-18
Archery season is not a primitive season anymore.

11-Jul-18
Use to hunt Wildcat St Pk. muzzleloader TC cap&ball and was a good time. The inline came in and then the scope because of some complaints with eyesight and that was the game changer, the 50-60 yards shot went to 100-200 yard shot and in bluff country the kill spiked along with the quality. When a good hunt is developed it is always ruin, it is like making a good stew and someone comes along and piss in it. Two Feathers, hunted late season public and if you didn't have a night scope it was real tough, car door or crack of a branch and it was sterile, the ones that did kill one got a trophy imo. If you own a good seize private then it wouldn't matter, it is what it is.

11-Jul-18
"Excluding others just so the primitives have the woods to themselves is, in my opinion, not a good idea,"

So why have any specific weapon seasons? Why not just open up a general deer season from Sept 1st-Feb 1st? Any weapon you can get your hands on. Why exclude anyone? That's not fair!!!!!

12-Jul-18
That is fair Rut, likely where we are headed in a decade or so.

12-Jul-18
Not worried about one buck ....... won't affect me.

12-Jul-18
Hunted last yr in northern Mn and it was a 1 deer zone, choose your weapon.

18-Jul-18
Thats good for Minnesota. They should go to a drawing for buck tags up there. Where Im at 3 doe tags with each buck tag. I wish they would move the muzzy season to the end of December.

18-Jul-18
Primitive weapon season: Flintlock no scopes round balls or conical only, long bows no made fibers laminate in limbs no sights, arrows shafts no metal or man made material, no mechanicals broadheads

Aug 15-30 velvet antlered bucks only!

18-Jul-18
Pretty soon someone will want a special season for spears only...good grief.

18-Jul-18
Starting to sound like science fiction, but we can dream.

18-Jul-18
I agree, we do not need another season, just was fun to start a thread,,,,, anyways I just bought my first flintlock this afternoon,,,, A great plains 50 caliber flint, by Lymans.... It is left handed, and they were glad to see it go off the shelf from the gun store.....

I can not wait to get at it, have no idea of really how to use it, but will find out. I got a bug, and so for this winter, I am going to hunt and camp, for a few days, with as little as possible, in the UP....... Just another adventure before I am dead..... I learned last year do not wait for anything you want to do.. Just read the book Journey of a Trapper, it should be a cool hunt

18-Jul-18
Long , working on my 2nd Spear . 5 ft long . 4 feathers . blade is 3 in long & 1 3/4 in wide . Wt is about 3 lbs .

They fly very fast & penetration is excellent . Will request a season from the DNR when I'm ready .

18-Jul-18
My cousin & his wife came up to my hunting property one fine summer day a few years ago. He brought his atl-atl and a few darts/spears. Man, that was fun trying to learn how to do it and then to get range & accuracy. Quite the challenge! Fun! Maybe someone should ask for an atl-atl season.

18-Jul-18
They have asked for that a few times, to get it into the bow season, and even did demonstrations..... I tried it at Ojibwa in the spring, its easy..... The had a guy there from Chicago, that could hit a 3d target at 50 yards

20-Jul-18
"I think most of us feel there are too many seasons now. Youth, antlerless, muzzleloader, holiday..... I wish we could go back to just an archery season, 9 day firearms, and muzzleloader with no magnification on optics. Simple and it worked fine."

- skookumjt

Couldn't agree more.

No need for the youth (entitlement) season, crossbow (lazy and/or entitlement) season, antlerless season, etc...

Joe

20-Jul-18
I think Mississippi as an atlatl season.

GroundHunter- doesnt the UP have a trad zone season?

Hope you enjoy that flinty. My next firearm is going to be a Great Plains.

• Sitka Gear